• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Show, Chatham

scarlet knight

We had many memorable meals at The Show in Chatham. The service was quirky, the food was variable, but the staff had a certain joie de vivre and the food appealed to our francophile sensibilities. As we passed by it tonight, there was no furniture, lights or patrons. This is not a good sign for a restaurant at 6pm on a Saturday night.

P.S. - another of our cult favorites, Sweet Basil's of West Ornage, has a new chef and new decor. Our review is "so-so." Cloying sweet dressing on an arugula salad, serviceable entrees, pre-fab icky chocolate cake. We'd go back in a pinch because we live nearby. Wait a few months for a new chef

P.S. - another of our cult favorites, Sweet Basil's of West Ornage, has a new chef and new decor. Our review is "so-so." Cloying sweet dressing on an arugula salad, serviceable entrees, pre-fab icky chocolate cake. We'd go back in a pinch because we live nearby. Wait a few months for a new chef

I'm just curious about the term "cult favorite" because it sounds as if you don't like this restaurant very much.

Isn't The Show owned by the same people who own the French restaurant in Kenilworth?

One thing I did like about The Show was the proper use of the word bistro. Just down the block on Main St. in Chatham is an Italian restaurant, Danielle, that calls itself a bistro when the proper term is tratoria. Just another quibble.

Hey its Saturday night and I'm home babysitting, this is the best I can do!

I called it a "cult favorite" because Sweet Basil's appeal seems limited to myself, my wife and 2 or 3 other tables this past Friday. Like The Show, it has its charms, such as friendly, helpful servers and the occasional great meal, but something is missing, such as consistency and other diners. Nevertheless, I'd like to see thiese quirky, individual places stay in business. We don''t need more chains.

I think that the chef at The Show is a relative of the chef at Le Rendez-Vous in Kenilworth. That was a favorite of ours, but the last time we went the fish tasted fishy and a medium steak arrived well done. We were turned off.

has the menu changed much? and, is the decor change an improvement? it was pretty terrible before--when i was there several months ago, i think there were still remnants of the decor that had been in place about 10 years ago, when it was a deli...

The dinner menu at Sweet Basil's has not changed much. They used to give a free salad with dinner, but now it's $2 extra. The entrees are very similar to past menus. It's modern American.

The decor is better. They got rid of a big hutch or cabinet. Its walls are bright yellow. The utility meter and the fuse box prominently protrude from the wall.

If you live in the greater West Orange area and you forgot to get a reservation at Epernay or Fascino, Sweet Basil's is OK. I just find it annoying that they can't keep a chef for 6 months. If you enjoy a menu item, it may leave with the chef.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

"If you live in the greater West Orange area and you forgot to get a reservation at Epernay or Fascino, Sweet Basil's is OK. "

I would go to Bella Rosa- East Hanover, Stretches-Livingston, Corso 98 --Montclair, or Il Forno Montclair.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE