• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekday breakfast in DC

A client is coming to town next week. He's on a very compressed schedule so we thought we'd start the day with breakfast. Only problem is I don't know where to go.

Would like something near the Watergate OR Metro Center. Nothing too pricey (it's business, but expense accounts are a touchy subject).

I'm looking for something a step up from coffee and a muffin. Something in the bacon & eggs/french toast family would be great. It can be casual, but not too greasy of a spoon.

Thanks!

One other option...

It's not quite metro center, but what about Luna Grill and Diner between Dupont and Farragut Square? They open at 8:00am.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

This isn't where you want to take a client, of course, but I recently went to the famous Florida Avenue Grill for breakfast. Man, is this place the definition of greasy spoon or what? Holy smokes. The condition of the interior, with grease and grime coating every available surface makes your average Waffle House look like Citronelle. I ordered hotcakes with bacon. My hotcakes came, but no bacon. I looked to the empty griddle and said 'they must have forgotten it'. Then up came the deep-fryer basket... containing my bacon. Whoa. :blink:

Chris Sadler

This isn't where you want to take a client, of course, but I recently went to the famous Florida Avenue Grill for breakfast. Man, is this place the definition of greasy spoon or what? Holy smokes. The condition of the interior, with grease and grime coating every available surface makes your average Waffle House look like Citronelle. I ordered hotcakes with bacon. My hotcakes came, but no bacon. I looked to the empty griddle and said 'they must have forgotten it'. Then up came the deep-fryer basket... containing my bacon. Whoa. :blink:

Deep fried bacon?

Now that's what I call inventive cuisine.

Move over Jose, get out of the way Ferran, you've got some competition! :laugh::laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

It's a good solid choice.

That IS a solid choice. I don't think you can go wrong with a Clyde's Group restaurant.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I had a breakfast meeting at Old Ebbitt today and it was quite good. My colleague had the American breakfast; I was wishing I were with a friend and not a business contact because the eggs were begging me to have a taste. They looked buttery yet fluffy - he ate every bite.

I had the french toast with bananas and walnuts with a side of bacon. Yum.

The coffee was in the good to just ok realm, but it was drinkable.

I'm very full now and even though it's only 10:30, I could use a nap.

I'm glad your breakfast went well.

Not that it matters much any more, but Old Ebbitt will be profiled on "The Best Of..." on the Food Network on 4/9 at 1:30 PM.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.