• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Cod in DC

Vace on Connecticut Avenue has filets of salt cod, of the slightly thicker, less carboard-y type in their cooler. My local bodega, on Mt. Pleasant St. at Kenyon streets (2 stores down from the 7-11) has the kind that kind that looks like fish roadkill: flat, hard, and the whole fish.

My brandade tastes cruddy no matter which one I use.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Giant carries it, at least in my neighborhood. No idea how good the quality is. Actually I'd love a tutorial on choosing a good salt cod. I had cod cakes made with half salt cod and half fresh once that I really loved and wouldn't mind replicating them at home.

Not quite in the district but in Arlington - Clarendon area. Corner of Washington and Pershing.

This is a portuguese deli. They carry a good variety of salt cod imported from Portugal. Those Portuguese know their salt cod.

Edited by theakston (log)