• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving in New York

Liz

I put this same question in General Topics, but it really belongs here. To repeat, I hate the thought of having to have Thanksgiving in a restaurant, but we are stuck. My son works in a 3* New York restaurant and the last thing he wants is a 4* experience. We, his parents, are very happy to go to Jean Georges or Lespinasse. Any suggestions for keeping us all happy on November 22?

Jean Georges or Lespinasse? You'll get no sympathy from me, lady.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, my problem is that he doesn't want to go to Jean Georges or Lespinasse. He wants ?????? As I tried to explain, I want good food, but as in he is in the industry,  he is tired.

years ago the four seasons used to do a nice thanksgiving we went as kids they would give you a turkey and trimmings at each table I dont know if they still do it also ive had great luck at Gotham for holiday meals great food no pretension.

I ended up making reservations at 2 places at either end of the spectrum... Home and Gotham.  Surprisingly, the prices aren't all that different, though the ๖ at Home includes a different wine with each course (it's โ w/o the wine).  I've never been to either, but am leaning towards Home at this point thinking it will have more of a festive spirit.  Has anyone been to Home recently? [don't flame me PLEASE, I plan to cancel one in plenty of time.]

Liz: "My son works in a 3* New York restaurant and the last thing he wants is a 4*"

I've just thought of something. Why not "Peasant"? 194 Elizabeth St, 965-9511. I reported on it a few days ago. And it's such a change from the regular 3 and 4 star places that we're going back tonight....probably for more plain, honest suckling pig. This might appeal to your son b/c it's where chefs like to go on their nights off.

I ended up making reservations at 2 places at either end of the spectrum... Home and Gotham.  Surprisingly, the prices aren't all that different, though the ๖ at Home includes a different wine with each course (it's โ w/o the wine).  I've never been to either, but am leaning towards Home at this point thinking it will have more of a festive spirit.  Has anyone been to Home recently?

I've eaten at both Home and Gotham and my choice for Thanksgiving would be Gotham. Home has a nice outdoor garden and it's great to sit out there on a nice sunny afternoon. However, everytime I've had lunch at Home, I find the portions somewhat skimpy and I'm always a little hungry afterwards even though I've had three courses.

My apartment in Manhattan is small so the last thing I want to do on a nice holiday is sit in a cramped space like Home. I'm sure Home will live up to its name on Thanksgiving and have a nice presentation but I prefer the space at Gotham and the food is excellent. That's my take on both places.

Wherever you wind up, happy Turkey!

I'm with Ruby.  Home is cramped, inconsistent and often has skimpy portions.

Gotham is far more professional and reliable.  You'd be much better off there.

However, I've been to a number of highly regarded restaurants on Thanksgiving with my extended family and I have never been anything but disappointed.

When a particular holiday requires that the majority of diners will be ordering the same items, my experience has been that the food is prepared and sometimes even plated in advance and it shows.

Mark Bittman's Minimal Thanksgiving would be far better than even a 4*, IMHO.

Gotham is a great choice I think we have gone for mothers day twice and they do a nice holiday menu the service is always great non holidays too. And the desserts are great!!!! Last mothers day thought they asked for credit card pre payment for the prix fixe menu I thought that was sort of tacky but in todays world with so many no shows I wasnt surprised. Did they ask for pre payment for Thanksgiving Im curious

I guess by overwhelming majority, it's Gotham.

Did they ask for pre payment for Thanksgiving Im curious

Yes and no -- they asked for a credit card, but they only plan to authorize it, not charge it unless I fail to show and cancel the reservation.  Home also asked for a credit card number (though they stated they had no intention of charging it if I didn't show).  I have no problem with restaurants authorizing a credit card.  With the amount of no shows at 50% or higher at some places, I don't blame them.  Hotels do it and people don't complain.