• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Most Overpriced Places

Stone

That's easy. See the thing about Whole Foods, or EAT is that admit it or not, there is some prestige involved in the transaction, you're essentially telling the world "I CAN PAY TEN BUCKS FOR AN AVERAGE EGG SALAD."

No, the biggest ripoff in the world at the moment are the mini Pepsi tins I see at the grocery. Six six ounce tins, $2.99. Why? It'll take a more insightful mind than mine to explain what would possess someone to buy them, when two feet away there are twelve packs of 12 oz. tins for the exact same price.

People are willing to pay a four time premium for a novelty pack? I'll never understand my fellow human beings.

The oyster bar in the food court at Harrod's.

Eighteen quid (pounds) for six oysters and you are sitting on uncomfortable stools to boot.

But Auntdot...Harrod's food court is all about people-watching on those uncomfortable stools. Mr. Al-Fayed would be satisfied with nothing less....

5 dollar hot dogs at Giants Stadium

Sports Stadium food in general.

At the new Petco baseball park in downtown San Diego, a footlong is $6 and a chicken rice bowl is $7.50.

Of course, why eat at the ballpark when you can walk a block or two and get some fantastic food in the Gaslamp District.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad it's in Cleveland.   :sad:

Hey! :angry:

That's [Westside Market] within walking distance to my restored Victorian home, my place of employ and the location of my family's new restaurant!!!

Thank heavens it is in Cleveland!!!!!! :wub:

edit: clarity

Thank heavens it is in Cleveland!!!!!!  :wub:

Amen, Brother!

The Westside Market is fantastic, and is a great place to find bargains. Produce is so cheap there it's absurd. And to top it off, you can shop and eat the best brats in town.

Bottled water, almost anywhere. $/£/€ 5 for a bottle that probably cost $/£/€ 0.5. If every item could earn margins like that, I'd go into the restaurant biz.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Thank heavens it is in Cleveland!!!!!!   :wub:

Amen, Brother!

The Westside Market is fantastic, and is a great place to find bargains. Produce is so cheap there it's absurd. And to top it off, you can shop and eat the best brats in town.

A HUGE Red Carpet welcome to a fellow Clevelander RagallachMC!!!!

And that's sister to you! :wink::biggrin:

Narrin's (I can never remember how to spell her name :sad: ) Asian Spice stand with millions of exotic sauces, Ohio City pasta's fresh offerings, The Cheese Shop's fantastic selection of cheeses, Kluth's smokies, Calabrese's citrus, among other favourites -- it is a food shopping heaven.

I've seriously over spent on cheeses there, but well worth it.