• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hidden jewels in LA dining

LATripping

I am flying my boyfriend to LA on a surprise trip for his 50th birthday. We are both lovers of fine food and I want this to be a special meal to celebrate the big 5-0. The food should be the focus and the atmosphere should be comfortable without being overly formal or stuffy. As long as the food is worth it, I don't mind paying the price. We are staying in the Beverly Hills/ West Hollywood area, but I'm willing to endure the freeway traffic for the right place.

Some of the reviews I've read that appeal to me: Bastide, The Bel Air Hotel, Campanille, Patina, or The Saddle Park Lodge. Am I on track or do you have a hidden jewel to recommend?

I cant really help you on the fancy food front...But if you like trying smaller hidden treasures I can help you!..I do know some pretty nice places like the Ports o Call down at the San Pedro harbor....great views, you can watch the cruise ships sail away from your table...but I dont know if its fancy enough for what you want....Its around 25 per person, nice but not too nice if you know what I mean...We love it, but I am a pretty "average" guy...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. It sounds like a perfect addition to our trip. We will be in town for a week and good food at resonable prices combined with an ocean view sounds perfect. That's exactly why I posted here in the first place- the top rated restaurants often fail to live up to the hype.

Chris - thanks for the info. My husband and I are going to have a little R&R in LA (Santa Monica area) and would love the kind of good food, reasonable priced spots that you could suggest. What about ethnic spots?

the best chinese food in the world--outside of china and hong kong--is in the san gabriel valley just outside l.a. the best korean food outside korea is in koreatown near downtown l.a. there's also great salvadorean food, great mexican food, pretty good thai food. not a lot of this stuff is in santa monica though. (though i would recommend la cabana on the border of venice for mexican.) do you have a particular cuisine in mind?

for very good, relatively unpretentious "fine-dining" try joe's in venice or michael's in santa monica. their menus should be available online.

Chris - thanks for the info. My husband and I are going to have a little R&R in LA (Santa Monica area) and would love the kind of good food, reasonable priced spots that you could suggest. What about ethnic spots?

If you want some great authentic Japanese, go no farther than Gardena...just cruise along Western Ave and there are a million places that cater to the Honda and Toyota execs...might as well be in Tokyo!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Some of the reviews I've read that appeal to me:  Bastide, The Bel Air Hotel, Campanille, Patina,  or The Saddle Park Lodge.  Am I on track or do you have a hidden jewel to recommend?

I can't speak to Bastide, Saddle Peak Lodge, or Patina as I've not been.

Bel Air Hotel is a lovely spot--very romantic outdoor dining room. Beautiful setting. The food is very, very good, but nothing unusual or mind-blowing.

Campanile is wonderful with very good food-- seasonal american stuff that is some of the best, most consistent in LA. However, it is not much of a hidden jewel. It's a large well known place, not super-romantic.

I've heard great things about the downtown Patina. That and Bastide are at the top of my wish list.

Spago is also still very good, and close, though again not an unknown place.

Mori Sushi is an absolute find; my favorite meal in LA is omakase at the sushi bar. IMO it is a hidden jewel but the ambiance, while pleasant, is not super special/romantic.

AOC is great, too. Emphasis on wines by the glass, cheeses, and small plates. Romantic in a casual-LA-happening kind of way. Yummy food.

Sona is a good option, with total attention on the food. However, it can be inconsistant, and is a place to go only of you are the type of foodie that loves carefuly plated, tiny tasting menus. I happen to love it.

Maple Drive has a new chef who is getting some rave reviews.

Some other good spots in the BH/WeHo area for everyday:

Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast/brunch/lunch.

Mulberry Pizza for a slice.

Enoteca Drago for a glass of wine at the bar and a nice afternoon snack.

The tiny bar in Maison 140 is great for an early evening drink.

Il Pastaio for excellent pasta dinners--the Beverly Hills version of family dining.

Peet's Coffee for really good, strong brew.

Let me know if you need any addresses--and have a great time.

I do not recommend Mori Sushi as I find the food to be far over rated. Service is poor and they are quite stingy with the fish.

Few places I recommend:

Peninsula Hotel Belvedere Restaurant is one of the highest rated hotel restaurants in the country and it is awesome. I go there once a month for brunch. They have the best mac n' cheese with truffles.

Maison Akira in Pasadena has not received enough praise. I find myself keep coming back to this small French Japanese restaurant. This place is very unpretentious with excellent food.

R23, one of my favorite Japanese restaurants because of the environment. Its great to have a few people at this art gallery/Japanese restaurant. Their seafood boulabaisse is amazing.

I will be trying Bastide on Saturday if you still need a recommendation on that I will surely give you my feedback.

I do not recommend Mori Sushi as I find the food to be far over rated. Service is poor and they are quite stingy with the fish.

Few places I recommend:

Peninsula Hotel Belvedere Restaurant is one of the highest rated hotel restaurants in the country and it is awesome. I go there once a month for brunch. They have the best mac n' cheese with truffles.

Maison Akira in Pasadena has not received enough praise. I find myself keep coming back to this small French Japanese restaurant. This place is very unpretentious with excellent food.

R23, one of my favorite Japanese restaurants because of the environment. Its great to have a few people at this art gallery/Japanese restaurant. Their seafood boulabaisse is amazing.

I will be trying Bastide on Saturday if you still need a recommendation on that I will surely give you my feedback.

Welcome, laubowski!

I can't let your critical views on Mori go unanswered! I guess it's a love it or hate it type of place, but I find the smaller portions on the fish to be really perfect, refined, and just what I want to eat. I do think the experience of the omakase vs ordering by the piece is better there.

Have you been to Big Fish on Robertson? That place gives huge portions and the food is good. I guess it is a different approach.

PLEASE let us know about Bastide--I've been dying to go.

Romantic ,Excellent food, Hidden Jewel. Bingo on all three. Bistro 21 on La Cienaga. Seats about 25 or so beautiful understated art, decor. Food is A+. We just had our wedding aniv dinner there. Amuse of house cured mackeral ( sweet, smokey dense &moist) Fois always done well, Scallops, Japanese Black Cod, Pork two ways ( some special pork dont remeber name) asssorted sorbet pallate cleansers. dessert . Under $150 for 2. Chef Ko is really on top of the kitchen and his wife is in front of house.

D

How could anyone not love Mori ?? Except for the price. Mori is all about subtlties. It is more like a fine ballet that a symphony. IMHO

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/