• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If eGulleters Ran Taste of Chicago

gmi3804

I was thinking about Taste of Chicago, what it serves, and what I'd like it to serve. Then I started thinking, what if eGulleters programed The Taste? What kind of things would we brave the heat and crowds for? It became a bit funny to think about the things I'd like to try. Some examples:

• TRU's Caviar Staircase
  • Moto's "Syringe" Soups
  • A Trio "composed" salad

What would you like to see?

A whole bunch of good Mexican food, with carnitas from Lazo's and tortillas from Nuevo Leon, with Dean's strawberry tequila and somehow the entire beer supply moved from the Map Room to Grant Park.

Noise is music. All else is food.

On a less fancy note, how about some of the roasted mushrooms from Cafe Iberico...

And some of their blood sausage, their olives, their pickled garlic, their smoked salmon with green peppercorn sauce, their . . . :blink:

I'm sure I'd plunk down (at least) a few tickets for Les Nomades' seafood terrine.

On a less fancy note, how about some of the roasted mushrooms from Cafe Iberico...

Ha! I was going to mention the cheese course at Les Nomades :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Oooh - how about the bacon-wrapped dates from Meson Sabika (in Northfield)?

Yep, Northfield...although they do have other locations (one for sure in Naperville). Their Northfield location is directly below the desk I'm sitting at right now and I've never tried these... :smile:

=R=

Deep Dish Demolition Derby!  Last pizza standing gets bragging rights for the year.

Could we somehow incorporate that ferris wheel into this event? :biggrin::raz:

=R=

And some of their blood sausage, their olives, their pickled garlic, their smoked salmon with green peppercorn sauce, their . . . :blink:

:biggrin:

Don't forget some of those great dry sherries, to drink with all the food!

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

A whole bunch of good Mexican food, with carnitas from Lazo's and tortillas from Nuevo Leon, with Dean's strawberry tequila and somehow the entire beer supply moved from the Map Room to Grant Park.

Also the entire beer inventory from Hopleaf (for comparison and contrast), with plenty of those mussels steamed in beer!

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

It would be great to have "streets" where a part of the city known for a specific type of cuisine could put up a variety of different offerings for comparing/contrasting - for example, there could be a "Devon Ave" highlighting a variety of Indian foods. That way, the tourists would know where to go if they wanted to try more.

--adoxograph

Yep, Northfield...although they do have other locations (one for sure in Naperville). Their Northfield location is directly below the desk I'm sitting at right now and I've never tried these... :smile:

=R=

You wrote that at 11:15 this morning.

So, how did you like them?!? :biggrin:

=R=

Didn't get down there today. Forgot about a lunch meeting we had scheduled. :sad:

But...they are a definite for tomorrow! :smile:

=R=

Deep Dish Demolition Derby!  Last pizza standing gets bragging rights for the year.

I like this game.

How about food cooking competitions.

- Like spiciest vindaloo.

- Best cheesecake.

Or how about eating competitions.

- How many ribs can a Heartlander eat?

- How many Italian beef can a Midwestern?

Absolutely nothing may be served on a stick.

And come on, Ronnie, gotta have an orange whip for the members of the Illinois Law Enforcement Community!

Oh yes, and the martini of margaritas--from Cafe Las Bellas Artes in Elmhurst.

Absolutely nothing may be served on a stick.

And come on, Ronnie, gotta have an orange whip for the members of the Illinois Law Enforcement Community!

Oh yes, and the martini of margaritas--from Cafe Las Bellas Artes in Elmhurst.

LMAO! Fully agreed on the first 2, and I'll take your word for it on #3 until I have the pleasure myself. :biggrin:

=R=

Margaritas from Frontera Grill!

The limoncello shots from Club Lago!

Road Rash Mary's from the Twisted Spoke!

For eating--who's going to do the fries?

=R=

Didn't get down there today. Forgot about a lunch meeting we had scheduled. :sad:

But...they are a definite for tomorrow! :smile:

=R=

Ok! Finally had the bacon-wrapped dates today (along with several other dishes :wink:) at Meson Sabika in Northfield and if they were the only thing served at Taste, it might still be worth the trip. Absolutely fantastic! :biggrin:

=R=