• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Smart" Cocktails

beans

Well, the beer low-carb ad campaigns are under full swing, so why not cocktails?

Anyone remember those "Smart" cocktail craze of the circa 1989-90? Well, not quite the same idea, but why not revitalise an old gimmick with a new twist? After all nutiritional labeling is already in the works for the distillers/distributors of liquor.

Here's today's Businesswire release from Bacardi, The Skinny on BACARDI and Diet Cola here.

Note, even former director of the Atkins Center endorses -- "If you want to have a cocktail, it should be a smart one like BACARDI® Superior Rum and diet cola which has no carbs or sugar."

Happy New Year!

Actually, this is very clever of Bacardi's marketing department.

I think it's a little disingenuous as well, though, since one ounce of any distilled (80 proof) liquor contains that same 65 calories and no carbohydrates. Thus, other "smart" cocktails would include anything on the rocks or straight, anything with soda, anything with diet tonic, and martinis (with a small splash only of vermouth, and without olives, of course).

But that's assuming that one drink contains one ounce of liquor, which rarely happens.

Doesn't the body metabolize alcohol into sugar pretty readily?

Also, I have to say that when I have a drink, I really don't think about calories. I don't drink that much, but when I do, I want to enjoy it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Actually, this is very clever of Bacardi's marketing department.

Clever? Nah.

They are looking at the new $$$$$ bottom line A-B scored with aptly positioning their Michelob Ultra product, as well as being observant of diet fads/trends and the consumer group petition for nutritional labelling of alcohol (with DISCUS support).

What I find interesting -- the folks at Bacardi asserted the following, falling into the promotion of healthful, active lifestyle with an ever so slight inference of consumption in moderation.

And just think how effortlessly those 66 calories can be eliminated. Calories can be worked off easily by dancing for 13 minutes, or jogging for 10 minutes or strolling for 28 minutes. Talk about a "smart cocktail!"

Acquaintance and a well respected lady in the biz, Cheryl Charming, recently posted about constructing a webpage to satiate the amount of low carb email questions she has been receiving. :rolleyes:

Doesn't the body metabolize alcohol into sugar pretty readily?

Also, I have to say that when I have a drink, I really don't think about calories. I don't drink that much, but when I do, I want to enjoy it.

I don't consider calories either. Meh.

Re metabolizing alcohol, I'll refer you to an older, early eG post. :wink:

Fad or forever? :wacko:

Edited by beans (log)

It is perhaps a bit ironic that in my current region of residence, the "I'm Smart" program provides education for bar staff on how to monitor customers alcohol intake/sobriety level. They also provides a service for subscribers who can call to have someone drive both them and their car home when they've had a bit to much to drink.

That is an interesting point about the "Smart drinks". I'm guessing that oxygen bars will soon join them in the realm of not-so-great ideas and passe trends,

Surfing for other info, I found DrinksMixer.com.

Here is an index "Glossary" of drink ingredients wherein one can click to see additional information -- in part and relevant herein, nutritional information. While they provide a disclaimer, the info is interesting. Brands are listed, although certainly not comprehensive or exhaustive, as well as cocktails (linking to that recipe) containing that ingredient. Kinda handy.

Curious? Clickety Here

Who knew that Absinthe was 103 calories and 11g of carbos per ounce? :blink: