• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking from the Pantry (merged)

Malawry

One thing my mom does with the appetizer/snacky type stuff is to just set it off to the side somewhere, with napkins, small dishes of olives, cheese, nuts, crackers, salami, etc. so people can wander by, and pop an olive or whatever. She cuts the cheese into 5/8" to 3/4" or so cubes so that's easier. You could put the drinks there too. This might loosen up any discomfort they bring with them to your home, instead of leaving you all staring at each other around the coffee table, people can pop up for a snack if things get wierd. Remember, you're doing THEM a favor here, if they're ill mannered, throw them out!

Best luck!

Edited by Samhill (log)

As long as you're making extra sauce, make double or triple the recipe. The part that doesn't go in the lasagna, have available (in a gravy boat?) in case anyone wants extra sauce. The rest makes a good meal later in the week, or freeze for a quick meal a few weeks or months from now.

Would it be feasible to invite some friends over? Some really really good friends who know how sucky your relationship with these people is? Having another couple there would give them and you someone else to talk to and might prevent them from being overly obnoxious to you.

Menu advice: Remember to let the lasagna rest for 20-30 minutes after it comes out of the oven before cutting. It needs to set up. I'd plate it in the kitchen. This is for two reasons: First, the first slice always gets mangled, and you'll probably be a little nervous about plating in front of them anyway. So just have an extra plastic container available to dump the mangled piece into (you can reheat it for lunch on Monday :smile:). Second, if you have mismatched plates and are nervous about them, they won't all be sitting on the table, empty and obvious, to be stared out before the food covers them up.

Have the salad and bread on the table for people to serve themselves.

Although you and I might appreciate spinach in the lasagna, they won't (remember, these are the people that raised your food-ambivalant hoover, I mean husband :wink:). Instead, perhaps you could offer a vegetable side dish? I like having a green vegetable with Italian red sauce dishes, like green beans or broccoli. The day before, when you are boiling the pasta, before boiling the pasta, blanch the vegetables. Then, before service, heat a large skillet, add some olive oil and sliced/minced/chopped/crushed/whatever garlic, a sprinkling of salt, and the cold blanched green vegetable. Stir around until the vegetable is hot. I add the garlic at the same time as the vegetable so it doesn't burn. Either plate this in the kitchen with the lasagna or just put in a serving bowl on the table.

The salad plates can either be used when setting the table, or stacked next to the salad bowl. If stacked, instruct your husband on serving the salad (it should already be (lightly) dressed if you are making a homemade dressing, have extra dressing available in case they are salad drowners :sad:).

If you are missing any serving pieces you feel you should have (vegetable serving bowl, bread basket, salad tongs), hit the garage sales on Saturday morning. Who knows, you might get an entire matched set of dishes for $10. Have cash in your pocket (lots of singles) not your purse and bargain -- "see this is all I have."

Cantaloupe is in season right now, so may be on sale. I just made a fabulous fruit salad of cantaloupe and blueberries (also on sale) which would be an excellent starter or dessert. I think pie might be too heavy a dessert on top of a lasagna. If not a fruit salad, just some cut up watermelon (can be done the day before) is perfect for the Fourth of July.

Good luck and keep smiling!!!

I think pie might be too heavy a dessert on top of a lasagna. If not a fruit salad, just some cut up watermelon (can be done the day before) is perfect for the Fourth of July.

Good luck and keep smiling!!!

True, but, it WOULD get them out of the house sooner, most likely. :wink:

This is why I love eG, so many good posts advising people who have real questions about cooking.

Thing is, we all can relate to your dilemmas, RS, and I've learned a lot from the responses to your questions.

:biggrin:

Edited by Samhill (log)

I think pie might be too heavy a dessert on top of a lasagna.

True, but, it WOULD get them out of the house sooner, most likely. :wink:

It actually reminded me of the time I made bread pudding for a Thanksgiving dessert. No one wanted any after all the other starches. What is stuffing but a savory bread pudding anyway? Anyway, I was thinking you didn't want to make them sleepy with all the starches -- egads, they might need to sleep over!!!

I'm trying hard not to dwell on the past, but I just have no clue why on earth they want to come here, and what on earth I'm supposed to talk to them about.
I wish we could all drink some nice wine but I'm on too many meds, and I think his dad is a recovering alcoholic.

It's conceivable that the two are related. Alcoholics (and other addicts) who "get with the program" of the 12 Step recovery process eventually get to the stage where they begin to make amends - it's a necessary and crucial part of recovery. That said, once the recovery process is underway, recovering alcoholics often find themselves in social situatiosn where alcohol is served or readily available. Have some wine or beer and offer it as a pre-dinner drink "in case someone wants some" but I'd be inclined not to serve it with the meal, especially in light of the fact that at least two of you probably won't be drinking anyway.

You've received great suggestions here already - culinary and otherwise. be yourself, cook and serve a "nice meal" just as you would if friends came over. If they're coming to visit after ten years of not setting foot in your house it's definitley not for the food. The blessing of a child/grandchild should be plenty for a topic of conversation.

Thank you all for your replies. I am kind of trying to take it all in and write things down so I don't get confused trying to picture how to pull it all together. I'm going to make a list of things to do, when to do them. I'm sure I'll have questions on Saturday as I think more about it...

Well, for sure I have one right now. I know you all probably think I'm a cretin, but--when laying out salami or sliced meats, should I be putting crackers with them or something? How do you eat it, just slap the meat on a plate and eat it with a fork or what?

Good point about the olives, and about the spinach. Rachel, you made a good point about that, reminding me not to get too fancy. I asked my husband what he ate growing up and he said they had chicken every day. And meatloaf on special occasions.

I like the tent idea, but we don't have a tent. We do, however, have some space in the basement next to the cat boxes. :raz:

So do I have everyone's blessing, I can skip the bechamel and use sliced or grated fresh mozzarella for that layer? Or should I still try the bechamel anyway?

Rachel Sincere

Bechamel is easy, but skip it if a big deal meal to them was meatloaf! Try it next week after they're gone. Bechamel turns into a great cheese sauce with the addition of grated cheese, which then can turn into any number of things - a sauce for veggies, eggs benedict instead of hollandaise, croque monsieur sammies...

Best of luck to you, and remember - this too shall pass.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Hmm. I'm wondering if you shouldn't bother with fresh mozzarella? They won't appreciate it and may even think it's weird or something. You're better off sticking with Polly-o and using the fresh when you make the fancy bechamel version for yourselves or friends.

I loved :laugh: this garlic bread suggestion:

Make a really garlic, garlic bread to go with the lasagna. That way they have something to complain about and will forget the other complaints.

To be honest, my instinct would be to leave out the cold meats, and make up for it in olives and chz, swiss lace is nice in cubes, I would get olives WITH pits, the best you can find, and just make sure everyone knows they have pits, it matters! If you can't get them with pits, just get green 'queen size' martini olives, and some kalamatas. Some mixt nuts, some chips for the kiddo, you're set with almost no effort.

No need to get elaborate, IMO.

I agree with Rachel on the Polly-O mozz, but I would not put out cheese as a before-dinner nibble -- lasagne is already a cheese-fest. I'd stick to salami. And sure, put out a plate of Triscuits or Wheat Thins next to the salami. Or Carr's Water Biscuits if you wanna get fancy. :biggrin: You don't need plates for the salami -- people can eat it on crackers or just by the slice. If it's by the slice, it's strictly a one-bite deal, so they won't need plates.

Personally, I would still opt for pie for dessert, if only because it's a bit more festive than fruit salad, plus you can just buy the sucker, rather than having something else to make.

I'd cut up some vegs and make a simple onion dip by adidng finely minced onion, shallot, chives (optional), and celery salt for before dinner. No one can complain about fresh veggies!

bleu -

do you add those herbs to sour cream? mayo? a combination?

(just curious)

rachel - as you can see -you really can't go wrong - but i would not break the bank for these people. mixed nuts and veggies and dip is fine...

also - i think i read that you were planning to get fresh lasagne sheets. if so - you don't need to boil them. (frankly i never boil them because they stick together and then rip) - if you use dry noodles you just need to compensate by adding more liquid (sauce).

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I just went shopping. I guess I answered my fresh mozz vs. bechamel question. The store was busy and I grabbed the container of fresh mozz in water. I got home and saw that it is in little balls the size of cherry tomatoes! Unless I want to put little cheese bombs in the lasagne, that's not going to work. I'm not driving an hour back to get the right stuff...

now what the heck do I do with the little cheese balls?

Rachel Sincere

no problem! - just cut them up. each boccancini (little ball - horribly misspelled by me) can be sliced into discs...maybe 4-5 discs per ball. just slice them and use them the same way you would any other cheese. :smile:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Hmm, reviewing your pantry list from upthread, I see you have frozen shredded mozzarella. Use that for the interior cheese and save the fresh for dotting the top of the lasagna. Also, if you happen to have a certain green can of "parmasan cheez" the interior of the lasagna would be a good place to finish that off, too.

Good ideas. I do not have one of those green cans of cheese, to me that stuff smells like vomit. I do have real shredded Parmesan, though.

Just to report what I've been cooking for pantry challenge...

Yesterday I made French toast, for the liquid I juiced a bunch of those oranges I had. Then I found a small bag of ground almonds so after I dipped the French bread into the egg/orange stuff then I dipped it into the almonds. It was really good--tasted just like an orange dreamsicle! And baked some of that applewood smoked thick slab Cudahy bacon to go alongside. Wow!

Last night I took someone's advice upthread and made fried rice from the leftover jasmine rice from the fish. I used the recipe from "How to Cook Without a Book" (had just gotten it from the library) and added cooked chicken and more peas. It was very good.

Today, well...can someone come and take this stupid Dinner Doctor cookbook away from me? I keep stubbornly trying recipes, thinking "This can't be THAT bad." I took that pork butt and put it in the Crock Pot with my last package of taco seasoning (I know, from now on I'll use my own spices, which I've had all along), a chopped onion, a can of mild green chiles, 3 cloves of garlic, and a cup of water. That's exactly how the entire recipe went, it didn't mention salt/pepper and I didn't think of it. The pork was somewhat dry, even though it was swimming in liquid, and didn't have much taste either. It was supposed to be "carnitas" and I put it on tortillas with some lettuce. Very UNflavorful. I really don't like pork roasts in the Crock Pot, why do I keep making them? And why do I keep using that stupid cookbook? :wacko:

Oh, besides the makings of lasagne I did get a lovely cantaloupe and some Michigan blueberries, and a can of mixed nuts. I'm still deciding on the pie. There's this stupid circus parade in town tomorrow (160,000 people expected to be here, and only 13,000 people LIVE here) so I don't know if I even want to try to go to that restaurant to get a pie. Thanks for suggestions--and I'm going to have more questions as the day approaches... :biggrin:

Rachel Sincere

Today, well...can someone come and take this stupid Dinner Doctor cookbook away from me? I keep stubbornly trying recipes, thinking "This can't be THAT bad."

Give it to the inlaws! (Tell them the recipes are foolproof :wink: )

Yesterday I made French toast, for the liquid I juiced a bunch of those oranges I had.  Then I found a small bag of ground almonds so after I dipped the French bread into the egg/orange stuff then I dipped it into the almonds.  It was really good--tasted just like an orange dreamsicle!  And baked some of that applewood smoked thick slab Cudahy bacon to go alongside.  Wow!

Damn, Rachel, that sounds fantastic. Brunch is at your house! (I'll bring the coffee and fresh peaches.)

Sounds like all you need to do is trust your instincts, gain some confidence and use the Force (forks?.) You are a born culinary Jedi. :biggrin:

Edited by enrevanche (log)

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

I'd cut up some vegs and make a simple onion dip by adidng finely minced onion, shallot, chives (optional), and celery salt for before dinner.  No one can complain about fresh veggies!

bleu -

do you add those herbs to sour cream? mayo? a combination?

(just curious)

rachel - as you can see -you really can't go wrong - but i would not break the bank for these people. mixed nuts and veggies and dip is fine...

also - i think i read that you were planning to get fresh lasagne sheets. if so - you don't need to boil them. (frankly i never boil them because they stick together and then rip) - if you use dry noodles you just need to compensate by adding more liquid (sauce).

Sour cream! :wub:

Yesterday I made French toast, for the liquid I juiced a bunch of those oranges I had.  Then I found a small bag of ground almonds so after I dipped the French bread into the egg/orange stuff then I dipped it into the almonds.  It was really good--tasted just like an orange dreamsicle!  And baked some of that applewood smoked thick slab Cudahy bacon to go alongside.  Wow!

Damn, Rachel, that sounds fantastic. Brunch is at your house! (I'll bring the coffee and fresh peaches.)

Sounds like all you need to do is trust your instincts, gain some confidence and use the Force (forks?.) You are a born culinary Jedi. :biggrin:

Yes, I agree, Rachel has created a masterpiece with the french toast. I'll bring the champagne!

Did you husband comment on the breakfast? :cool:

I'm curious about "roasts" in the crockpot...can you steam-roast in your crockpot with no liquid at all? I tried it with a chicken (in New Zealand, I don't have a crockpot in Japan) and was impressed - it was nice and juicy.

A couple of insanely useful crockpot recipe sites:

Crockery Kitchen

About.com's Southern Food Crockpot Index

Every crockpot roast recipe I've ever seen has included at least a little bit of liquid... some water, stock, vegetable juice, *something.* I make a crockpot pot roast pretty often and it always turns out really well; it uses some (not a lot) stock, a little red wine, and also the juices from the vegetables cook out somewhat.

But you never know. Poke around in those recipe collections; maybe somebody has a dry method that works.

Edited by enrevanche (log)

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain