• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking from the Pantry (merged)

Malawry

stale Kosher miniature marshmallows,

:wacko: I think that one just has to go. Or do you want to cook something with them :laugh:

You mean, like when you thaw blackberries to have with your joghurt for breakfast, only to find out it was braised red cabbage (I am really, really bad at labelling stuff  :wacko: )

You mean, like when you throw a package of frozen raspberries in the blender at 2AM to make frozen daquiris, only to find out that red pepper daquiris don't taste so good even at 2AM :wacko:

Could I make 'smore daquiris without graham crackers?

Too small to toast over the gas burner on the end of a two-prong fork which I am wont to do with larger ones.

As for all the dried beans in the cabinet, yes, I hear you. I don't like cooking every night and do like cooking, so I tend to prepare several things over the weekend. If there's too much, I have an old friend nearby, a working mom in a house of guys who are either meat-eaters or still not out of the White Food phase (new development: loves pesto!). Since we share tastes, she's grateful for things to bring to lunch or share with husband on a busy weeknight.

Besides, I love soups made from all sorts of beans during the winter, I've spent a lot of time in a city whose natives are known as bean-eaters and a long time in another where I swear, half the population is vegetarian...or at least 1/3 of the folk within my circle. They're a way for me to distinguish myself from my family (no bean eaters there) and to feel nostalgic about an era that was not even mine...well, never mind the essay. Let's just say, the contents of these jars don't get used very much after May, though I love making falafel (only reason I bought the food processor) and having NEVER made a salad with Le Puys before, I am rediscovering my appreciation for Alice Waters and HER Lulu.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I love this thread. My last trip to the grocery store was this past Sunday. I think I'll officially start this experiment tonight through next Thursday or Friday. I haven't gone through every item in the my fridge/freezer/pantry, but off the top of my head:

Fridge:

Leftovers of ham, potato salad, green beans, corn on the cob, turkey. Just made blue cheese dip.

Meats:

Whole Chicken, Ground Beef, Chicken Wings, Sweet Italian Sausage, Beef Roast, Beef bones that I never got around to making stock with (how long do these hold up in the freezer anyway?), Hot Dogs.

Dairy/Eggs:

Regular Butter, Irish Butter, Light Cream, Whole Milk, Buttermilk, Vanilla Yogurt, American Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan, Cream Cheese, dozen and a half eggs, Sour Cream.

Produce:

Garlic, Ginger, Onions, Celery, Mushrooms, Red and Green Peppers, Apples, Lemons, Bananas, Mangoes, Pineapple, Watermelon, Tomatoes, Avocado, Corn, Spinach (Frozen), Green Beans (Frozen), Okra (Frozen).

Pantry:

Assorted Tomato Products (Whole Peeled, Puree, Paste, Rotel), Sauerkraut, Capers, Tuna, Sardines, Tomato Soup, Assorted Pasta, Oatmeal, Cornmeal, Grits, Baked Beans, Walnuts, Raisins (Dark and Golden), Butterscotch Chips, Rice, Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Flour, Baking Soda/Baking Powder, Peanut Butter, Mystery can of beets (hey, I didn't buy them :wink:).

Condiments/Misc.

Ketchup, Yellow Mustard, Deli Mustard, Chinese Style Hot Mustard, Sesame Oil, Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, Various Vinegars (Red Wine, Rice Wine, Balsamic, Apple Cider), Mayo, Miracle Whip, Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Olives, Jams, and Jellies, Sriracha, Chinese Black Beans, Plum Sauce, Chinese Style Chili and Garlic Sauce, Hoisin Sauce.

There's more for sure, but for now that's all that comes to mind. Any suggestions?

Edited to add many, many commas. :rolleyes:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one that will definitely be a challenge - anyone got a recipe or viable use for canned oysters? :huh: Don't ask how they ended up in my pantry...

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Here's one that will definitely be a challenge - anyone got a recipe or viable use for canned oysters?  :huh:  Don't ask how they ended up in my pantry... 

u.e.

I put them in cornbread...the smoked ones. I add a little latin spice mix and it's pretty good.

Here's one that will definitely be a challenge - anyone got a recipe or viable use for canned oysters?  :huh:  Don't ask how they ended up in my pantry... 

u.e.

I put them in cornbread...the smoked ones. I add a little latin spice mix and it's pretty good.

Do you know where I might find a recipe for that? If you wouldn't mind, p.m. me or email me?

Thanks for the suggestions! Any others?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I wonder if powdered chocolate mousse might be salvaged by layering in parfaits with real whipped cream and some decent kind of chocolate cake.

I was going to suggest that if it is somewhat palatable, a very popular dessert I've seen fly off tables at potlucks is a parfait of cubed chocolate cake, chocolate pudding (where the mousse might fill in nicely), Cool Whip or whipped cream, and generous layers of toffee bits. Repeat layers as tall as you'd like, ending with whipped cream

Occasionally, the chocolate filling has been spiked with Kaluha, but I bet a little coffee would lend its flavor nicely. :biggrin:

We found some Swanson canned Chicken Broth in our basement. Cans in excellent shape, but when I opened them (they were dated to be used by 2002), they didn't smell bad, but they didn't smell good either. We tossed them.

Found one large can of Swanson Chicken Broth dated 02-2005. ONly about 1 1/2 year out of date. Opened it, and it was about the same non-descript, non-appetizing nothingness in smell. Did try tasting it and it was bland.

Threw it out too.

I go by the adage that god gave me only so many meals in my lifetime and I don't intend on wasting any of them. When in doubt, throw it out!

doc

Baked beans, huh? My old stand-by comes to mind: fry up a bunch of ground beef (I usually use a pound for 4-6 diners) drain some of the fat off, add a bunch of chopped onion, salt and pepper, garlic (optional) and a good big can of baked beans. Remove the piece of pork fat, if it's in there, and stir well. Then add a good big shot of either maple syrup (the real stuff ONLY!) or molasses, and (the secret) more oregano than you ever figured you'd put in anything... and stir again. Cover, let simmer for an hour or so, checking the liquid every so often and add a bit of water if needed, and serve over noodles. Yummy!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

u.e.

If they're smoked oysters, wrap them in bacon, spear with toothpick, bake until the bacon is crisp. Consume with cocktails or beverage of choice.

I love them.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 4 weeks later...

Since threads whiz by so quickly in this forum, I am bumping it back up to consult in tandem with the related thread in General Topics.

Since taking inventory of all stored foods, not just the cupboards, I have used up a bag of Chinese vegetable noodles I froze late last fall along with the oldest thing in the freezer: peanut sauce with coconut.

I have also tried to cook at least one thing with dried beans every week, waiting to replenish supplies until after more jars are empty. Chickpeas are gone. Only a handful of black beans. Already have made lentil salad with Le Puys, however, the old brown lentils just don't seem right for anything but soup. Barley risotto with flageolets, roasted corn and heirloom tomatoes? What to do with two jars of dried tangerine peel?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Since threads whiz by so quickly in this forum, I am bumping it back up to consult in tandem with the related thread in General Topics.

Since taking inventory of all stored foods, not just the cupboards, I have used up a bag of Chinese vegetable noodles I froze late last fall along with the oldest thing in the freezer: peanut sauce with coconut.

I have also tried to cook at least one thing with dried beans every week, waiting to replenish supplies until after more jars are empty.  Chickpeas are gone.  Only a handful of black beans.  Already have made lentil salad with Le Puys, however, the old brown lentils just don't seem right for anything but soup.  Barley risotto with flageolets, roasted corn and heirloom tomatoes?  What to do with two jars of dried tangerine peel?

Possibly re-hydrate it and make a marmalade? I seem to recall buying straight tangerine juice at a Whole Paycheck down here a long time ago...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What to do with two jars of dried tangerine peel?

This is worthy of a thread in its own right. Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:

Add to salad dressings/marinades where an orange citrus flavour would work.

Add to your dried fruit / alcohol mix for fruit cakes (would be a whole lot better than commercial dried mixed peel).

Cook with duck, on your own take on the classic duck a l'orange.

Add to a bottle of vodka/brandy and make a version of tangicello?

Put in the blender with some sugar and whizz it up and use the "orange sugar" to make orange cakes (theres a thread on orange muffins on eGullet).

Now, I have some dried mango in my pantry, so perhaps I should try one of the above with that.

Thinks ...... what would mango cake be like .....?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

• 3 months later...

It is probably very timely too, to revitalise this thread - with so many feasts and festivals coming up!

I have always wondered how you in the USA manage to get rid of the Thanksgiving leftovers in time to start storing up the Christmas stuff!

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

• 5 months later...

I found three cans of different asian mushrooms in the cupboard this weekend. Now what? Pot roast? Stirfry? compost heap?

At our house:

Thanksgiving leftovers become turkey soup, turkey stew and turkey sandwiches, ending with turkey stock. In myu freezer, the turkey stock then sits in happy little cubes getting ever frostier, because I dont much like turkey. :(

Desserts get eaten for breakfast til they are gone. Veggies get mixed with spuds and fried up as a sort of hash in the morning (bubble and squeak with whatever is left over).

Left over appetizers either get eaten the next day, or rot in the fridge til I clean it out for the next feast.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I'm enjoying reading this thread, and I might end up making some contributions of my own. My plans have changed, and now I'm to move out in less than two months, so I need to start using up all my pantry items (specifically freezer items).

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

• 3 weeks later...