• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The NYC Saturday Lunch Problem

Fat Guy

What do you all think are the best options for Saturday lunch in NYC? I'm speaking in terms of the top places. Here are a few:

Bouley

Picholine

Union Square Cafe

Any other ideas?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

JUdson Grill (I think)

Oceana (I think)

Soba, Neither of these is open for lunch on Saturday.

Here are some more that are:

db Bistro Moderne

Fleur de Sel

Tocqueville

The River Cafe

Dumonet in the Carlyle

Mark's Restaurant in the Mark Hotel :wub:

La Grenouille

La Cote Basque (but not for long)

Oceana's Web site says weekday lunch only:

http://www.oceanarestaurant.com/about.asp

Ditto for JUdson Grill, it seems:

http://www.judsongrill.com/menus.htm

EMP and Tabla, I think you're right. They don't have Web sites and I'm too lazy to call!

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Oceana's Web site says weekday lunch only:

http://www.oceanarestaurant.com/about.asp

Ditto for JUdson Grill, it seems:

http://www.judsongrill.com/menus.htm

EMP and Tabla, I think you're right. They don't have Web sites and I'm too lazy to call!

FG, Looks as though we cross-posted about Oceana and JUdson Grill.

I know for a fact that Eleven Madison serves what they call "brunch" on Saturday because, when we were there for brunch on a Sunday in October, staff members told us that they had begun offering brunch on Saturday and Saturday in February of this year. Hours: 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. They have two excellent 3-course prix-fixe menus at $25, as well as an a la carte menu. We liked it so much that we went back again the following Sunday. :smile:

As for Tabla, I just checked the listing in TimeOut NY's Eating & Drinking Guide," and it indicates that they do not serve Saturday lunch. However, the listing shows that the Bread Bar is open from noon to 11:30 p.m.

IMNHO, There is no Saturday Lunch - It's a sorry marriage between brunch and lame weekday lunch. I've always avoided non-hotel linked restaurants - Here is why -

Hotel based restaurants tend to be sensitive to the nuances of the hotel guests who may or maynot be jetlagged and so not just serve straight-fare Brunch menu [i could go on and on but I'm lazy to type on some of the issues] Savoy, Firenze does not do Brunch; Monna Lisa Firenze does neither; In NYC, it is such a confused mixed bag that Its like expalinig distributed-redundant-self-healing-optical networks :raz:

In New Orleans Intercontinental they have a very good weekend Buffet Brunch, skirts the issue of Lunch by offering a spread equivalent to what we had at Copacabana Palace, Sol Melia Costa Rica and Singapore ..... [Did I just praise a NA hotel to ones outside ?? :wub: ]

FG: You did say Saturday Lunch, Right ??? Not Brunch :raz:

anil

What do you all think are the best options for Saturday lunch in NYC? I'm speaking in terms of the top places. Here are a few:

Bouley

Picholine

Union Square Cafe

Any other ideas?

Saturday in NYC in a suit and tie - yuck.

How about a Tower of Seafood and a couple of glasses of wine at Balthazar? Then shopping/galleries? Robyn

No place listed here requires a necktie; in fact I'm not sure there are any restaurants left in the city that do. (Are there?) A few places require jackets for men, but I don't believe that's the case at Bouley, Picholine, or Union Sqaure Cafe.

Is Mix open for lunch on Saturdays?

No, weekdays only for lunch. Seven days for dinner.

FG: You did say Saturday Lunch, Right ??? Not Brunch :raz:

Yes, I'm specifically talking about places that serve a real lunch on Saturday, like Bouley does and Lespinasse used to do -- in other words a Saturday lunch that's exactly the same as the Monday-Friday lunch would be at that restaurant.

No place listed here requires a necktie; in fact I'm not sure there are any restaurants left in the city that do. (Are there?) A few places require jackets for men, but I don't believe that's the case at Bouley, Picholine, or Union Sqaure Cafe.

Places may not require a jacket and tie - but when you look at the pictures of the lunch places in the NYT this week - well I think most guys would feel out of place without a jacket and tie (except for media moguls from the west coast - and my husband isn't one of them!). Robyn

Places may not require a jacket and tie - but when you look at the pictures of the lunch places in the NYT this week - well I think most guys would feel out of place without a jacket and tie (except for media moguls from the west coast - and my husband isn't one of them!). Robyn

i don't think most would feel out of place at USC without a tie at lunch. and i don't think they'd feel out of place at lunchtime at Picholine without a tie.

This isn't necessarily true during the week and it is even less so on a weekend.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My recollection of the NY Times article was not only did if feature different restaurants than Fat Guy mentioned, but a diffferent class of restaurant. The power broker lunch places may still require a jacket and tie. You will eat very well at these places, but food is not the primary reason most people eat there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My recollection of the NY Times article was not only did if feature different restaurants than Fat Guy mentioned, but a diffferent class of restaurant. The power broker lunch places may still require a jacket and tie. You will eat very well at these places, but food is not the primary reason most people eat there.

My husband is an old-fashioned WASP. If 25% of the guys in a restaurant are wearing a jacket and tie - he'll feel uncomfortable without one. Robyn

My husband is an old-fashioned WASP. If 25% of the guys in a restaurant are wearing a jacket and tie - he'll feel uncomfortable without one. Robyn

good for him. i don't. and 75% of others at the above mentioned restaurants probably don't

is there a point at which you'll accept that perhaps you're possibly wrong?

I can't remember eating in any restaurants in New York, no matter how cheap, where I wouldn't be welcome in my suit if I'm still dressed for a concert I just played. I don't see a downside to dressing up, if someone feels like doing it for whatever reason. That said, I seldom dress up unless I'm going to a place I consider fancy-shmancy.

Michael aka "Pan"