• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using frozen pie dough scraps

phaelon56

I'm starting to make my pie dough from scratch... finally! (no news to most of you!). I typically end up with some left over dough ranging from golf ball size diameter to perhaps twice that size once the cutting scraps are bunched up together. I've been wrapping and freezing these bits 'cause I hate to waste food (more accurately: I am constitutionally incapable of it due to upbringing). Please note that they are not all from identical dough recipes.

How can I use them up at some point when I have enough collected? Some sort of cobbler.... sheperd's pie? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

You could make penny pies - little jam-filled pies for snacking, best eaten when hot. My mom always gave us little cutters and we made little cinnamon-sugar covered crisps. Or, and this may sound gross to some of you, you could EAT them! :shock:

One summer I lived with a really cool aunt of mine who had all sorts of wonderful things growing in her garden, and when the sour cherries were ready, she made a cherry cobbler for dessert. And for dinner? Pie dough scraps dipped in reduced cherry juice! :raz: She made me swear not to tell my mother, though.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

As mentioned by others in the pie crust discussion, my mom always rolled out the scraps and spread butter, sugar and cinnamon on top. Roll it up like you're making cinnamon rolls and slice it into about 1-inch pieces. Place on the baking sheet cut side down. Bake until done. She called them Pinwheels. All of us kids called them yummy. If you added some sort of fruit I suppose you could call them a poor man's rugalach.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If your doughs are not sweet... can add toasted sesame seeds and little cayenne. Roll out, cut into strips or squares, sprinkle with coarse salt (or not) to make benne wafers.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

If it is a savory dough, brush with melted butter that has had garlic steeped in it. Sprinkle with a little paprika, and bake them off. Cut into whatever size or shape you like, and use them where would use croutons.

Sweet doughs? Cinnamon thingees. Or use them for decorative purposes on the top of other pies.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

My mom always used the scraps to roll out a mini shell, dotted with butter and cinnamon sugar and baked it (she even had a small pie plate for it). That was my favorite part of her making a pie because I usually got to eat it!

I usually don't have much in the way of scraps, and I love raw pie dough, so I usually wind up eating it.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

FRIED PIES!

Let me say it again.....FRIED PIES!

I save up scraps until I have enough to make a few savory or fruit (mmmm, peach) pies and use it up that way. The pastry gets a bit tough in the freezer for more regular use (as typical pies, anyway), but it works just great for meat pies or fruit pies.

Can't go wrong with fresh fruit or spicy meat and fried dough, is what I say. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...