• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Many Pelmeni

Andy Lynes

The first time I tried pelmeni soup was in a fast-food restaurant near-hidden in the warren of streets surrounding New York's financial district. The name of the restaurant -- Blini Hut -- drew me in . . .

Kara Newman in search of a Russian classic.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

My Russian professor in college used to have us over to her house every once in a while for Russian dinners, and pelmeni was almost always on the table. I haven't had it since then, but your article sure makes me want some; I'd also like to get my hands on some good borscht, but I digress.

Pelmeni are Siberian in origin. They could be considered the original "frozen convenience food"?

A citation from the best recipe I could find at:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/food/food.html

"When one says "pelmeni" he thinks of the traditional Siberian pelmeni with a meat filling and frozen before fhey are cooked. Frozen pelmeni are also traditional in the northern regions of Russia. Freezing gives them a peculiar sapid flavour. When the frosts set in, pelmeni are made in quantities running into the thousands. They are laid on floured boards, carried outside to freeze, then packed in large sacks and stored away until needed. "

Like most traditional ethnic foods, there are myriad variations on the theme.

Thanks for the kind words. And JosephB, thanks for not minding that I put you in the story. :smile:

srhcb, that's an interesting link, thanks. I also recommend this one: Russian Cuisine.com If you scroll down the page, you'll see the ad that astounded me -- for a special mold designed for making pelmeni!

One final thought on the pervasion of meat dumplings throughout so many cultures (pelmeni, won-tons, tortellini, etc.). My opinion is that it has much to do with the need throughout history for families to make do with little -- in particular, using inexpensive dough to s-t-r-e-t-c-h limited portions of meat to feed families. I'd love to hear other theories too, please post them here!

One final thought on the pervasion of meat dumplings throughout so many cultures (pelmeni, won-tons, tortellini, etc.). My opinion is that it has much to do with the need throughout history for families to make do with little -- in particular, using inexpensive dough to s-t-r-e-t-c-h limited portions of meat to feed families. I'd love to hear other theories too, please post them here!

Meat and/or vegetables wrapped in dough are endemic to nearly all cultures, as you state, as a means of stretching the available protein foods, but they have several other advantages too.

Scraps and parts that might not be enticing when served alone could be disguised, both in appearance and taste, by using this method of preparation. Things like internal organs and meat beginning to spoil could be utilized in this way.

When prepared they became easily portable and required only one pot for cooking and serving of the entire meal. This would have been a very important consideration for nomadic peoples.

Also, once boiled they would keep for several days longer than the raw ingredients alone, in the case of pelmeni and the Siberians, they could even be frozen for use at a much later date.

Especially in historical cooking, Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

SB

Scraps and parts that might not be enticing when served alone could be disguised, both in appearance and taste, by using this method of preparation. Things like internal organs and meat beginning to spoil could be utilized in this way.

Oh yes, like this favorite but much less known russian dish - deep fried pirozhki with chicken gizzards :smile:

Though my Russian heritage is limited, it was as if the taste were inherited from distant bloodlines, as if affection for the dish lay dormant, waiting to be awakened with the first spoonful.

I love this imagery!! Great article.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs