• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rainy day menus

Its been raining NON STOP for the past few days in DC and quite frankly I had had enough this morning. SO I decided to spend some time in my favorite place.. my kitchen to cheer me up

Normally I would have prepared cardamom tea and some onion fritters.. today.. i felt like doing something different..

The tea was replaced with a saffron brew that my father taught me to prepare. It has no tea really (originally it was prepared with tea leaves, but I like mine without) - this is saffron, cardamom, and cinnamon brewed and then served over slivered almonds and with a touch of honey....

For the food part -- I debated and then prepared a crunchy deep fried okra.. thinly sliced okra (lengthwise), seasoned, deepfried and then served with a sprinkling of Chaat Masala..

Yes.. there is hope even in this damn rain

What do you cook to pull you out of a rainy day slump??

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica,

What a coincidence, I had the same hankering couple days before. There is definitely a connection between rainy season and a desire to eat fried and greasy.

So I went with trusted pakoras and masala chai.

I had to venture into a couple different grocery stores to gather the ingredients for pakoras but it was well worth it. We made the following pakoras:

- Gobhi (Caluiflower)

- Pyaaz (Red onions)

- Bhein (Lotus stem)

- Baingan (Thai egg plants)

- Asparagus (This was a first for us)

- Alu (Thinly sliced potatos)

Unfortunately, I could'nt take any pics. Realized while eating. Well, maybe next time. Asparagus pakoras turned out to be very good and delicious.

Served with Maggi's tomato chili sauce and hot tea.

In fact, I had some leftovers today for breakfast. Tasted even better.

Cheers,

i5001.jpg

We've been getting tons of really good okra in the Indian stores, and often make it in a recipe almost identical to Monica's.

Except, instead of deep-frying the slices, we season them with salt, turmeric and chili powder and then shallow fry with sliced onions for two/three minutes.

Then the okra and onions are laid out in a single layer on paper towels (to soak up the excess oil) and put into a 400 degree over for another fifteen minutes. This crisps them up the way the dish is supposed to be, but you don't have the deep-fried greasiness.

Sprinkle with chaat masala and mango powder.

i5166.jpg

One of my absolute favorite dishes, and I can relate to making it to cheer oneself up. It's comfort food in our house too.

Looks delicious.. this is what I made for lunch today too.. I will post a pic here soon.

The other dish is deepfried but really not greasy.. its thin strands of okra -- more like potato sticks. I use them to create a nest in which to serve (what else) more food!!!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

monica what seasoning do you use for your okra?

Garam masala, red chilies and dried mango powder.

hmm..i'll have to try that. i normally fry them like bhelpuri with turmeric chili and salt, no onions tho.

Monica--- On a rainy day Bengalis splurge on Khichdi and some sort of fried items.It could be deep fried hilsa or other fish or some vegetables.

Mostly potato/onion/brinjal is diced and mixed with besan and deeply fried.

Rainy day menu:

make a piping hot tomato rasam, and cocoon with a good book

or indian movie and spouse / SO! Turn off phones and send

kids away for a play date.

Easy shortcut Recipe:

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 cup water

1 tbsp tamarind paste

2 cloves garlic smashed

2-3 slices ginger grated / chopped fine

(simmer the above for ~ 15 - 20 minutes)

Add:

1 tbsp jeera

1 tsp black peppercorns,

toasted and coarsely ground together.

Salt to taste

Simmer for ~ 10 minutes

Heat oil, season with:

mustard seeds

hing

curry leaves

Garnish with:

chopped cilantro

Taste, and add more water or spices as needed.

Serve HOT.

Make in industrial quantities and store in the

fridge for ~ 1 week (max) or freeze for later use.

Milagai