• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best lunch in Seattle

What's your favorite lunch place?

I esp. love Salumi, Dahlia Bakery & the Frye Museum cafe

Esp. wanted to talk about the latter as it is off the beaten track of local restaurants. Had a delicious shrimp & cod chowder with my 3 yr. old son. THis is a kid who's highly suspicious of meat & fish. FOr hm to enjoy this as much as he did is a real triumph! I ordered the curry chicken sandwich & wasn't hugely impressed, but the desserts...O man were they good. I had the walnut chocoloate torte (dense & INTENSE) & my son had the bannana cake w. cream icing. Mmmm!

If you're worried about the underwhelming sandwich, I've had lots of other main courses there that were terrific & the cafe is worth a visit if you happen to be nearby.

To read an expanded version of this post, pls. check out my blog: http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_ol...lunch_in_s.html

Edited by richards1052 (log)

I like the Frye Museum cafe as well, but too often forget about it...

I just tried CC's Burgers at 26th & Union for the first time last week and I will be adding it to the regular lunch rotation. The burgers aren't mind-blowing, but it's a funky place and you can get pepper-jack cheese on your burger.

Philadelphia Fevre is probably my favorite "fat-attack" lunch place. Cheesesteaks are great and their onion rings taste like they use donut batter....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 4 weeks later...

is the frye still run by Raymond from cafe society? I loved his food.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

I, too have to commend the Frye on surprisingly good lunches. I don't remember what I ordered last time I was there (I think it was a special, as it isn't on the regular menu) but my friend had the Salad Nicoise and it was great. The egg that accompanied it was the most perfectly cooked egg I have ever had - really creamy and fresh. Okay, I know it's bad that I don't remember what I had and I'm basing this recommendation on an egg, but it was a really, really good egg. You can eat lots of good eggs, but a perfectly cooked one is a rare and true find.

I had a surprisingly good lunch at the downtown Nordstrom's Cafe about two weeks ago. I had some chicken berry salad, and it was awesome. Candied walnuts, a berry vinaigrette, tender chicken, and assorted berries seemed like a gamble but came together wonderfully. It seems like something simple to make at home - I'm just too lazy to try and figure it out.

My companions had a tasty tuna melt that came with sizable salads, and a divine pear and blue cheese salad. All were generous entries, reasonably priced ($8-10) and made with quality ingredients. And the desserts in the case looked great - I had a toffee cookie and it was instantly inhaled. The format for ordering your meal is weird - you order at the dessert bar, and then get seated and served - but seemed pretty efficient. Worth a good look.

Lastly, I love to have lunch at Le Fournil. Yes, it isn't Salumi (a place I also love for lunch) but I really like their sandwiches, and the lunch deal is fabulous - a drink, a sandwich or slice of quiche, and a selection from the pastry case for $6.99! My favorite is the bread and butter with ham and cheese sandwich, although the tuna is good, too. Lunch at Essential is good as well, but seems more expensive than Le Fournil (maybe because I always have to purchase a few chocolates on the side!).

Lastly, I love to have lunch at Le Fournil. Yes, it isn't Salumi (a place I also love for lunch) but I really like their sandwiches, and the lunch deal is fabulous - a drink, a sandwich or slice of quiche, and a selection from the pastry case for $6.99! My favorite is the bread and butter with ham and cheese sandwich, although the tuna is good, too.

I had no idea Le Fournil did lunch. Thanks for the info!

One of my favorites is Crepe de Paris. Most people forget that it exists (it's in Rainier Tower). But it has a great deck, perfect during the summer. They have savory crepes, which I prefer. And it has a relaxed atmosphere--you almost forget that you're in the heart of the downtown.

There are MANY other places for lunch (of course). But there's something particularly charming about Crepe de Paris.

--braincell

Crepe de Paris is a guilty pleasure of mine. I work across the street and we host lunches there every few months - they have a private room that seats 10 and they don't charge for it :shock:. They make very good crepes and their salads are great. Hmm, I wonder when our next meeting is?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting