• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with wine/food pairing

john b

Any suggestions for a main course I could make for New Year's Eve dinner which would be good with this sparkling riesling? I'm not a professional chef but I'm pretty good in the kitchen, so I can handle a recipe with moderate complexity.

It'll be dinner for two (I've given up on restaurants on NYE). I'm thinking crab or lobster (or both???), but I'm not sure...

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

John:

I think it depends how "dry" your Sekt is. If it's really bone chilling dry then something briny/salty is in order. Salt is the chemical opposite of acid, so screechingly acidic/dry wines taste much tamer and fruitier with a salty accompaniment. Think Sancerre and oysters, dry champagne and caviar, etc. A dish with a briny or salty component will compliment better. However, if your Sekt has some sweetness to it, then you'll want something really rich to counteract that like a buttery lobster, foie gras, etc.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You really have a lot of versatility here. Riesling goes with so much. 1999 was a ripe and fat vintage in many parts of Germany, so I would expect a bit more fruit in this sekt than in perhaps some others.

I would do a poached fish over a carrot-ginger puree with some type of light orange sauce or in a court-bouillion.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Seafood. Lobster, Crab, perhaps in an asian preparation. I'm thinking a Salt and Pepper deep fried lobster cantonese or crab. Salty and Spicy is the way to go.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host