• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mole Paste - talk to me, please

Anna N

Yeah, yeah, I know I should make it from scratch but it isn't going to happen today!

I have opened a jar of "Dona Maria" mole paste but I need only a couple of tablespoons. The jar has a lid that must be pried open with a bottle opener. Can I transfer to another jar and store the remainder? Does it need to be refrigerated? Frozen? How long will it keep?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If canned or jarred mole is like homemade but with more preservatives then I would assume that you can store it. I made a big batch of mole about 2 months ago and have let one plastic container of it sit in my fridge for about half of that time and it doesn't even smell funny.

I would transfer it to some tupperware, keep it covered and refrigerated, but I think you should be fine...

by the way, how is that stuff? Any good?

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Thanks. I will put it in a clean sealed jar and hope it is OK - it looks pretty much indestructible!

I wish I could tell you but I really have nothing worthwhile to compare it to. I have made my own but having never eaten any other I am incapable of making a rational comparison. When the dish has been cooked - later this evening - I will give you an opinion as to whether or not we like it. :biggrin:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

good deal.

I bet that if you found a decent recipe online that it is pretty close to a traditional mole. We happen to have a great authentic Oaxacan Mexican restaurant here in SLC and the recipe I use is theirs...and boy, is it good...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I store it in the fridge in a glass jar so that it doesn't smell up the rest of the fridge. It keeps a long time, sort of like the Thai curry pastes. I have thrown some out after a few months because it finally developed some moldy spots.

I really rather like the Dona Maria. I don't feel any more guilt than I do about using the Thai premade curry pastes. Given what a PITA they are to make, the choice is usually mole/no mole or curry/no curry so guess which way I go. Yes, I have made them from scratch when I wanted a project for a rainy day. Homemade is very good but not good enough to do all the time. I certainly wouldn't make it myself on a Tuesday evening when I am trying to figure out what to do with the left over chicken. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

such cruelty to moles - how do you dig them up first?

seriously though, we don't have much choice in mole spicings over here (UK) but the cool chili company does an excellent dry spice mix which only needs chocolate and lime to bring it up to speed. - I have made this into a paste before and it keeps in the freezer well; I presume the pre-made pastes would keep similarly (you might want to freeze in an ice-cube tray).

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I store it in the fridge in a glass jar so that it doesn't smell up the rest of the fridge. It keeps a long time, sort of like the Thai curry pastes. I have thrown some out after a few months because it finally developed some moldy spots.

I really rather like the Dona Maria. I don't feel any more guilt than I do about using the Thai premade curry pastes. Given what a PITA they are to make, the choice is usually mole/no mole or curry/no curry so guess which way I go. Yes, I have made them from scratch when I wanted a project for a rainy day. Homemade is very good but not good enough to do all the time. I certainly wouldn't make it myself on a Tuesday evening when I am trying to figure out what to do with the left over chicken. :raz:

Thanks, Fifi - it's a recipe I wanted to try and for 2 TBS it just didn't seem reasonable to start from scratch - why oh why do I need justification - must be my guilty conscience :wacko: I don't milk a cow and churn my own butter either. :laugh:

My 2004 eG Blog

I've had a bottle of that Dona Maria in my closet for about a year. And it may never be opened now that I discovered a loyal purveyor who sells a really good product.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

good deal.

I bet that if you found a decent recipe online that it is pretty close to a traditional mole. We happen to have a great authentic Oaxacan Mexican restaurant here in SLC and the recipe I use is theirs...and boy, is it good...

I promised a report - dull, dull, dull! It had none of the freshness or complexity I recall from my first attempt at a mole dish from scratch. I keep thinking "muddy" - I guess I need a vocabulary to describe taste experiences but maybe "mole" (the animal) and muddy connect reasonably well :wacko:

My 2004 eG Blog

good deal.

I promised a report - dull, dull, dull! It had none of the freshness or complexity I recall from my first attempt at a mole dish from scratch. I keep thinking "muddy" - I guess I need a vocabulary to describe taste experiences but maybe "mole" (the animal) and muddy connect reasonably well :wacko:

Did you reconstitute it with stock? Stock will make a big difference in the end result. I think Dona Maria is passable, but certainly not in comparison to homemade, which is a task. But I freeze several jars after making it and it holds well that way.

A friend who grew up in Mexico swears by Dona Maria mole. I did not like the Dona Maria Pipian, though.

Ooooohh, I got so sick from Dona Maria, I thought I was going to die. I love mole but was defeated by one 'from-scratch' debachle. So I bought the damned jar, added fresh stock 1:1, used fresh ingredients as always from reputable sources, and I haven't had cramps/poisoning that bad since.

Needless to add, I'm casually shopping for mole recipes...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Did you reconstitute it with stock? Stock will make a big difference in the end result. I think Dona Maria is passable, but certainly not in comparison to homemade, which is a task. But I freeze several jars after making it and it holds well that way.

A friend who grew up in Mexico swears by Dona Maria mole. I did not like the Dona Maria Pipian, though.

Yes, reconstituted with home-made chicken stock (made according to the eGCI lesson).

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you reconstitute it with stock?  Stock will make a big difference in the end result.  I think Dona Maria is passable, but certainly not in comparison to homemade, which is a task.  But I freeze several jars after making it and it holds well that way.

A friend who grew up in Mexico swears by Dona Maria mole.  I did not like the Dona Maria Pipian, though.

Yes, reconstituted with home-made chicken stock (made according to the eGCI lesson).

Well then I'm afraid that's as good as Dona Maria's will get. Actually, if you make the whole jar and simmer some turkey or chicken thighs in it for an hour or so, it will get better, but only a little. :wink: