• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dangerous Dining Club - A Dare

tim olivett

See, I come back to eG, and this is what awaits me.

I can see it now: the DDC boat... soon will be making anoooother run!

With...

Tim, your Chef!

Katie, your Booze Director!

Rich, your Activities Director!

et cetera...

Bring on those magically thymulicious sweetbreads, and let the DDC Adventure Cruise 2004 begin! This'll be awesome...

I'm really looking forward to this, and hope to bring a few DC gulleteers along with me!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Crap, I'm out if it's 7pm.  :sad:

Too early or too late?

8:30 is probably the best I can be there

Sorry SG - that's just too late to start a multi course meal on a "schoolnight", so to speak.

You could always stop by for a cocktail and a howdy though. I'm certain that could be arranged.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm really looking forward to this, and hope to bring a few DC gulleteers along with me!

Excellent Sara! Bring as many DC Gulleteers as you can!

Can Heather come??? (Heather, are you listening? This could be as much fun and certainly more upscale than Pizza Club!)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So, do we know how to make reservations? Do we call the restaurant or email someone in particular?

Lisa, as always with the DDC, you will get an e-mail invite with details, prices and whom to RSVP to, in a few days. So check your e-mail everybody, and don't panic!

BTW, lots of pics of you at the SCANtastic event on Ch. 6 Friday night! Dishing up that cheese!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

BTW, lots of pics of you at the SCANtastic event on Ch. 6 Friday night! Dishing up that cheese!

I'm sure I was dashing given the humidity under the tent while it poured rain. I had a lot of fun even though many restaurants either didn't show, or bailed early. DiBruno's, as a sponsor, had a huge presence. 10 tables in a big ring o' cheese and all things tasty. I was so busy preparing for the event I didn't get a chance to post a notice about it here, but next year, everybody better be there! It's a great cause and a fun, tasty night. Feast Your Eyes catering bought their chocolate fondue fountain. With a whole setup of marshmallows, fruit, pretzels and graham, you run your treat under the chocolate streams (a Wonka river) and wait for it to harden (so hard to wait that long!) Gourmet magic-shell, I was googly over it.

Afterwards, the DiBruno's entourage went to Geno's for steaks wit whiz and birch beer. My Beau (Paul) fancies Jim's on South Street, so I was thrilled to take part in THE South Philly experience.

Back on topic, I very much look forward to May 10th, the upper crust of the food world on the upper deck of the Moshulu.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

BTW, lots of pics of you at the SCANtastic event on Ch. 6 Friday night!  Dishing up that cheese!

I'm sure I was dashing given the humidity under the tent while it poured rain. I had a lot of fun even though many restaurants either didn't show, or bailed early. DiBruno's, as a sponsor, had a huge presence. 10 tables in a big ring o' cheese and all things tasty. I was so busy preparing for the event I didn't get a chance to post a notice about it here, but next year, everybody better be there! It's a great cause and a fun, tasty night. Feast Your Eyes catering bought their chocolate fondue fountain. With a whole setup of marshmallows, fruit, pretzels and graham, you run your treat under the chocolate streams (a Wonka river) and wait for it to harden (so hard to wait that long!) Gourmet magic-shell, I was googly over it.

Afterwards, the DiBruno's entourage went to Geno's for steaks wit whiz and birch beer. My Beau (Paul) fancies Jim's on South Street, so I was thrilled to take part in THE South Philly experience.

Back on topic, I very much look forward to May 10th, the upper crust of the food world on the upper deck of the Moshulu.

Lisa:

This is one of the first few years I haven't participated in this event. Definitely one of the highlights of the food calendar in Philly, I think. Most of the very best restaurants show up and show off their very best stuff. In fact, if I'd been more on top of things I might have been able to weasel myself an invite, but it just slipped my mind.

Glad you had fun. And the Feast Your Eyes folks are really nice. I didn't know they'd gotten a chocolate fondue fountain! YUMMM!! That sounds incredibly hard to resist. I'm sure it's a big hit with the wedding and Bar/Bat Mitzvah crowd too. Who wouldn't want to have that at their party??

See you on the 10th!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Excellent Sara! Bring as many DC Gulleteers as you can!

Yes, I agree.

Bring as many DC egulleeteers as you can safely knock over the head and drag to the car.

Also, you're responsible for successfully recruiting an acceptable PA replacement for yourself here and bringing him/her/it to the dinner for approval.

A blond female, blue eyes, 5'3, 110 lbs will be looked kindly upon.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Will attempt. But I know of no women of said characteristics who actually like to eat! :blink:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

And Herb, would you take this said blonde beauty with you on your next NYC entrails adventure? I'm SURE she would just love that! Damn, Pawlak wasn't kidding when he said you would eat anything! That was quite a post on the NY board, with gross pictures and everything. Did you at least chase those dishes down with some good Scotch? That at least would have helped deaden the taste buds. And you want to come aboard the Moshulu after that? Wouldn't be surprised if the chef wouldn't let you aboard. I'd love to hear all about it when I see you! :wacko:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

And Herb, would you take this said blonde beauty with you on your next NYC entrails adventure? I'm SURE she would just love that! Damn, Pawlak wasn't kidding when he said you would eat anything! That was quite a post on the NY board, with gross pictures and everything. Did you at least chase those dishes down with some good Scotch? That at least would have helped deaden the taste buds. And you want to come aboard the Moshulu after that? Wouldn't be surprised if the chef wouldn't let you aboard. I'd love to hear all about it when I see you!  :wacko:

Actually, I don't know that I'd want said blond beauty slowing me down.

Probably better to just meet her for drinks and such after all is done.

I don't believe we had any liquor along the way.

I had a beer at Blue Ribbon, we shared a $9 half bottle at Landmarc

(go the next time you go to NYC, great place, awesome inexpensive wine list, cool chef and staff), and we shared another bottle of Gascon Malbec at Pampa.

Other than a blood orange San Pellegrino at Chelsea Market, the only other think we drank was water.

Yea, I gotta bug Tim to throw sweetbreads or something into a dish.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yeah, but oh what a 10 or 12 bites. Actually it will work out to a dollar a bite. Seriously though, I always loved the idea of tastings since I tend to get bored with big portions, aromas and flavors develop a tolerance in your olfactory senses and become dulled. Noone will leave hungry and underwhelmed, but conversely you shouldn't be stuffed and confused by a mish mash of flavors. I find that if a dish is just the right size, it should leave you craving one more bite, then when you think back to your meal, you think Oh, I'd love one more taste of that. In this country we tend to stuff ourselves and when you think back on that,, it's like god I wouldn't want another bite.

Tim,

Sweetbreads will be included, right?

If not, fermented fish kidneys would be an acceptable substitute.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yeah, but oh what a 10 or 12 bites.  Actually it will work out to a dollar a bite.  Seriously though, I always loved the idea of tastings since I tend to get bored with big portions, aromas and flavors develop a tolerance in your olfactory senses and become dulled.  Noone will leave hungry and underwhelmed, but conversely you shouldn't be stuffed and confused by a mish mash of flavors.  I find that  if a dish is just the right size, it should leave you craving one more bite, then when you think back to your meal, you think Oh, I'd love one more taste of that.  In this country we tend to stuff ourselves and when you think back on that,, it's like god I wouldn't want another bite.

Tim,

Oh sweet mother of God, this is taking a wrong turn.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

This sounds like a wonderful event, but unfortunately I'm headed into Philly on Sunday ( Moshulu, inspired by this thread!) and again for the wine tasting on Tuesday...then again on Saturday to pack up my kid at Temple...so I'll have to pass this time..I hope everyone has a wonderful time...sounds great!

Yeah, but oh what a 10 or 12 bites.  Actually it will work out to a dollar a bite.  Seriously though, I always loved the idea of tastings since I tend to get bored with big portions, aromas and flavors develop a tolerance in your olfactory senses and become dulled.  Noone will leave hungry and underwhelmed, but conversely you shouldn't be stuffed and confused by a mish mash of flavors.  I find that  if a dish is just the right size, it should leave you craving one more bite, then when you think back to your meal, you think Oh, I'd love one more taste of that.  In this country we tend to stuff ourselves and when you think back on that,, it's like god I wouldn't want another bite.

Tim,

Oh sweet mother of God, this is taking a wrong turn.

I'm sure for the unadventurous and timid wimps like Rich it can be included as a limited portion option, much like the vegetarian entree choice.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The real point of all this is to do what most chefs say they do but rarely get a chance to and that is to know exactly how many people they are serving, at what time and be able to serve what is best or available at that time.

That being said, here is general outline

First

Amuse Bouche

Second

Probably a true diver scallop, not the diver scallops everybody says they have on the menu but the only ones really available on the east coast from Browne Trading Co (unless anybody out there is scuba certified and can get several dozen for me Monday morning). This will probably be citrus with vanilla or ginger or maybe carrot emulsion and braised soft lettuce we'll have to see but yeah a scallop.

Third

A composed salad, this could be sweet breads wrapped in pancetta or a vegetable terrine or neither. I've been playing with a beet gelee layer with goat cheese parfait. But then again maybe wheatberries and dried fruits with ramps in a cherry consomme or morels and white asparagus with olive oil poached grape tomatoes. Or ... you get the point.

Fourth

Some type of handmade pasta, something ultimately fresh, finished minutes before serving.

I may wind up combing the 3rd and 4th course.

Fifth

Intermezzo

Some sort of gelee or granita to clear the palatte for...

Sixth

Fish course

Can't even begin to guess the fish, lets just see what's pristine and beautiful and perfect that day, I wish I knew.

Seventh

Meat Course

Maybe a galette or crepinette of short rib, foie gras and sweet breads. Or lamb spiced with cardamom and cloves, shredded and shaped topped with slices of potato and wrapped in caul fat and pan seared until crisp served over a smoked tomato and onion sofrito with grilled baby red romaine and ricotta salata. Or a whole rack of pork brined in bourbon and molasses and slow roasted and carved or duck roasted with star anise and coffee beans, squab layered into a napolean of foie gras, squab breast and madeira jelly. Or maybe not.

And finally a light dessert.

All courses will be just a few forkfuls, enough to be memorable but not to overwhelm.

The whole point of these courses will be to serve some items I can't normally serve to our clientele as they may be too esoteric or too rustic or too simple or too dependent on timing. For instance I have a great brownsugar cure for tuna that you can only use it after 30 minutes, there's no way to time that for 300 meals. Or a whole striped bass wrapped in proscuitto that will serve 8 at a time. Or better yet an entire lobe of foie gras, roasted and sliced at the table and placed upon your meat course. Fun for me and fun for you. The kind of cooking that I can't normally do given the constraints of timing, consistency and so forth that make running a restaurant the reason why we get paid to do something we love to do.

Definitely, there will be ramps, artichokes, morels, fava beans, potatoes, sweet breads, probably short ribs. No sardines with heads or smelts or sand dabs. Nothing that will make you think you need an acquired palatte to appreciate it, no monkfish liver or uni. I love all those things but will make sure that this will be good old fashioned cooking that anyone can appreciate. And not every course will wow you, I've tried to do that before and found it to be self defeating. A great tasting menu is all about tempo, variety, strong/clear flavors, atmosphere, conviviality and a certain savoir faire.

Basically, it will be worth the $40 with tax and tip. I know Katie and I are going to work on an option to pair wines with the courses also but you will have the option to order on your own. I could talk to management about a corking fee but for now that's up in the air, I'm not an owner and they're being very gracious about my intentions for this get together.

I do think we need to cap the amount of reservations we can take for this so please don't rsvp unless you plan to show up! Some courses will be high falutin culinary cutting edge and others will simply be a few great ingredients speaking for themselves. Spring is here and let's all sit under the moonlight on the river and think about shaking off the winter, the bounty of spring, the gifts of food, spices, wine and friendship. Like Brillat Savarin once said, Food is the most benevolent of professions, as it seeks simply to provide good cheer and sustenance. And nowadays it's also a fight against corporate agriculture and landrape, the lack of choice and individuality given to us in our clothes, entertainment, consumer goods, the absence of day to day creativity in our personal and professional lives and most of all, our ability to get together with a group of likeminded individuals and share something in common.

And most important of all, have a good time doing it!

If we do cap off the reservations and you really, really want to go, pm me with your pleas, promises of investment capital, fine vintages and other psychoactive substances and I'll see what I can do.

I'm looking forward to this and Katie will be structuring the whole deal as far as invites, reservations, rsvp's etc. Since she is the pro, I'm just a cook, after all, my forte is with artichokes and carrots not with all the guest services stuff.

Edited by tim olivett (log)

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Hi Tim,

That post just made me want to go even MORE as if that was possible. I might have to tell my staff attendance is mandatory. :biggrin:

Katie: remember the talk of red clogs of yesteryear? Those were cordovan, I am now sporting the rose tiger clogs. Can't wait to make a splash!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

No sardines with heads or smelts or sand dabs.  Nothing that will make you think you need an acquired palatte to appreciate it, no monkfish liver or uni.

If none of the above, where is the Danger in Dangerous Dining Club?

All kidding aside Tim, looks like a great range of choices you're considering. My only regret is that I won't be able to make it.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Everybody, please refer to the new topic posted about the event at the Moshulu on Monday May 10th. Not much has changed except that it will be less money and more fun.

It's not the dangerous dining club, it's the fun, let's get together under the stars for great food club.

Please call (215)923-2500 for reservations starting Tuesday May 4th after 2pm. If it's booked up PM me and I'll work it out.

I look forward to seeing alot of you there.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.