• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A: Cooking With Disabilities

iI have used the electric "go-carts" at the grocery store for shopping a few times when I got there and realized that I could not do the job even hanging onto the grocery cart. They can be helpful when needed -- you just have to realize that you will be making new friends at the store when you need those items on higher shelves. :biggrin:

I go to the market with my cane and my long reach grabber, (plus the scooter), because I usually try to shop during off hours when there are fewer people in the store for me to run over with my scooter. However, during those times there are usually no people in the aisle in which I find myself, needing help to get something from a top shelf.

The scooter has given me more range, I can go to farmer's markets again, and mainly I can get around Costco and Sam's Club on my own. I love it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I usually try to shop during off hours when there are fewer people in the store for me to run over with my scooter.  However, during those times there are usually no people in the aisle in which I find myself, needing help to get something from a top shelf.

This is such a perfect example of what I find stressful sometimes -- the sense that solutions sometimes beget their own complications. Gain the space for the scooter but lose the ready help reaching stuff. Oh my god, I just realized my real problem -- I think I'm supposed to be able to figure everything out. Eek!

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I usually try to shop during off hours when there are fewer people in the store for me to run over with my scooter.  However, during those times there are usually no people in the aisle in which I find myself, needing help to get something from a top shelf.

This is such a perfect example of what I find stressful sometimes -- the sense that solutions sometimes beget their own complications. Gain the space for the scooter but lose the ready help reaching stuff. Oh my god, I just realized my real problem -- I think I'm supposed to be able to figure everything out. Eek!

I have an imperfect solution. Keep a piece of paper with you and as you find something out of reach, add it to the list. When finished with all your other shopping, get the store manager to find someone to get those items for you. Don't be bashful about it. They have an obligation to help.

Catch 22 gets everyone, so try not to stress out if your solutions beget yet more problems.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I have an imperfect solution. Keep a piece of paper with you and as you find something out of reach, add it to the list. When finished with all your other shopping, get the store manager to find someone to get those items for you. Don't be bashful about it. They have an obligation to help.

Catch 22 gets everyone, so try not to stress out if your solutions beget yet more problems.

Brilliant! I want you available to me 24/7 as other questions arise -- not a problem, I hope? :)

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to do shopping in the off hours also. When I was still able to get myself there I'd go in the middle of the night if I was up anyway working on a project, or very early in the morning was great. Now, I have to depend on someone, usually my mr, who sleeps or works during the off hours, to take me. Almost every solution has an attendant new problem tagging along.

Thanks for the suggestion about the list at the grocery store, Mottmott. There are even many stores that you can contact by phone or through their web site that will gather all your groceries together for you then either deliver them, or allow you to spend much less time in the store while you pick out items you may want to do on your own, or just go and check out. It is worth looking into the services your favorite store may provide for you.

Often the grocery is the only place I get out in the public during a particular month, depending on whether I am here alone, or on my own physical ability, and my mr's schedule, to get away from the house. So far, I treasure that outing too much to give it up once or twice a month. I often request that mr stay in the truck -- just want to do something on my own, without the invisible leash. I don't mind asking for help and have not had any bad experiences with store employees helping me to find (screwy vision) or reach products. Mottmott is right. That's exactly what they get paid for. Wouldn't want to deprive anyone of fulfilling their job. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I came across this while browsing a knife purchase, dunno how usefu it might be (kind of expensive), but thought it might be good for people to know about.

http://www.bestknives.com/spfbma.html

Thanks, Samhill for the link. The knife is very interesting; looks functional and the design incorporates safety features. :biggrin:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I came across this while browsing a knife purchase, dunno how usefu it might be (kind of expensive), but thought it might be good for people to know about.

Thanks, Samhill for the link. The knife is very interesting; looks functional and the design incorporates safety features. :biggrin:

Check your local Wal-Mart, if you are near one. They now have an Ulu knife with a generous grip and a very reasonable price, (less than $10.00) which is easy to hold for someone who has arthritic hands.

Ulu knife

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Check your local Wal-Mart, if you are near one. They now have an Ulu knife with a generous grip and a very reasonable price, (less than $10.00) which is easy to hold for someone who has arthritic hands.

Ulu knife

Through that web site the Ulu knife listed at $17.99 and with the wooden cutting bowl it is $39.99. This makes it as cheap with the cutting bowl as the other is for only the knife, and I like the the hole grip handle better. Cutting bowl on one side and flat surface on the other.The sharpener is $8.99. So a good deal all around especially if you wrestle with sharpening, and this will extend the life of your tool.

I'm putting it all on my list for myself, and for my mom who has arthritis and is leary of traditional sharp knives. :biggrin:

Will also check Wal-Mart for Ulu knife at under $10.

Thanks, andisenji. This web site has many products for people with various disabilities, and the links on the left are categorized by disabilities, such as vision, hearing, arthritis, etc. Looks like another good resource. :cool:

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

Thanks, andisenji. This web site has many products for people with various disabilities, and the links on the left are categorized by disabilities, such as vision, hearing, arthritis, etc. Looks like another good resource. :cool:

I've had an Ulu knife for several years and it cuts better than most mezalunas but it takes a little getting used to the different grip but once you get used to it you will find it very handy.

I used to make trophies for the Siberian Husky club (engraved glass pictures of sibes) and one year they offered Ulu knives with a Siberian head engraved into the knife as class prizes.

I happened to mention that I collected knives and would love to have one and the club gave me an extra one. I really didn't use it for a long time, it was a novelty item. However when I began having more trouble with the arthritis in my right hand I thought of it and gave it a try. I was surprised at how easy it was to use.

Do you have this site?Tools for disabled

I just read through the Cooking with Disabilities II and III, and can't begin to say how much I appreciate having that information out there for people to read. My five year old has Asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism) and we've had so many food and eating related issues to deal with over the years. He has delayed fine motor skills, so using utensils is difficult for him. He also has poor muscle tone so sitting in a chair can be difficult without a special cushion to help "ground" him. He has sensory issues that affect the way food feels and how he reacts to it. He also tends to chew and bits non food items, so his teeth have become chipped and worn, which causes him pain (we're working with his dentist to address this). Also similar food obsessions which we have to deal with carefully. He had many food allergies when he was younger, along with GERD (reflux) that meant we had to be very careful with the foods he ate to avoid causing him pain. Medication was also a big issue, since he needed some that tasted very bad. We were able to teach him to swallow pills by age 3 with a lot of work, and that has been really helpful (Susan, I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but I'd be happy to pass along what we did).

There are so many facets to dealing with a child who needs "more", and one of the hardest can how to deal with food, both eating and preparing it. Ryan has great difficulty preparing any food for himself due to his fine motor issues, so we have a shelf for him containing carrots, celery, string cheese, ham, apples, things he can grab and eat and that don't require spreading or opening. We also have the TV and radio off during dinner, and don't allow toys at the table since he tends to get distracted from the difficult task of using a fork or spoon.

On my part, I deal with arthritis in my hands, which makes food prep harder when my hands get really bad. I've developed my own work arounds for those times and have gotten more ideas from the classes.

Thanks to all who put this series together. Very well done.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Thanks, Tejon, for taking the time to read and respond. Most people simply think that if we MAKE Heidi eat everything, things will be fine and she will become "normal." It is in real life, quite different.

Yes, I would appreciate your tips on swallowing pills. One of her meds, as I stated earlier (I think) is a very nasty liquid, and if we could get pills down, it would be most helpful.

Did you note Heidi's chair? It is really cool, and offers, because the back is contoured, quite a bit of support. It would not be difficult to fashion a cushion for it, and you might find that the adjustable foot-rest provides added grounding. I would assume your son's feet don't touch the floor in a regular chair.

Remember, for you, when your hands are not working like you want, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using pre-cut up stuff.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Also, tejon, in addition to the option of pre-cut foods for cooking, it is often very helpful for me to parboil or partially saute whole veggies and brown meats to ease cutting tasks. Raw meat can be so difficult to handle and the browning gives it some grip. You might ask your butcher or grocery meat man for help in that department also. I have found them to be quite willing to help me out with cutting tasks when needed.

Thank you for reading, and for joining the discussion.

Judith Love

I saw that chair and really liked it - I have a feeling that having his feet touching something would really help. Susan, I'll send you a message with what we did to help him take pills. Our occupational therapist has passed our notes along to several other parents who have been able to use them. Warms my heart that we could help anyone else dealing with similar issues. I've had to learn a lot about sensory issues over the years and try to pass on anything we've found that helps.

Thankfully, my arthritis isn't bad except occasionally, and those days I tend to do less labor intensive foods or one pot dishes. I also rely more on my mini chopper during those times, though usually I love the zen like task of slicing and cutting. My husband is also happy to take over if I need it - though I'll admit to being pretty stubborn and asking for help less often than I actually could use it.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I saw that chair and really liked it - I have a feeling that having his feet touching something would really help.

Many school systems have programs where you can try out different equipment before purchasing an expensive item. If you are working with an OT or PT they should be able to help you.

In the mean time, why not try a box or a bunch of phone books underneath your son's chair. Chances are that if his feet are supported he will squirm less. Adults often forget how uncomfortable it is to sit without your feet supported, mainly because they have not experienced this in a long time :wink:

Hope that helps.

I saw that chair and really liked it - I have a feeling that having his feet touching something would really help.

Emma has the same chair, and having somewhere to rest her feet has made a big difference for her. The original version is about $200, but The Right Start catalog (or One Step Ahead - will check on that) has their own version for $99. Ours came with a cushion.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The difference between the one available at One Step Ahead and the more expensive Tripp Trapp is that the latter has accessories available -- a pommel (abductor), belt, higher back (an option), tray, and a thing to keep a baby in it (sort of a waist cage).

For a child who cannot sit independently, I remember well when Heidi was about 3+ and could not sit on her own. This was before the Tripp Trapp. We used to put her into a standard high chair and put a rolled up long towel just behind her knees toward her thighs.

Yes, the grounding of feet can be essential.

If Heidi's feet dangle, she cannot attend to task. She can't eat. She can't nap in the car.

Many school systems have programs where you can try out different equipment before purchasing an expensive item.    If you are working with an OT or PT they should be able to help you. 

Our school district is underfunded and has been very difficult to deal with. We've had to fight tooth and nail for the occupational therapy he now receives and are looking at most likely getting a lawyer next (they have broken the law on many occasions, from omitting things to outright deception). No such programs exist, or if they do, they haven't been offered to us. </rant> Sorry - very sore spot for me. I wish we didn't have to fight so hard.

In the mean time, why not try a box or a bunch of phone books underneath your son's chair.  Chances are that if his feet are supported he will squirm less.  Adults often forget how uncomfortable it is to sit without your feet supported, mainly because they have not experienced this in a long time :wink:

We tried using his step stool from the bathroom under his feet at dinner tonight and it really helped. Thanks for the idea! I know how it feels to have unsupported feet. I'm only 5' 1" and only rarely find chairs that allow me to set my toes on the floor.

Kathy

I am only 5'2 and have a terrible time if my feet aren't touching the ground. I end up crossing my legs underneath me.

As for the school stuff, it's frustrating on the other side of the desk as well. All most of us want to do is teach. But that's another conversation.

I'm glad the stool trick worked. Keep it in mind when you go to dine out or at friends/relatives houses. I know a family who discovered that everyone in their family could have a wonderful time dining out when one member of the family had her feet supported.

I am only 5'2 and have a terrible time if my feet aren't touching the ground. I end up crossing my legs underneath me.

. But that's another conversation.

I'm glad the stool trick worked. Keep it in mind when you go to dine out or at friends/relatives houses. I know a family who discovered that everyone in their family could have a wonderful time dining out when one member of the family had her feet supported.

I am only 5'2 and have a terrible time if my feet aren't touching the ground.  I end up crossing my legs underneath me. 

I do that, too! Or I find a rung on the chair and prop my feet there.

As for the school stuff, it's frustrating on the other side of the desk as well.  All most of us want to do is teach.

I understand - my sister is an elementary school teacher, and we've talked about how difficult it is for her to deal with parents and the school system. Actually, the problems haven't come from teachers (he's not in Kindergarten yet), but from the district officials who dictate what services he does and doesn't get. Nothing but the utmost respect for teachers, especially those dealing with children with any kind of special needs. It's a hard job, and one that doesn't engender the kind of respect that it should.

Ryan is now telling me that he always wants to eat with a stool under his feet. It certainly helped him concentrate!

Kathy

One tip for eating out (restaurants or other people's houses) is to get one or two of those plastic booster seats at garage sales and keep them in the car. They make wonderful footrests (turn upside down). We have four of them. One in my car. One in Paul's car. One at my folks' house. One at the cabin. Total cost was about $2.00.

For help with the schools, contact Pacer. Although they are in MN, they have the contacts and resourses to help anywhere. Fortunately, we are in a great state and have just moved from one fab school district to another even better school district.