• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Rodizio

ChefJeff

OK - bunch of family coming in for the weekend - thought I'd take a break from entertaining them and treat them to a round of rodizio.

So where does one go for a memorable meatfest ?

They do not have Rodizio in Cleveland, OH !!

Thanks in advance...

:cool:

Call Nova Terra in New Brunswick. They do this one night a week. I forget what night and I have not been but the word is that it's very good. So is the music and the mojitos are fabulous!

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

I've mentioned it here before, but I prefer Brasilia on Ferry St. in Newark (it's on the second floor). I would go for the "picanha only" option. It's not the place to hit if atmosphere is a big deal to you. Do a search here for "rodizio" and you will find a bunch of threads with many different options.

Edited by pete ganz (log)

Brazilia seems to get the most consistently favorable reviews on this site, of all the Newark rodizio places that are discussed. Terra Nova will be much pricier although the atmosphere there is nice. I think that perhaps Brazilia will offer a more "authentic" expericne also.

I've also had the rodizio at Seabra's Manor on Rte 29 (McCarter Highway - just out of the Ironbound neighborhood) and it was good but a bit too salty (rodizio is salty by nature but Seabra's seemed to be saltier than the others I've tried).

Bring a good appetite :laugh:

Seabra's Mediterranean Manor on Jefferson Street is still my favorite. I think the saltiness is fine, but some people can be highly sensitive to it. You want to go on a busy weekend night when the meat turnover is high.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Try Iberia or Iberia Penninsuala on Ferry St in Newark, very good atmosphere and moderatly priced compared to the others. If you go try the Sangria, if you are daring try the BLUE Sangria. If you really want to impress order the Rodezia for the table and get one of Iberia's 8 pound lobsters for the table to split. Did that two years ago with family visiting out of state and they are still talking about that meal.

Try Iberia or Iberia Penninsuala on Ferry St in Newark, very good atmosphere and moderatly priced compared to the others.

But if atmosphere is important, Peninsula is a bit more run-down, imho. Same owners, and they're diagonally across from one another and you can still park in the lot next to Peninsula, but I prefer Iberia's atmosphere/decor.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I don't know what area you are in, but, for the best rodizio (and I've tasted a lot of them) hands down is:

Solar do Minho

15 Cleveland St., Belleville

(973) 844-0500

Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. seven days a week.

Also, if you are taking people there it is really an attractive and conversation generating restaurant. I would highly suggest making a reservation because they get very busy no matter if its a weekday night or a weekend night. Hope you try it and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. Besides the rodizio, the grilled meat platter is delicious (it's a very large sampling of the rodizio meats, their filet mignon is wonderful and for a treat the sizzling steak on a shingle is a conversation piece (especially for people from Cleveland- lol).

Don't just take my opinion read what the Star Ledger crew had to say about it in 2002 by just clicking on the link that Pete Ganz posted above. That's how good they were in 2002 and now it's 2004 and they are still serving up delicious rodizio.

Edited by nizza (log)

• 9 months later...

Been exploring the various rodizio threads here on the NJ Forum. I haven't found any significant comments on rodizio since last July, so I thought I'd use this one to ask two questions:

1) Any updated recommendations of rodizio places, specifically in Newark?

2) I've noted a lot of comments about saltiness in the food at various places. This is of concern to me. What's the deal with salt & rodizio? Is heavy salt an essential element of the prep?

Thanks.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

2) I've noted a lot of comments about saltiness in the food at various places.  This is of concern to me.  What's the deal with salt & rodizio?  Is heavy salt an essential element of the prep?

Thanks.

Yes, they coat the meat with kosher salt before grilling and whack it off when the meat is done by banging the back of a large knife on the bottom of the spit.

Thanks. Though that puts rodizio off the menu for me, it's good to know something about the process.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 9 months later...

Ironbound rodizio update: I was in the area this week and dragged a colleague over to Ferry Street for dinner at Brasilia. They have closed the second floor ferry Street location and are now about a half block south and a few hundred feet west of Ferry Street on Madison.

It's called Brasilia Grill and is in a ground level space that is much more spacious and upscale than the old spot. Prices have gone up a bit. IIRC they used to sell rodizio only (no salad bar) for about $18 and $20 with the salad bar. It's now offered only with the salad bar and runs $21.95 complete. For $22.95 you can have top sirloin only (they just keep bringing top sirloin and don't make you wait for more while other meats are brought around in succession).

It's a bit cheaper for lunch and about $1 or $2 more on Friday and Saturday nights. But service was excellent and the meat was great - beautiful char, very nice selection and just the right amountof salt - salty but not overly so. Desserts were reasonable at $3 each. My coconut flan was so-so by my friend had dulce de leche that was very good.

Definitely still a place worth visiting.

A bunch of us are going tomorrow night to Solar Di Minho in Belleville.

We were there about 6 weeks ago with some other friends and their food is just the best. None of that over salty taste. I think those other restaurants do that so that you get sick of the taste fast and don't eat too much (and drink a lot more) therefore making a good profit on it.

Solar's rodizio still only costs $18.00 and for the quality of the meat and selection it is well worth it.

Solar Do Minho

folks, i have never been more passionate about one restaurant....for rodizio, hands down you have to dine at fernandez in newark. its not on ferry but the atmosphere, service and meats selections are top notch. ok service may be "newarkish" but the food cant be beat....by anyone down there

folks, i have never been more passionate about one restaurant....for rodizio, hands down you have to dine at fernandez in newark. its not on ferry but the atmosphere, service and meats selections are top notch. ok service may be "newarkish" but the food cant be beat....by anyone down there

Good to know! What street is it on?

Lori

We were there about 6 weeks ago with some other friends and their food is just the best.  None of that over salty taste. I think those other restaurants do that so that you get sick of the taste fast and don't eat too much (and drink a lot more) therefore making a good profit on it.

Solar Do Minho

That's the traditional Brazilian way of making churrasco...I don't believe they're doing it "so you get sick of the taste fast". Solar is Portuguese owned, so possibly it's different there. I liked the rodizio at Solar just fine, but the seafood dishes have been mediocre in my opinion. It's definitely a good option if you're in the area.

There's a good new Brazilian place that just opened in Kearny. It's on Hoyt and Davis. I can't recall the name (it might be "Rodizio"), but there's a big metal bull in front of the place...you can't miss it. Rather inexpensive compared to the places in Newark.

Our faithful Dangerous Dining Club scouts were so impressed with Brasilia, that we've scheduled a Philly area DDC road trip there on March 4. I can't wait. If it's as good as any of my meals at Fernandez, Seabra's in Perth Amboy or Iberia, it's gonna be fabulous.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Brasilia Grill is my favorite in Newark - it's about 100 times better than Seabra's, which I think of as Grade B meat. I really, really do not like Seabras and we've been there several times for work-related events, so its not based upon one or two visits. Brasilia Grill, we've done three times, and it's always been good. Service was accomodating, and the included alcoholic beverages for large parties are actually pretty good all things considering.

Is it as good as Churrascaria Plataforma on 49th in New York City? No, not quite, but it IS very good.

I need to try Fernandez, though... Is that the full name? Where is it?

Brasilia Grill is my favorite in Newark - it's about 100 times better than Seabra's, which I think of as Grade B meat.  I really, really do not like Seabras and we've been there several times for work-related events, so its not based upon one or two visits.  Brasilia Grill, we've done three times, and it's always been good.  Service was accomodating, and the included alcoholic beverages for large parties are actually pretty good all things considering.

Is it as good as Churrascaria Plataforma on 49th in New York City? No, not quite, but it IS very good.

I need to try Fernandez, though...  Is that the full name?  Where is it?

Fernandes 2 Steak House

158 Fleming Ave.

Newark, New Jersey 07105

Our faithful Dangerous Dining Club scouts were so impressed with Brasilia, that we've scheduled a Philly area DDC road trip there on March 4.  I can't wait.  If it's as good as any of my meals at Fernandez, Seabra's in Perth Amboy or Iberia, it's gonna be fabulous.

I've added your event to the What's Happening in NJ page: link