• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-smoking Portugese restaurants?

markk

I'm sure this is a very long-shot, but are there any non-smoking Portughese restaurants in Newark (or elsewhere)? I've seen that in lots of New Jersey places there's a ban on smoking even though it's not the law, and so I wonder if anybody has encountered any smoke-free Purtughese restaurants in the Ironbound or elsewhere?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Don't know about any of the ones in Newark, but there's a great little place in Belleville on Cleveland St. (ave.?) called Solar Do Minho. It's Portuguese/Brazilian, and the focus seems to be on seafood and rodizio. It seemed smoke-free to me and it's quite close to Newark.

we had dinner at tony da caneca the other night and were seated in what had been the smoking section.  i did not see anyone smoking.  the food was delicious

Tony da Caneca actually has one room reserved for non-smokers, which was where we sat. As for the food, it was very good on one visit and mediocre on another.

Markk,

I'm very sensitive to smoke but tend to put up with it only on trips to the Ironbound (really!); had lunch at Adega Grill on Ferry Street a couple of weeks ago, and actually commented on the fact that there wasn't anyone smoking. You might want to call them and ask if the restaurant is non-smoking (there's also a bar and a real NYC-style lounge--both separate). The food was delicious, sangria very tasty, and the service was far better than anywhere else that I've been to in the Ironbound. :wub: Don't forget to let us know if you have luck at any of these places!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

had lunch at Adega Grill on Ferry Street a couple of weeks ago, and actually commented on the fact that there wasn't anyone smoking.

Well, I tracked them down, and right on the home page of their website (http://www.adegagrill.com/) it says "No smoking in the restaurant."

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find. Thank you very much for this post.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

Try checking Teros on Ridge Road in Lyndhurst, across from the cemetery and just south of the corner of New York Ave. They had a very smal front dining room that was part of the bar and it was typically smoky but when I moved away from that area in July they were workign on a dining room expansion. It was my understanding that the new dining room would be completely separated from the bar and would be non-smoking. If I recall correctly, I think that Spain, in newark, offers a non-smoking dining room also but I was unimpressed by their food. Teros is good and also moderately priced.

In my opinion, the hands-down best restaurant in the Ironbound is Seabra's Marisqueria (a glance off Ferry Street, on the same turn as the smaller Seabra's supermarket).

The better place to eat in the restaurant is the large horseshoe-shaped bar and the window-fronted area surrounding it.

But there is also a back room, where smokers don't venture (I've never seen anyone smoke there in well over a score visits). You can call in advance and check, but I'm fairly certain that it's a restaurant policy since the back room is also very kid-friendly.

--

The service, by the way, is excellent, very patient and friendly. They also comp parking at the lot opposite, which is an issue in the Ironbound.

--

Happy to give you menu recommendations if you wish, this is a place I'm always eager to turn new people on to and it has yet to disappoint.

Edited by bhelpuri (log)

In my opinion, the hands-down best restaurant in the Ironbound is Seabra's Marisqueria (a glance off Ferry Street, on the same turn as the smaller Seabra's supermarket).

... there is also a back room, where smokers don't venture (I've never seen anyone smoke there in well over a score visits). You can call in advance and check, but I'm fairly certain that it's a restaurant policy since the back room is also very kid-friendly.

I'll second this recommendation and I also don't recall ever seeing smokers in the back dining room there. The seafood selections are outstanding and I really enjoy that cubed pork and potato dish with lemon. Can't recall the name but it's so tasty.

How can you eat Portuguese food without the extra taste of cigarette smoke infused into it?

I don't know. As much as I hate cigarette smoke, for me it's endurable for short periods if the food is that superior.

It's not the pinnacle of rodizio (it's fairly good if not the pinnacle), but the Seabra's Mediterranean Manor (site of a long ago eGullet gathering) has always seemed relatively breathable to me. I think they stick the smokers near the bar and leave the rest of the place smoke free. Except... you know... the roasting-meat smoke from the kitchen. :smile:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Why don't you just breeze through the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel into NYC where you are guaranteed a smoke-free dining experience?

that's certainly an option for some, although not everyone is very keen on it. what are some good choices in manhattan? i don't know of many.

Why don't you just breeze through the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel into NYC where you are guaranteed a smoke-free dining experience?

I can't remember the last time I "breezed" through the tunnel. There is always stop and go traffic.

It costs $6 to go through the tunnel and over $25 + to park in NYC. Much easier to drive to Newark.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

that's certainly an option for some, although not everyone is very keen on it. what are some good choices in manhattan? i don't know of many.

Well, how keen you are on the idea is directly proportional to how irritating the smoking would be to you;

Alfama on Hudson St in the West Village is the most famous Portuguese in the city, with original Fado singers, and actually, this thread is talking about Rodizio, which is really a Brazilian dish. There are a plethora of good Brazilians in the city serving Rodizio.

... and actually, this thread is talking about Rodizio,

i didn't get that impression. i think this thread is about a few things, but judging by the title and the first post, i'd lean more towards saying it's not "talking about" rodizio exclusively.

I can't remember the last time I "breezed" through the tunnel. There is always stop and go traffic.

It costs $6 to go through the tunnel and over $25 + to park in NYC. Much easier to drive to Newark.

I thought of NYC because the originator of this thread wanted a non-smoking Portuguese restaurant;

Also, Alfama (mentioned above) is probably more authentic Portuguese than the places in Newark, which tend to have a touristy/Iberian/Lobster-giant portion feel to them quite unlike a restaurant you would walk into in Lisbon. The Fado music is quite exotic as well.

N.B. $4 for the tunnel with EZ pass, and, except for the theater district, parking is actually possible on the street in NY.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Also, Alfama (mentioned above) is probably more authentic Portuguese than the places in Newark, which tend to have a touristy/Iberian/Lobster-giant portion feel to them quite unlike a restaurant you would walk into in Lisbon.  The Fado music is quite exotic as well. 

I'm not so sure about that. The Portuguese resaurants in Newark are run by Potuguese and cater mainly to Spanish and Portuguese clientele. I believe the ironbound has a far greater concentration of Portuguese than NYC, so I doubt the resaurants could really be called touristy. I'm sure there are great Iberian restos in NYC, but I believe you can get a pretty authentic meal in Newark (the Renaissance City :laugh: ).

When I said touristy, the Ironbound is now a tourist destination; you will never see 4 lb Lobsters nor 3 lb steaks in a restaurant in Portugal, as is featured in most of the Newark places;

I have heard, however, that Alfama is quite true to an actual menu found in a typical restaurant in Lisbon, e.g., Bacalhao, Grilled Sardinhas, Estufado... Check out their menu on menupages.com and you will see what I mean--

And lastly, the major issue on this thread was a NON-smoking place, and in NYC it is prohibited in all restaurants.

I have heard, however, that Alfama is quite true to an actual menu found in a typical restaurant in Lisbon, e.g., Bacalhao, Grilled Sardinhas, Estufado... Check out their menu on menupages.com and you will see what I mean--

so the one place that you got around to recommending you've never actually been to? :laugh:

And lastly, the major issue on this thread was a NON-smoking place,

i thought it was rodizio? :rolleyes:

Let me tell you something about the "portugese" restaurants in newark.........most of them suck and they are as far from real portugese food as you can get. Being a chop first generation speaking the language and visiting the country every two years or so i think i can come as close as you can get to being a pro on the food. So please stop nitpicking on what menton is sating because they are 100% correct on what they are sayign by being touristy. Yeah they have a couple of authentic dishes but thats as far as they go.