• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Invite to Moshulu May 10 2004 (Not DDC)

Hey everybody,

There was some confusion on my part about the difference between the Dangerous Dining Club and egulleters (or is it egulleteers?).

Anyway, Monday May 10th at 7:30, I"m inviting up to 25 people to come down to the ship and sit on the deck and enjoy a multi course tasting menu. I said 40 before but it seemed that it started to mean we needed to attract a different level of service. I think this is best done as a fun, spontaneous get together, not a formal, professional menu de gustation. I just did a Far Niente wine dinner tonite, (May 3rd) for 80 at $175 a person, with a set menu and wine pairings and I don't think there were many egullet posters there.

So, if you want to read more about what I had been thinking, refer to the Dangerous Dining Club - a dare topic. Basically, it is an offering of a many small bites, amuse, a scallop, a composed salad, a handmade pasta, intermezzo of granita or sorbet and then fish course and meat course. Some will be very over the top and some will be very simple.

What I want to do is showcase what is truly fresh that day. Whenever you see pictures of Daniel Boulud at a fish market, it was because he drove down there with a photographer. I don't mean any disrespect to Chef Boulud but it's not something many of us are able to do. We have to write menus that run for weeks, train waiters on the specifics of each dish, cost them out, train the cooks, etc. I thought it would be fun to have some foodies on board and feed them with products that truly were spectacular that day. I would tell you now if I'd be serving striped bass but my fish guy said they weren't running right now. I want to call and find out what is going to be the best that day and then figure out how to serve it.

The party will be sat on the deck of the Moshulu under the main canopy and if the weather is poor, in a private dining room inside.

If this all sounds good to you, please call (215)923-2500 (wait till after so I can make the arrangements tomorrow 2pm tuesday the 4th) and ask the hostess to reserve you a table for the egullet party on the deck or mention Chef Tim's Monday party.

The cost will be $35 with tax and coffee/soft drinks included but gratuity and wine extra.

Wines by the glass will be offered and recommended for different courses but there won't be a true wine pairing per se.

If you are told it's booked already and we've talked about it on the other thread then please PM me and I'll work it in.

Thanks for everybody's interest in this and sorry if there was any confusion about the event.

I look forward to seeing everybody there!

Edited by tim olivett (log)

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

I just called for mine, Holly's, Cloe's, and D'Jango's-that's SIX. This should be totally cool, we are all going not to care, just feed us.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

I'm in for 3-- and bringing a chef from El Vez. (Tim, no one answered, I left a msg). See y'all then!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I'm back in town, anxious to eat something other than institutional food. Just called to be added to the list.

Looking forward to seeing see some old food buddies and meeting some new ones.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Got my reservations (Paul and I) yesterday... can't wait! After the brunch I had during the book and the cook, I have high expectations (no pressure!)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Glad to see all of you signing up. We just got in some beautiful fresh porcini and chanterelles. Tomorrow, Mother's day we have over 1100 reservations (seriously) all day so it will be a welcome respite to just cook for an appreciative crowd (of less than a 1000, I might add).

Like I said before, if you have any problems with the reservation (just ask for 7:30pm on Monday, " Chef Tim's Party" @ (215)923-2500. If there's any confusion just pm me before Monday morning or you can show up as we're about 2 dozen right now which is fine, I just thought twice that would mean that it became more of a actual banquet compared to dinner party (dinner parties are more fun!).

Some good stuff has been coming in, I've been looking for local fish, but some wild salmon is showing it's brief appearance, but my fish guy has (quite nicely) promised to bring in the fish himself on Monday after picking what he thinks is the best he has on hand. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings in. I can't wait for the day I have my own little place so I can call in an order by saying "what's the best thing you have today". Jaspar White tells a great story about his old restaurant, Jasper's, where a customer came in for his spring lamb and was disappointed when it wasn't available, "But sir, it is December" his Maitre' D had to tell the man.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Hey--Anyone going to this dinner who is driving from West Philly and want to give me a ride?? Thanks!!

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

We will be there (Tom and Anna) as well. We called in our reservations on Tuesday. Look forward to see everyone.

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "

Thanks to Chef Tim for letting us sample his culinary creativity last night! What a spectacular evening! :biggrin: Pictures will surely follow since Lisa made sure to capture each of the dishes before they were devoured.

The space, the food and the company were all first rate, and the four and a half hours it took the meal to progress from the delicious scallop through to the fried rice pudding wonton seemed to fly by.

There were about two dozen of us altogether, and we were seated in the private room at the stern of the ship, which was a truly elegant space. We walked in to find a properly set table with the white linen tablecloth and array of beautiful flatware and glasses set out before us. The waiters poured a glass of lovely bubbly (Marquis de la Tour Blanc de Blanc) for each of us, and the friendly chatter began.

I'll leave the details of the seven courses to our fine photographer to flesh out, but I'll say that everything showed that real thought and hard work went into it. Just wait until you see the pictures of the scallop and the gnochetti with chanterelles and parsley puree... my two favorite courses.

After the meal ended, our gracious host Chef Tim gave us a tour of the kitchen, which was quite a space to find aboard a ship. Yet another wow moment.

So once again, I must say a hearty thanks to the beneficent Chef Tim, and exhort anybody who didn't get to the Moshulu for this extravaganza to go and check it out.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I just woke up...AH, fabulous time!! Can't wait to see the piks--people, get thyselves to Moshulu!

-- William Grimes

Hi--

Ok, let's start by getting Tim's much-slaved-over menu up here:

Egullet Tasting

Monday May 10, 2004

Moshulu

Amuse Bouche:

Crispy Diver Scallop, ginger braised celery, vanilla lobster butter

Salad:

Mache, Red Cabbage, and Crispy Leeks, Honey Sherry Vinaigrette

Pasta:

Potato Gnocchettti, chanterelles, truffled parsley puree

Intermezzo:

Apricot Sorbet, kumquat chutney

Fish:

Gently Cooked White Salmon, apple-rosemary puree, zucchini, almonds and sultana raisins

Meat:

Coffee and Star Anise Roasted L.I. Duck Breast, apple barley, vinegar poached pear, dried cranberries

Dessert:

Fried Rice Pudding Wonton, tropical fruit chutney

Wines were available by the glass. We started with a glass of champagne. I then had glasses of pinot gris (name escapes me), 2001 Echelon Syrah Clarksburg, and Steele Zinfandel. The syrah was especially superb, and the zin was a very good match for the duck.

IMO, the outstanding courses were the start and finish-- the scallop was perfectly crisp and sweet, and that wonton was exactly what Tim said it would be--an incredible pudding in a crisped wonton with a sweet and savory chutney on the side that included a little red onion. Inspired. Another favorite was the lovely duck breast. Tim rolled the gnocchetti as we enjoyed our champagne, those were especially fresh. All was very enjoyable, and ok, now I am STARVING again and going to eat some leftover vindaloo from Indique. Other comments?? Pictures?

-- William Grimes

The space, the food and the company were all first rate, and the four and a half hours it took the meal to progress from the delicious scallop through to the fried rice pudding wonton seemed to fly by. 

Word. A wonderful evening; each course was just enough to experience the different flavors, without being overwhelming. I finished each course wanting more.

I'm with Sara; the beginning and the ending were the high points, bracketing the meal. I was blown away by the diver scallop: huge! like one of those giant clams that trap a diver's leg. Definitely the biggest scallop I've seen, and also the best: juicy with a nice crust. Vanilla lobster butter; a revelation.

Ah, the fried rice pudding wonton. You know, you can put any two parts of that together and it'll sound good. Fried rice, of course; pudding wonton; rice wonton; fried pudding. All four together? Marvelous. And I'm going to put cilantro and onion in all my desserts from now on.

Okey dokey - my first ever image posting to eGullet!

i6733.jpg

Crispy Diver Scallop, ginger braised celery, vanilla lobster butter

i6734.jpg

Mache, Red Cabbage, and Crispy Leeks, Honey Sherry Vinaigrette

i6735.jpg

Potato Gnocchettti, chanterelles, truffled parsley puree

I pondered mutiny at sea to devour the entire table's serving! Tim - put this on the menu immediately!

i6736.jpg

Apricot Sorbet, kumquat chutney

i6737.jpg

Gently Cooked White Salmon, apple-rosemary puree, zucchini, almonds and sultana raisins

i6738.jpg

Coffee and Star Anise Roasted L.I. Duck Breast, apple barley, vinegar poached pear, dried cranberries

i6739.jpg

Fried Rice Pudding Wonton, tropical fruit chutney

Not your daddy's fried wonton!

i6740.jpg

The gang (speak up and state your location - this was taken after grey goose, glenmorangie, chanpagne, lots of wine)

i6741.jpg

The late arriving diners who ended up with the deck to themselves!

i6742.jpg

Serious eating for a seriously spectacular evening

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Sorry the scallop is blurry, I'm new to the food photography - Holly took the night off from pictures, after all he is the Food Foto Fugitive.

I propose a service nightmare, next time switching seats between courses so I get to speak to everyone. We sure did have a fine food group assembled including restaurant owners, operators, wholesalers, retailers, writers, and simply happy consumers.

The pic of the gnochetti is misleading by featuring digital zoom. Each individual dumpling was the size of a pinky nail. Spectacular.

Tim, could you elaborate on the occurence of white salmon? If I am correct, it's totally random, no one knowing if the flesh is white until it is cleaned? And, are sultana raisins a varietal? Edit: What kind of vinegar were the pears poached in?

After the kitchen tour was over at 12:30am, Tim still had work to do. He just doesn't stop. Thank you for your hard work, organizing this gathering, and offering a fabulous deal to boot.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

Great night out, my favourites for the nite were the gnochetti, sorbet and the duck.

And thanks vigna for the Euro tips.

Darn, wish I had time to stick around for the kitchen tour.