• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus and cast iron frying pans

frogprincess

i usually grill asparagus outside on the bbq grill, but yesterday evening i was in a hurry and decided to use a cast iron pan instead. i brushed the spears w/ olive oil and spinkled w/ s & p like i always do but they turned out tasting really nasty.

do you think that it's a problem w/ the pan or what?!?

:sad:

I have never used a cast-iron fry pan but use a cast-iron grill pan for asparagus all the time. I dress it just as you have with olive oil, Kosher salt & pepper and it usually gets even those who claim to not like asparagus!

Grill pan ridges do keep the asparagus out of the oil- maybe that was it?

What kind of nasty? I sautee asparagus quite often in my cast iron though I do have a preference for roasting and I don't have any off flavors. Maybe you're not using enough evoo? Is your cast iron seasoned well? How often do you use it?

Yeah, I'm confused, too. My wife loves to cook asparagus on skewers in the grill pan. She's doing some this weekend, and I'm gonna ask her to make it in the cast iron skillet just to see what's up.

Whereas asparagus does have some wierd (pee-affecting) chemical properties, I really don't see why it would come out "tasting really nasty". Maybe it was just bad asparagus?

edit: Don't type whilst intoxicated.

Edited by bleachboy (log)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Strange. I never make asparagus in cast iron because I always drizzle on a little vinegar at the end, which would react with the iron.

Are you positive there was no acid in the pan?

--

Sometimes asparagus that looks perfectly beautiful turns out to be a real soddy mess once cooked. I'm sure it has something to do with the transit or storage, but I always break a stalk at the store to ensure it has not wooded-up or turned mooshy. And if there were the presence of sulphur in the asparagus, that might explain blackening in cast iron. Try it again and let us know...I'm intrigued now.

Grill pan ridges do keep the asparagus out of the oil- maybe that was it?

I don't think so. I often just lay the spears on a sheet pan, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper, and run under the broiler. Sitting in the oil has no apparent deleterious effect.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

could it have been too hot? Olive oil can burn at a fairly low temp. If it was really smokin' that could be the cause. May be better to use no oil (if its well seasoned) - or a little grapeseed oil then drizzle the EVOO on afterwards.