• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guava Paste

maxmillan

I love guava and found the paste in a Brazilian restaurant's display. Can it be used in cheesecake, jello, buttercream....?

I like to experiment it on dessert. Someone on eGullet mentioned it can be crumbled on top of some crackers?

Has anyone used this stuff?

"Goiaba" = Guava

"Goiabada" = Guava paste

It is normally paired with a slice of cream cheese and is one of the national deserts in Brazil. My sister in law, of Irish descent, scoffed at this idea when I served it after a Brazilian meal, then found the combo a year later at a cuban place in NYC tucked into pastry triangles.

Sounds like a great idea!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I make guava jam or paste (a friend in Orange county has a couple of trees that produce a lot of fruit) and some is made with the additin of hot peppers.

I use this with cheeses and also I make beggar's bags from filo dough, filled with a slice of goat cheese, a couple of slices of cooked bratwurst and topped with the guava/pepper jam.

The combination of sweet, sour, hot and salty is fantastic.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have found two forms in a local Hispanic market (both Goya brand). One in a long, retangular brick (longer and skinnier than a Velveta box) and another in a round, metal tin. I understand the paste from the metal tin is of better quality. It is jelly like and much clearer than the retangular boxed type. I've used both for different things. The round tin paste I've for Guava cheesecakes. (hmmmm, inspiration to make some soon. Haven't had it in a while. :cool: )

In the Julia Child award winning cookbook Miami Spice by Steven Raichlen it is used with queso blanco for empanadas. They are delicious. As well as in a bbq sauce for baby back ribs. :smile:

The retangular boxed paste I've sliced off a smidge and topped, along with a spread of cream cheese on those little round crackers (also Goya, they come in two sizes). My former neighbour was from Cuba and introduced me to this yummy snack.

Try melting some guava paste with mustard (2:1) and use it as a sauce atop grilled, broiled or sauteed boneless, skinless chick breast. Perhaps squeezing a bit of mustard out of a squeeze bottle as a plate decoration. A small springkly of crisply fried onion rings (I'll settle for Durkee's or French's canned fried onions) make a nice garnish.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

In Puerto Rico we eat guava paste a lot with a hard fresh white cheese, similiar to Mexican "queso fresco." Any mild white cheese will do. Place a slice of the paste on top of the slice of the cheese.

There are also a number of desserts and cakes that use the guava paste. I also have recipes for guava-glazed ribs. These recipes are at home (I'm at work). If you want anything in particular, let me know.

The round goiabada is definitely better - more guava and less sugar. It also seems to keep in the fridge forever. I've half a round tin that I will attempt...

Try melting some guava paste with mustard (2:1) and use it as a sauce

...because I think it sounds sensational. :biggrin:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I recently made guava cheese flan (guava paste and creamcheese in a flan recipe). It was the first flan I ever made but was amazingly good - served it at a group funtion and everyone, even a few not-too-food-adventurous young boys, all scarfed it up.

I used this Guava Cheese Flan recipe from the McCormick web site because it was the firt one I found and it looked good.

I had a half tin left over and have been advised that it freezes well provided one uses the frozen portion within 3 - 4 months.

Warm knife under running water and slice the paste into a small dice, do the same to some salt queso fresco, and drop bothe of them into your mexican hot chocolate... Good stuff.

Great with salty "dulce de leche", and not so sweet tres leches cake. In some instances i prefer this product to the spanish membrillo, though it is often to sweet.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

When I worked at Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, the bakers would use it as a filling in morning pastries, sometimes in empanadas.

here is a recipe

FRESH FRUIT SALAD WITH GUAVA-LIME DRESSING

Assorted fresh fruit - berries, peaches, melons diced

1/3 cup guava paste

2 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice

put guava paste and lime juice in a blender and mix until smooth. Pour over fruit and toss. Serve immediately.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Mix it in with the cream cheese when you are making a cheesecake. Or mix it in with marscapone and chocolate bits and pipe it into a cannoli.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host