• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East Coast eGulleteer visiting Seattle

There's a McCormick & Schmicks on the lake within easy walking distance of your hotel. Qualifies for cheap eats at happy hour, but othewise not noteworthy. Well, other than getting a cockroach in the sauce once.

Just some quick numbers for your car decision: Airport shuttle from Gray Line is about $11, but I don't know if they go to your hotel (they do go to ones close by with a transfer). By Metro bus it's $1.25 or $2.00, but can take an hour or more with transfer. By cab it's $35 or so. From shuttle express it's not worth it, almost as expensive as a cab and almost as slow as Metro. Bicycle rental info at http://www.cascade.org/Community/rental.cfm, Alpine Hut on 15th W or Bikestation downtown look most convenient.

Give the Masalisa Tea House in Ballard a try if you're into homey carefully prepared Japanese lunches, plus home made desserts and a huge selection of teas.

2213 NW Market St #100

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Okay... here's the tentative plan... an eGullet gathering will be held on Wednesday July 7th - exact location to be determined but it is to be a Hot Pot dinner (somewhere int he International District I presume). I should imagine that early evening... perhaps 7'ish would work? I don't know how late you Seattlites tend to work and how early/late you eat but anytime after 6 PM is okay with me.

So far we have Sequim and MsRamsey in attendance along with yours truly - the bigger the group the more we get to sample, right? Just jump in on this thread to indicate if you're interested in joining us and we'll figure out the exact logistics as we get closer to the date.

I can't get authentic Mexican in my neck 'o da woods so Tuesday dinner will be mexican - thus far have one person joining me but more are always welcome :biggrin:

Duoh! Posted on the wrong thread! :wacko:

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The trip is still on and Wednesday the 7th appears to be the best day for an eGullet hot pot gathering. I'll PM everyone on this list to confirm a specific place and am operatign undetr the assumption that 7 PM is still a good time.

Participants (? indicates that they were tentative)

White Lotus

Malarkey

Schielke?

LaurieA-B

laurel

MsRamsey

LEdlund

sequim

ned?

Anyone else who wants to jump in and join us, please PM me or reply to this thread. I will be needing a ride or a bus suggestion - renting a bicycle has proven to be almost as pricey as renting a car and doesn't seem worth the trouble.

...the U-District Tibetan hot pot mentioned on the hot pot thread? (sorry, I can't seem to find the thread).

Our previous HotPot discussions were actually part of the Lo Sichuan thread.

Sorry we'll miss out on yet another eG gathering. We'll be in London pestering our newborn niece and eating pig-parts at St John. :biggrin:

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I'm a Vietnamese food (and iced coffee w/condensed milk) junkie so thje tips are appreciated.

i could suggest endlessly, so i appreciate that you've honed in on one cuisine that you want.

for Vietnamese, i think you can't go wrong with Saigon Bistro in the I.D.

the decor is nil, but the food is spectacular and it's very, very authentic. if you want more deli-style Vietnamese, walk a block up Jackson to either Saigon Deli or Seattle Deli (actually on 12th just north of Jackson), where you'll find freshly made banh mi, goi cuon and hot tables of anything imaginable. and coffee, of course.

Jackson's an arterial, so public transit should be easy, if you opt against the car.

if you want something a bit more fusion, the newly opened Baguette Box does banh mi-style offerings in a slightly haute way.

most of the other options listed in the thread are pretty good, though. and there's really no end to the possibilities. if nothing else, take a spin through the Market and enjoy some of the storefront options, like Pike Place Chowder.

hope it helps!

Looks like there's a slight preference for the I-D, so let's do that. How about Sichuanese Cuisine (the one on the northwest corner of 12th and Jackson, next to Thanh Vi, not the one on the southeast corner on the 2nd floor)? I can call them in a few days and warn them to expect 8-10 for hot pot.

Thanks Laurel. Please post to confirm here once you have the res made and I'll get back to you with whatever the number is that have confirmed. I think right now it's six including me but that number may rise.

OT but so bizarre it's worth commenting on: renting a decnt bike in Seattle with a helmet and a lock is $30 per day plus tax. I can rent a car for $31 with taxes and fees included. Is that bizarre or what?

OT but so bizarre it's worth commenting on:  renting a decnt bike in Seattle with a helmet and a lock is $30 per day plus tax.  I can rent a car for $31 with taxes and fees included.  Is that bizarre or what?

Okay, I'll bite. If you want to bring a helmet, I have a 19" 12 speed bike with flat tires and a heavy lock. You are welcome to borrow it. Of course, that was sized for a 5'-3" person, and I believe it may be small for you.

Or, you can pick up a used bike from the place - in the U-district - near Agua Verde,and resell it to them?

Recycled Cycles

1007 Northeast Boat Street, Seattle, WA 98105

(206) 547-4491

I'm just going to bus it and maybe rent a car for one day if I go up to Olympia. Plenty of walking is cool too, what with the food I'll need to burn off.

I'm going to post the eG Hot Pot gathering as a separate thread now to ensure that anyone not aware of it has a chance to pipe up and join in.