• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another probable trip

Marlene

Well, I'll let him know because he wanted me to tell him when I would reschedule for. He is such a pleasant gracious guy. I'll tell him it's an e-Gullet invasion with people from far away lands - Canada and New Jersey. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for the recipe!

Done. Reserved for 5 on Friday, January 30 at 1 P.M. under my name.

The reservation is under "Pan"? :unsure:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yes, but if we're only 4 people, I should call and change the reservation, because it makes a difference whether they're reserving a 4-top or something bigger.

Michael aka "Pan"

But you're probably safer leaving it as a 5-top. You can always revise downward the night before. Slightly more difficult to revise upwards. And who knows, someone else might chime in.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hi Pan. I'd agree with leaving it for 5 right now. We've got two weeks yet, maybe someone else will decide they want to come :smile:

Marlene

All right, here's my itinerary for the moment. I'll be arriving in New York on the Thursday, Jan 29th around 4:30, assuming flights etc are on time. I could be up for drinks or dinner on the Thursday night, we have our lunch planned for Friday, and hubby and I could be up for an outing on Sunday as we don't leave till Monday morning. If any of those times works for people we can set something up!

Marlene

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. I got your directions. I'm a woman, alone in NY, wearing a fur coat. Perhaps I'll take a cab :blink: (This from the woman who could get lost in her own backyard :biggrin: )

Marlene

I'm a woman, alone in NY, wearing a fur coat.

Gee, that only applies to what, 2 million? :laugh: If you need to figure out how to find us at the restaurant, just look at the pie potluck thread; you'll see me in all my fat and fuzzy glory. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I don't live there :biggrin: Yes I've seen your picture Suzanne. I'll find you guys!

Marlene

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. I got your directions. I'm a woman, alone in NY, wearing a fur coat. Perhaps I'll take a cab :blink: (This from the woman who could get lost in her own backyard :biggrin: )

Remember my warning about the usual speed of surface traffic in Midtown around midday vs. walking. If you take a cab, allow at least 30 minutes if you get it right away. In that case, you might get there early - but don't count on it.

By the way, are you thinking it might be dangerous for you to take the subway, or that you might get red paint splashed on you by a PETA member? I wouldn't worry about being robbed in the subway.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.  I got your directions.  I'm a woman, alone in NY, wearing a fur coat.  Perhaps I'll take a cab :blink:  (This from the woman who could get lost in her own backyard :biggrin: )

Remember my warning about the usual speed of surface traffic in Midtown around midday vs. walking. If you take a cab, allow at least 30 minutes if you get it right away. In that case, you might get there early - but don't count on it.

By the way, are you thinking it might be dangerous for you to take the subway, or that you might get red paint splashed on you by a PETA member? I wouldn't worry about being robbed in the subway.

(a) concerned about getting lost. (b) red paint and silver fox do NOT go well together :biggrin:

Marlene

Yay, you're going to Amma! Lucky Marlene! Lucky everyone!

My husband is seriously ticked that I get to go and he has to work :biggrin:

Marlene

Important note when you get to the restaurant-

The entryway is not at all clear. You will see the sign and mat be confused as to where it is. It is not down the stairs; It is actualyl in the apartment building to the right of the window. You walk up the stairs through the door and the entrance is the first white door on the left with no identifying things on it.

Important note when you get to the restaurant-

The entryway is not at all clear. You will see the sign and mat be confused as to where it is. It is not down the stairs; It is actualyl in the apartment building to the right of the window. You walk up the stairs through the door and the entrance is the first white door on the left with no identifying things on it.

Oh great. Just what I need, more confusion :blink::biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene, I was joking about the PETA people.

You won't get lost if you take an E train in the Uptown/Queens direction and get off at Lexington Av.

North of 14 St., all streets are in order (14th, 15th, etc.) with lower numbers further downtown and upper numbers further uptown.

Just remember that Lexington Av. is one block west of 3rd Av. Then there's 2nd Av.

Really, it's not complicated.

But if you take a cab in Midtown in the early afternoon, you may sit in traffic for 20-30 minutes while moving a few inches. I'm serious! Any New Yorkers feel like I'm exaggerating this?

Michael aka "Pan"