• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Shell Crabs

markk

Does anybody know if fresh soft shell crabs are available yet in the NYC area? I was in a restaurant today claiming that they were now available fresh - and I thought that we had a while to go yet. There are certainly restaurants selling them now, and when I ask if they're fresh or frozen, I'm always told "frozen". This place assured me they are fresh, available in the markets in New York City this week. Can anybody confirm whether this is true and if not, when the first soft shell crabs should become available in this area?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

To broaden the question, does anyone know any good internet sources for fresh softshell crabs?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

No soft shell crabs yet on my fish lists. Normally I get a 2 week period in late April when they come up and then quiet for 3 weeks untill the latter part of May. Those 2 weeks in April are probably the best ones I get through the year except mid-summer. When they're out ,you'll know, they'll be on everybody's specials.

Fresh, high quality soft shells come in season at the end of April in the Carolinas, and harvest gradually head north towards the Chesapeake Bay.

Crabs slough shells by the lunar cycle, so harvests are most plentiful after a full moon.

Soft shells are available frozen, year round, but the quality is usually atrocious.

Does anybody know if fresh soft shell crabs are available yet in the NYC area?  I was in a restaurant today claiming that they were now available fresh - and I thought that we had a while to go yet.  There are certainly restaurants selling them now, and when I ask if they're fresh or frozen, I'm always told "frozen".  This place assured me they are fresh, available in the markets in New York City this week.  Can anybody confirm whether this is true and if not, when the first soft shell crabs should become available in this area?

FWIW, from what I can remember, Citarella is generally one of the first fishmongers to have them available to the general retail public..

EDIT:

just confirmed that they're fresh and in stock on the UWS store.. $5.99 each..

Edited by juuceman (log)

Fresh, high quality soft shells come in season at the end of April in the Carolinas, and harvest gradually head north towards the Chesapeake Bay

...and beyond. I don't know what the local commercial statistics say, but anecdotally at any rate the crabbing has been a good deal better, these past 2-3 years, in the Great South Bay than in the Chesapeake.

Soft shells are available frozen, year round, but the quality is usually atrocious.

As much as I love fresh softshells, I can't stand the frozen ones. They usually come out soggy and tasteless.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've been seeing soft shell crabs in Chinatown seafood markets. I saw then on Grand and Chrystie and I think it was late last week--southwest corner.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Since this is the restaurant forum, let me get things back on point. I had my first soft shells of the year yesterday at the Four Seasons. They were small, perfect in consistency and freshness and served in a tempura style accompanied by a simple salad of micro-greens. They were great, and are on the new Spring menu. Unfortunately, like everything there, they are wildly expensive.

Have they hit Noodletown yet? They're not the best I've ever had (that would be at Nobu) but they're consistently very good there and reasonably-priced.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I can confirm NY Noodletown has them and they are good. Tonight's specimens were the biggest I've had there and very tasty. I must say I always wish they'd serve them with lemon or lime wedges but that chili sauce is pretty good.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

mascarpone and I had some salt-baked softshells at New York Noodletown last night. They were good, like I expected from previous years.

Michael aka "Pan"

$54.00 a dozen on my list today. They come in tommorow, I might serve them at the Jersey egullet dinner if they're really good. Based on the past, they'll be small but tasty. Bad thing is when they're small, you can't saute them, they shrivel. Deep-frying doesn't shrink them as much. If they look too small you have to serve 3 and how much you are you going to charge in Jersey, $36....yeah right.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had two excellent soft shell crabs at Congee Village, located on the SE corner of Allen and Delancy, for $7.90 !!!! They were slightly smaller than New York Noodle Town and were clearly deep fried where at NY Noodletown they were salt baked. The CV crabs were served with a subtle red vinegar and ginger dipping sauce. I prefer the NY Noodle town crabs but you can't beat the price at Congee Village.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

You're not going to have room for dinner now. :laugh:

Sounds like a lot of fun, and it was smart to go to Congee Village for lunch on a weekend since, as you know, it's impossible to get in there for dinner on a weekend without reservations.

Michael aka "Pan"

Citarella is selling fairly large ones for $5.99 apiece. I bought a couple today. You have to check to make sure they are still alive.

Ruth Friedman