• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rockefeller Center Recommendations

RockADS21

In my experience that immediate area around Rockefeller Center is tough for the informal mid-range non-chain type of meal that you are asking about.

If you can get WAY over to 9th Avenue in the low 50's there are litterally TONS of restaurants of the type you are looking for... but if you are constrained to walking from Rockefeller Center, going in the direction of Times Square might be your best bet.

What type of cuisine do you like... that might help...

(Edited by jhlurie at 1:18 pm on Dec. 17, 2001)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Maybe... John's Pizzerria in Times Square?   Carmine's was decent at one point years ago, but I've heard so many people criticize it recently that it's probably not worth it.

Geez.  Affordable but good Italian is as scarce in that part of town as anything as far as I know...

Stuck in my wallet for quite a while is a card from a place called "Gino"(780 Lexington Avenue)--which is the complete opposite direction from the other places in Times Square.  Supposedly Frank Sinatra used to eat there all of the time--which I suppose means very little a decade or two later.

We've got to get Steven Shaw in here.  Good affordable informal Italian within 10 minutes of Rockefeller Center.  Eek.  I'll bet he knows a place or two, but my ignorance shines...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

NO NO NO. A thousand times NO!

Gino Italian Cuisine has gone WAAAAAY downhill the last time we ate there.... it was a huge disappointment.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

JUdson is a great place, fantastic wine list too.  Yes, I think thats youre best bet.

Ruby Foo's is a fun place to hang out for drinks and get a few appetizers but the main dishes there pretty much suck.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Its been about a year or so since I last went, but La Bonne Soupe was good for low-end French bistro fare.

http://www.labonnesoupe.com/

48 W 55th St

New York, NY 10019

(212) 586-7650

If I remember correctly they had a price fixe for around 20 bucks or so that included one of their soups plus entree.

Wu Liang Ye, 36 West 48th Street has some excellent Chinese (Szechuan?) food. It's upscale in terms of decor, service and price from Chinatown, but it's still moderate in terms of midtown. It's not Italian/American.

There are some Brazilian places on 49th Street, but I really don't know their prices or which ones might be good. You should be able to walk from the tree to Ninth Avenue in ten minutes, or so I would think. That would increase your choices.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

And lest we forget, Grand Sichuan International Midtown, Fat Guy's favorite Chinese restaurant, on 49 and 9th.

For Italian and reasonably priced,you might  consider Federico's on 50th, just shy of 8th ave. Opposite Palm and Thalia.

Woodburning fpl, good pizza, comfortable place, not pretentious. Figure ฤ each.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

cite can be pricey.  it's fun though, especially the "wine dinner", which is about 65 bucks, and includes an entree, and app, dessert, and unlimited wine from a selection of 4.  a very good deal.

puttanesca on 9th and 56th is pretty good italian with homemade patas.  i haven't been there since they expanded, but i'd imagine they haven't gone downhill.

Quote: from Bux on 5:40 pm on Dec. 17, 2001

There are some Brazilian places on 49th Street, but I really don't know their prices or which ones might be good.

Yes, not only are they cheap, but at this time of year several of them should be serving feijoada, the wonderful, rib-sticking stew of pork, sausage, other pig-parts, beans and so on.  I don't have any particular restuarant in mind, but you could stroll along the block and check out the menus.

In fact, the string of Brazilian restauarnts known as Little Brazil is on 46th, between 5th and 6th avenues.  About fouur and a half minutes walk from the tree if the street was empty (!).  Checked it out, as I have given myself an appetite for Feijoada.  The Ipanema, on the north side of the street, is where I've eaten it before.  ภ.95, and you won't need to eat a whole lot else.

I second Tommy's recommendation of Puttanesca. I even recall seeing a 10 or 15% off coupon in one of those "Where" magazines available at large hotels.

Also near Rockefeller Center is Louis (formerly Chez Louis) right on 50th & Sixth Avenue across from Radio City Music Hall. They've got very good chicken and ribs with daily lunch specials. This is owned by David Liederman who makes those delicious David's Cookies.

Also near Rockefeller Center is Louis (formerly Chez Louis) right on 50th & Sixth Avenue across from Radio City Music Hall. They've got very good chicken and ribs with daily lunch specials. This is owned by David Liederman who makes those delicious David's Cookies.

I've been to Chez Louis.  It's actually reasonably good.  Not excellent, but good...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Since you mentioned Italian as a possible first choice, I suggest Vago which is on West 56th between 5th and 6th.  They are not cheap, but not outrageous.  I think the prices run from hi teens into the 30s.  It is nice and in an upscale area, but you can still go in casually dressed.  The kitchen closes at 10 or 11, I guess depending on the night.

• 6 months later...
Although not Italian, I've heard good things about Morrell Wine Bar.  I haven't eaten there but I duck in while my wife watches figure skaters.

Any comments on the food?

I had a very light lunch at Morrell Wine Bar recently. Due to my having only taken in one dish (an appetizer at that) and having ordered a tartare item, it would not be fair to evaluate the quality of the food at the facility. Note the Muscovy Duck & Porcini Mushroom Hash and Poached Quail Egg entree appeared worthy of investigation. However, I hope to eat more lightly for a week or two. (That also explains my increased visits to Japanese restaurants, given that sashimi is not necessarily among my favorite foods.)

Tartar Times Three -- Yellowfin tuna, Diver Scallops, Atlantic Salmon ($16)

Glass of Blanc de Lynch Bages 2000 ($12; the wine list described 1999)

Three small heaps of tartar encircled a larger mound of julienne of raw radish. Shredded shiso leaves were on top of the radish, and were a bit too aromatic for the dish. However, the dish overall was appropriate (for a tartar). The diced scallops were the best part of the dish -- they had a sort of glaze on them, and were accompanied by a jus consisting of a little bit of white truffle oil and rice wine vinegar. A sprinkle of small black sesame grains provided visual contrast to the white coloration of the diced scallops. The salmon was fatty, and nicely left alone with just olive oil elements. The confit or pickled diced cantelope melon (somewhat spicy) incuded on the plate was fine with the salmon. The tuna was so-so; it tasted relatively bland initially, but there was a chilli-type aftertaste discernible.

Surprisingly, the wine list by the glass was disappointing with respect to French whites and French reds. The American offerings appeared to have been better represented. Note the executive chef at the Morrell Wine Bar is Michael Haimowitz.

Dessert wines offered by the glass (not taken) included (1) Vidal 1998, Inniskillin (Canadian ice wine), which was significantly overpriced at $25/glass (for that price, one can purchase a 2000 bottle in Canada), and (2) Banyuls, Vieilles Vignes, Domaine du Mas Blanc, Parce 1985 at $20/glass (with a non-Vieilles Vignes version of the 1991 at $12).

Cabrales--might the icewine have been the Gold label oak-aged Vidal? That's priced higher than their regular Vidal icewine. It's been awhile, but I think I've seen the half-bottle 1998 Gold going for $80 in some stores up there.

There's no doubt buying directly from the winery--which has a nice library and tasting room--is better and cheaper.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com