• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn Casserole recipe?

fierydrunk

When I was home in Memphis, we went to a catered rehersal dinner with a bunch of typically Southern dishes. One was this incredible corn casserole. It was sweet tasting and I believe had bread crumbs on top. Does anyone have a good recipe for this as I am craving it!!!!!

Here's my Mom's recipe:

CORN CASSEROLE

½ cup (1 stick) butter

17-oz. can corn with liquid*

17-oz. can creamed corn*

8 ½-oz. box Jiffy corn bread/muffin mix

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup sour cream**

1 cup grated cheddar cheese**

*I have never seen a 17-oz. can of corn. I think they’re usually 15-16-oz. Works fine.

**Mom & I both usually use more than this of the sour cream and cheese.

Melt butter in a 9x13 dish. Add whole corn, creamed corn & corn bread mix. Gently mix with a fork. Add eggs and mix in with fork. Drop sour cream by tablespoons over the top of the corn mixture. Dunk them under a bit. Cover top with cheddar. Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350, or until it is firm. Let cool slightly before serving or serve at room temp.

Everyone always loves this!

Deb

Liberty, MO

I refuse to use canned creamed corn and most of the recipes online do presisely that so I opt to make this recipe with fresh corn which I remove from the cob (it tastes fresher and better to me)

Beaumont Inn Corn Pudding            From Chef Nick Sundberg:

(the use of white corn makes this a different and unique version of this Kentucky classic.)

2 cups white whole kernel corn

4 eggs

4 ounces flour

1 quart milk

4 teaspoons sugar

2 ounces butter, melted

1 teaspoon salt

1. In a casserole dish, mix corn, salt, sugar and butter. Beat eggs and add to milk. Stir into the corn mixture. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and stir with long prong fork, disturbing the top as little as possible.

3. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes. Repeat stirring procedure.

4. Return to oven for 10 more minutes. Repeat stirring procedure.

5. Return to oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Top should be lightly brown and pudding should be firm.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks! They all sound perfect---fresh and canned! I like the idea of the sour cream & Jiffy b/c that sounds like what the caterer did.

Any other good Southern recipes out there? I miss home! I have a great baked cheese grits casserole and also a good biscuits recipe...any dinner recipes????

Yeah, Yeah. Fresh, schmesh. Whatever. :wink::raz::laugh:

I use canned to make this and the stuff is great and totally simple. It will be in recipe gullet shortly for you cooking and eating pleasure. Incidentally, this halves just fine. It feeds about ad dozen people this way. It's really good and there is rarely any left over.

Corn Casserole

4 tbls. butter

1 Medium yellow onion, finely chopped

1/2 Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped

1 tabasco pepper(or other small hot pepper-scotch bonnets are good here)

4 Cloves garlic, finely minced

2 Cans Whole Kernal Corn

2 Cans Creamed Corn

2 Cans Yellow Hominy

2 Cans White Hominy

1 small jar pimientos

1/2 Tsp salt

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

Sautee veg until soft, putting in garlic at the very end to avoid burning

Mix remaining ingredients in a large, greased, pyrex or ceramic dish . Bake @350F until a thin crust forms on top (about 30 min). This will look very wet when you put it together but it dries nicely in the oven.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

MM's recipe sounds like a different animal that I have to try.

The Jiffy based recipe is the old standby around here. The good thing about it is that you can do all sorts of things with it and it still works. I have added things like jalapenos, green chiles, other cheeses, sauteed onion, leave out the sour cream (cause I didn't have any), you name it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I refuse to use canned creamed corn and most of the recipes online do presisely that so I opt to make this recipe with fresh corn which I remove from the cob (it tastes fresher and better to me)

(the use of white corn makes this a different and unique version of this Kentucky classic.)

4 eggs

4 ounces flour

1 quart milk

4 teaspoons sugar

2 ounces butter, melted

1 teaspoon salt

1. In a casserole dish, mix corn, salt, sugar and butter. Beat eggs and add to milk. Stir into the corn mixture. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and stir with long prong fork, disturbing the top as little as possible.

5. Return to oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Top should be lightly brown and pudding should be firm.

I just got a bunch of corn to make a soup with, only to discover my freezer empty of chicken stock. This will do the trick. Thanks. :smile:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 5 weeks later...

What about a piece of fish?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

4 eggs

4 ounces flour

1 quart milk

4 teaspoons sugar

2 ounces butter, melted

1 teaspoon salt

I would like to try this recipe - what size casserole? And how many people do you think this will feed.

Thanks.

They all sound great. But I'm surprised to see that none of the recipes calls for any sort of pork product at all. It seems unusual for something that is a typically southern dish (most of which I have learned about on eG, and most of which call for some sort of pork product.) Just wondering if there might be a particular reason for that as far as this dish goes.

What is hominy? Is it different than grits?

As you can tell, this post is from a completely northern perspective. :laugh:

Well I can vouch for the popularity of the Jiffy corn casserole. At my office, we had a gal that brought it to every potluck luncheon and it disappeared before anything else.

I always make this corn pudding recipe at Thanksgiving. It is simple but tasty, and the use iof fresh corn will only make it better!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Pudding

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Vegetables & Sides

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 3/4 cups milk

1 stick butter -- melted

4 eggs -- beaten

20 ounces frozen corn kernels -- or 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels

2 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

dash Tabasco sauce

In a saucepan, heat the milk and gently melt the butter. Allow this to cool for a bit while you beat the eggs and chop up the corn a bit in a food processor or by hand. Don't puree it, as you want a rough texture. If using frozen corn, allow it to melt first in a colander. Mis all the ingredients together and place in a buttered 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 325° for 1 1/4 hours. The top should be lightly browned.

Source:

"The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is hominy? Is it different than grits?

Hominy is hulled corn kernels with the germ and bran removed. Often it's treated with lye. White hominy is made from white kernels, yellow hominy from yellow kernels. It's commonly sold dried or in cans. In the US Southwest it's called posole, in Mexico pozole. Grits are coarse ground hominy, corn, barley or buckwheat, usually the first.