• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosemary and Sage Restaurant

fatcatbrew

After reading several conflicting reviews over the years, I decided to try Rosemary and Sage in Riverdale for myself. What a dissapointment! We walked in and stood standing in the entrance alone while we waited to be greeted as staff rushed by.

I thought the menu was very limited and overpriced for what you received. They recited a list of specials and then when we ordered, they stated that they had run out of about half of them, but it was early in the evening.... And The service was rushed - I don't mean we were rushed, I mean the staff was rushing about whizzing past you . Possibly understaffed that night???

We skipped desert because we wanted to have dessert back at our home and the waiter (possibly one of the owners) was visibly dissapointed that we were not ordering dessert and coffee. They didn't even say goodbye, thank you, etc. as we got up to leave after paying our check. BRRRR!

My wife and I had a very similar experience there for what was to be a celebratory dinner. The food was pricey, underwhelming and served luke warm; the room was small, loud and crowded. The staff was pleasant but not particularly attentive.

She made me promise not to go there for her upcoming not 39th and not 41st birthday (a sensitive subject). Her birthday is in the middle of May so I am thinking Rat's for brunch and a walk about. I hope that will get me back in her good culinary graces.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Rat's is far from Riverdale. I like Jocelyn's in Maplewood for special occasions.

Has anyone in the Riverdale area tried Ruga in Oakland recently? We ate there several years ago and we liked it. I do recall that it was very loud, but I thought that the food was good.

Rat's is an excellent choice. Be sure to leave enough time to walk around the sculpture gardens. I'd love to go there also for my not 39th and not 41st birthday. :wink: Was at Ruga about a year ago. No need to run back. Not bad but not very exciting either.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

To further hijack this post...

We went there the weekend following the 1999 hurricane, when all of the phones and some of the electricty was out in Oakland. We live there and I had just removed several large trees from my and my neighbors' yards, so it was time for a good meal. It was loud but an awful lot of fun - candles everywhere, whatever was closest to thawing came out of the kitchen, all very tasty. Haven't been back except for when we stop there for a drink on the way home from the movies sometimes, when we are not quite ready to let the babysitter go home. Have had appetizers there maybe 6 or 8 weeks ago. Very very tasty. I understand that Ruga has changed hands - I think the chef bought out the original owner - there seem to have been a number of changes to the menu.

As to trucking out to Rat's - I've never been there, though everyone here raves. I figure that this is a fairly traumatic birthday so it might be nice to drop the kids off at Grandma's and head out there and have a wander.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

The original owner of Ruga sold it about 2 yrs ago & opened EM Bistro in Los Angeles (which has been getting excellent reviews).

The last time we were at Ruga (probably about 5 yrs ago) it was ok, not great.

Definitely agree with the reviews posted here about Rosemary & Sage. Planned a birthday or anniversary dinner there a few yrs ago & was so disappointed. Food, service, etc., definitely below par.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

After reading several conflicting reviews over the years, I decided to try Rosemary and Sage in Riverdale for myself. What a dissapointment! We walked in and stood standing in the entrance alone while we waited to be greeted as staff rushed by.

I thought the menu was very limited and overpriced for what you received. They recited a list of specials and then when we ordered, they stated that they had run out of about half of them, but it was early in the evening.... And The service was rushed - I don't mean we were rushed, I mean the staff was rushing about whizzing past you . Possibly understaffed that night???

We skipped desert because we wanted to have dessert back at our home and the waiter (possibly one of the owners) was visibly dissapointed that we were not ordering dessert and coffee. They didn't even say goodbye, thank you, etc. as we got up to leave after paying our check. BRRRR!

Unfortunately, that experience has become the norm at R&S, based on my two experiences within the past year. It's unlikely I'll return anytime soon.

The food is delightful and engaging, and the wines are reasonably priced. But the FOH service has become frantic, and occasionally bizarre. Even with a 9pm seating and a half full house, the rush, the unending list of specials, the absence of a greeting or goodbye is unbecoming to a resto of this alleged caliber. Some of the problem is the high school age staff, but much of it is due to the absence of a captain / maitre. The one older gentleman attempts to run the room, serve tables, take/deliver drink orders (kids can't handle booze), greet customers, etc. That's way too much in a 30 table, 120 seat place.

It's a shame. This is a good resto, with excellent menu development, good specials, seasonal themes, etc. I called to discuss my comments and received the very clear impression that their favorable reviews in the papers outweighed what any customers might think.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I called to discuss my comments and received the very clear impression that their favorable reviews in the papers outweighed what any customers might think.

I'm sorry, that's bugged. Oh well, in this economy they'll find out. The public speaks when a dining room is half empty. How did speak of their fortunate press?

Hello Paul, nice to see you posting again. Jersey forums been a little quiet lately, look forward to seeing you.

Lou

Edited by Lreda (log)

Oh well, in this economy they'll find out. The public speaks when a dining room is half empty. How did speak of their fortunate press?

I was a little imprecise. The room was half full at 9pm when we arrived for our most recent visit. They didn't have (any) space available at 730.

Using An American Grill as a benchmark, I'd say R&S fell significantly short of the high standard your people regularly deliver. And, at a higher price. Not a good combination, old reviews notwithstanding

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for the compliment Paul, but I didn't post clearly. In what way were they so happy with their press that they ignored your comments on the phone? I mean if someone called me with a complaint I'd certainly take it seriously. A funny story if I may. I lost a line cook last week and have started taken a more serious emphasis in my kitchen than I've had the last year or so. My knees don't work as well as they did 10 years ago but I felt it was time to get me hands dirty again. Last Saturday was the 1st Saturday I pulled a full shift behind the line and it got my juices flowing again. Problem was I had a party of 16 with 4 orders consisting of Grouper which upon sending out was not as a attractive as I would have liked it. My fault, not so easy when you're a little out of game shape. I called the party next day and refunded their money for the 4 orders of Grouper. They were shocked and actually said it was delicious. I'm sure it tasted good but it wasn't up to my standards. I did this because I have a reputation that I'd like to uphold and the fact that I NEED my customers and if they booked a party of 16, they should get 16 perfect meals, not 12.

Lou

I'd like a refund for the free cheese platter I got> :biggrin:

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sure it tasted good but it wasn't up to my standards.

Lou,

I was really looking forward to meeting you already, but this post has sealed the deal for me! Maybe YOU can jump-start all of the other business owners on the planet and get them to adopt this mentality? :biggrin:

See you on 4/21!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Maybe YOU can jump-start all of the other business owners on the planet and get them to adopt this mentality? :biggrin:

See you on 4/21!

Curlz

Let them jump-start themselves. I'm in business, let them get a grasp of the world as it is. Not my place to tell someone how to run their business. I've got enough headaches. See ya on the 21st.

Lou

• 1 year later...

I thought that the food at Rosemary and Sage was OK.

The service and the atmosphere reminded me of the building itself: very white and square. The atmospere was very boring, and the service was rushed. What I mean was that the staff was not graceful in their movements. Very much like the Kentucky Derby.

When I was last there, I ordered a dessert (forgot was it was, which means not memorable). The young waitress placed the dessert in front of me, then cleared it instantly :huh: , placed it on another table nearby :angry: . The maitre'd removed the plate from them and returned it back to me.

That was very unprofessional!

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

The new Zagat is out... What do they say?

Rosemary and Sage

26 Hamburg Tpke.

(I-287, exit 53)

Riverdale, New Jersey 07457

973-616-0606

www.rosemaryandsage.com

Food Decor Service Cost

26 19 23 $50

“All you seek is here” at this 60-seat Riverdale home for “foodies”, where “new items are added regularly” to an “outstanding” New American menu and the “lovely owners” “pay attention to details”; with “interesting, affordable” wines and a five-course prix fixe dinner that’s a “great value”, “you won’t be disappointed”; N.B. Wednesday–Sunday, dinner only.

RAF

Yeah, and An American Grill gets NO ratings b/c it was a write-in entry. I only use Zagat's for addresses and phone number for this very reason!! Yeesh.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

An American Grill is in Randolph on Rt 10 W, and the owner is eG member Lou (LReda); click here for the thread on AAG! He's really got a great spot there--only wish I lived closer!

As for Zagat's, my impression is that when a restaurant gets a certain # of 'write-in' votes, it doesn't get any ratings the first time it's listed. Maybe someone else can explain further, but what I've learned is that while it used to be a legit source of info/ratings/reviews, it's now a full-blown popularity contest without any meat behind the comments. And sadly, the general public seems to use it as THE source of information about a restaurant, which is a shame for many of the places that are omitted!

I beleive I ate there several years ago. I remember it being nice. No scored means not enough people have submitted reviews to come up with and average. I have been an on-line subscriber for 3 or 4 years and to this day when I log onto a restaurant it shows what I wrote 3 or 4 years ago. It allows me to update my notes but not submit and whole new one. I guess that prevents one person from stacking the deck. I watch how the review is written know that what is in quotes is from someones submission and they write a review by assembling quotes from a whole bunch of people. Sound bites bother me but you can usually pick out what will draw me to or place to dine or keep me away from it. I don't care about decore if the food and service are good. I can put up with average service as long as it's not an over-priced family joint. I go out for food and wine...

RAF