• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

beer and cream

ned

On Friday a Ukrainian friend named Ludmilla mixed me a drink using Ukrainian stout beer and sour cream. Tasted a little chocolaty. . . but ultimately to me was kind of undrinkable. She claims this concoction has cleansing properties or something. Anybody heard of this?

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Beer + ice cream is not unheard of... pretty tasty too. Porter milkshakes, anyone? But sour cream + stout does sound a little bit on the acidic side. Is ukranian stout sourish, or sweetish? And how well was your friend's concoction blended together. Nothing says unappetizing like lumps in your beverage.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The beer is sweetish, not as dark as Guiness and not at all light. More carbonated for sure. The sour cream is spooned in and stirred. Clumpy.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 weeks later...