• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Food Help

Ok, I am new to this forum, and I am sure that this question has been posed before. However, I am hoping that you all won't mind answering again to help a Southerner in distress! I am going to visit my cousin in Seattle in April. She recently moved there after college graduation, and hasn't had much time to really explore the Seattle food scene. She knows that I am an extremely anal trip planner, particularly when it comes to food, so she is counting on me to introduce her to some good restaurants. We are both adventurous eaters and are only picky when it comes to the quality of food, not the type. I will be there for lunch and dinner on four days. In terms of price, we would prefer to stay at or below the $25-$30 per entree range for dinners. What restaurants would you recommend? Thanks for any and all help!

Betsy

I've listed some of my favorites along with brief descriptions. If you do a search on any of the names, you can find a lot of info here about any of them.

Union - a new contemporary Northwest restaurant. Everything I've had there has been outstanding.

Lark - another newcomer from Chef Johnathan Sundstrom, a little more rustic and casual that Union. Focuses on small plates.

Brasserie Margaux - Nortwest influenced French. Always my nominee for most underrated restaurant in town.

Salumi - Mario Batali's Dad makes some painfully good cured meats and sausages as well as other specialties for lunch. Show up early!

Harvest Vine - Spanish tapas of supreme quality. Can get pricey if you're hungry.

Maximilien - Classic French in the Pike Place Market with one of the best views in town.

If you have any more specific interests, that always help in knowing what direction to guide you in.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I would add to that list:

Cafe Campagne (lovely for weekend brunch but dinner is also quite fabulous)

Matt's in the Market

Le Pichet

Nell's (for a high end special night out)

Flying Fish

Elliott's for classic NW seafood: raw oysters and dungeness with drawn butter.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Here are some casual, ethnic places, if you're in the mood for that (I think your cousin should at least know about these places):

Osteria La Spiga-Italian

Seven Stars Pepper-Szechuan

Malay Satay Hut-Malaysian

Coliman-Mexican (it's out of the way, considerably south of downtown, but worth the drive)

India Bistro

You *must* hit Pike Place Market - their motto of "Meet the Producer" is spot-on! For a quick bite there, Uli's Sausages does great sausage sandwiches, and one of the piroshky shops has a smoked salmon pirosky that I love!

Go on down to Seattle's Best Coffee at about 7 AM and grab a warm drink while the market wakes up around you - it's fascinating. Pike Place Brewing Company has terrific beers and a wonderful smoked salmon pizza among other things.

Don't miss the fresh roasted cashews at Pike Place Nuts, either - they're a delicious hot snack to much on while you walk. If it's cold, long underwear is your friend.

Here are some casual, ethnic places, if you're in the mood for that (I think your cousin should at least know about these places)

To the 'ethnic' list, I'd definitely add Porta, a Greek restaurant on Eastlake. Certainly the best Greek food I've had...anywhere...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

To the 'ethnic' list, I'd definitely add Porta, a Greek restaurant on Eastlake. Certainly the best Greek food I've had...anywhere...

tighe, can you tell us more about porta? i love greek food and i've never been there. any special dishes i should make sure to order? do i need a reservation?

tighe, can you tell us more about porta? i love greek food and i've never been there. any special dishes i should make sure to order? do i need a reservation?

My voluminous ramblings on Porta can be found here.

I'm now convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fried octopus is laced with crack. Other than what I mention in my initial review, the lamb chops are excellent. Except dessert (skip it), I've never had anything there that I wasn't thrilled with. Generally no reservations are needed, but for Greek holidays and some weekend nights, it can get very busy.

Wow! You guys are great! Thanks so much for the recommendations. I am sure I will be back with questions as I try to prepare an itinerary and I will definitely be back to post a report on the trip! Thanks again!

Betsy

At your price, you can eat almost anywhere - especially if you meant "per entree." Are you prepared to spend additional for appetizers, sides, dessert...? Nice budget if you can swing it. While you'll miss this month's 25 for $25 promotion, there are a number of restaurants that do prix fix all year round, and there are other specials that happen here and there. Also, many happy hours that offer cheap gourmet eats in the bar with purchase of a beverage.

No one has asked, but what type of food and ambience are you looking for? Obviously, we love our local places and highly recommend staying out of the national chains, but there are the nice places, the ethnic type (more moderate to cheap) eats, the visit with the tourists places that aren't bad, the hip places, the foodie places, and the rest (some categories may overlap.) You should be able to eat well and have lots of fun.

Just about all of the Ethiopian places are good, provided you don't mind eating with your fingers off of a common platter with your friend. My favorite places are Fasica (Columbia City), Pan Africa (Pike Place Market area on 1st Ave) and Zobel (Central District). I love Hidmo as well, an Eritrean place also in the CD.

If it's available, try and pre-arrange for the coffee ceremony too if you two have the time for it and like coffee. Given your budget, it shouldn't be a problem money-wise. They are between $15 - $25 per person (food tends to be very inexpensive), and your coffee is made from beans freshly roasted (the roasting thing is brought around for everyone to sniff), ground and brewed on the premises in a special urn, and served in shots while you sit at a low table with incense being burned. Very smooth stuff.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

We also will be travelling to Seattle, however, in mid-May for a wedding. Will be there almost a week. My first time back in Seattle in over 25 years, and her first trip there ever. Thanks for all the great suggestions already. We are particularly interested in seafood, of course. We don't eat red meat. Asian, Northwest, Pacific Rim, Pan-Asian suggestions also appreciated. I won't say that price is no object, but we can swing some higher end places as well. Thanks!

Mark A. Bauman

If you like sushi, there are two places I'd recommend:

Mashiko (in West Seattle) - for innovative sushi

Nishino (Madison Valley, east of downtown) - for more traditional sushi

They're very different, but both excellent places.