• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exotic limes in New York

Pan

In today's New York Times, David Karp discusses some exotic limes that are sold at places like Fairway and Gourmet Garage (link to the story here; you may have to scroll down to the appropriate place). Have you bought any? Also, to put this story in context, I'd be especially interested to hear from old-timers about the changing state of citrus availability in New York. My parents can remember when Florida oranges were an exotic fruit in New York. [Edit: Good story, but both of my parents refuted it today. Apparently, I was probably remembering my father say he used to read stories that referred to the scarcity of oranges in northern climes in the 19th century. My parents report that oranges were already one of the most widely available fruits year-round in New York when they were growing up in the 30s and 40s.]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Another terrific, detailed story by David Karp, one of the best voices in the Times dining section.

I was just in the UWS Fairway and didn't see any alternatives to the regular crappy old limes, so that's what I have in my fridge right now. Then again I wasn't specifically looking for an alternative -- I'd only have bought something special if it had been readily apparent. I'd be interested to know where the good ones are located.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have seen both sweet limes and key limes at the 74th street Fairway in recent weeks.

What I really want to try, though, are some of those Australian finger limes. What do you want to bet we start seeing "lime caviar" on fancy restaurant menus over the next two to three years?

--

I was thinking of the lime caviar as specifically being made from those Australian finger limes, which apparently are filled with tiny caviar-like sacs rather than the usual citrus configuration. While they are still rare and largely unavailable, I can see "lime caviar" from Australian finger limes being used in high-end places. Once they (hopefully) become more ubiquitous, it will turn into a middle-brow cliché.

--

Does anybody have any useful links for more information on exotic citrus varieties and their commercial proponents? I'm facinated by the huge variety beyond the generic lime, lemon and orange every store carries... its is already Seville orange season, so I must go on my usually fruitless hunt for them this year...

What other exotic citrus have people here run across that is worth mention?

How much of the bland generic citrus situation in the markets is a result of import restrictions?

If there was one citrus you'd love to see imported into the US, what would it be?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I was thinking of the lime caviar as specifically being made from those Australian finger limes, which apparently are filled with tiny caviar-like sacs rather than the usual citrus configuration. While they are still rare and largely unavailable, I can see "lime caviar" from Australian finger limes being used in high-end places.

Are those Australian limes sweet?

Michael aka "Pan"

If there was one citrus you'd love to see imported into the US, what would it be?

Limau nipis from Malaysia! Sweet and wonderfully fragrant and soothing! (In a Google search, I wasn't able to find the English name - if any - or Latin name, but it translates as "thin lime.")

Michael aka "Pan"

"... its is already Seville orange season, so I must go on my usually fruitless hunt for them this year... "

Last year after a column in the Times featured them, I found them easily enough at Gourmet Garage ... along with the duck to go with ... mmmmmmm.

This topic is about sources for citrus via mail order. The grower that supplies Fairway with its more exotic citrus is the same Riding C Ranch sa listed here and via Rosengarten's Table. I would be curious to compare the costs, although it is not really an issue for me since I don't have ready access to a Fairway or its ilk.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I must admit I was disappointed too when it became apparent in the article that the finger limes are not currently commercially available. I would love to see and taste what Adria, Boulud and others can do with them :hmmm:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

There's a brief article about finger limes in the current issue of GQ magazine (not available online, alas): the caption is something like "The Best Fruit In the Universe".

Anyway, they're available by mail order for $44 a pound: ouch. Also, they're beginning to be cultivated in the US. The first fruits should be available in 2006 or so...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Manhattan Fruit Exchange, in the Chelsea Market (15th St/9th Ave) is a good place to find exotic or unusual fruits and vegetables, at great prices. Bought some beautiful Meyer lemons there almost as cheaply as they can be bought in California. Haven't seen exotic limes there (yet), or for that matter at my neighborhood Gourmet Garage, but will keep my eyes open for them.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain