• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Velveeta, Cheez Wiz, Swiss Knight, etc.

Granted, these are not really cheese, but they are foods that many of us grew up eating with pleasure, believing that they were, in fact, cheese. Maybe you did, too?

Are they and their ilk now banished from your life? If not, how do you use them?

And thanks so much for putting up with silliness like this along with the many good questions you are likely to get. :biggrin:

Not silly at all.

Thinking about it, I guess the most honest response would be that if none of those are ever in my refrigerator at home, I must not have any use for them. That being said, James Coogan the master cheesemonger at Ideal Cheese on the Eastside, just told me that after sampling a cool dozen of the grand cheeses James recommended for their cheeseburger, the people responsible for the decision (the Etats Unis wine bar) went with Cheez Whiz. And guess what? It probably tastes great.

Velveeta is the cornerstone ingredient for true Tex Mex food.

I absolutely LOVE, and I do mean LOVE, my grandmothers old casserole. It's basically ground meat, macaroni noodles, tomato soup, and onions in a casserole under a half inch thick layer of velveeta cheese. Gotta cook the macaroni till it's real mushy though.

Throw it, steaming hot, right out of the oven onto a plate with LOTS of fresh cracked (not ground) pepper all over, and devour. I can literally eat 2 pounds of it easily.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand