• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atkins fish cakes

jackal10

"We haven't had fish cakes in a long time"...

How do you make fish cakes without carbs? No potato, no batter, no crumbs for coating. Can't do chinese style, since that is basically held together with cornstarch.

I made them like quenelle. WHizzed some raw fish, egg white and cream for the base, then added flaked cooked fish, sauteed onion, parsley seasoning. Shallow fried.

Taste was great, and they held together fine, but the texture wasn't quite right - slightly grainy, and without the smootheness and unctioness that the potato gives.

I don't want to use Atkins pseudo bread or flour products. Any suggestions?

I can answer this in three words: tod mun pla, Thai fish cakes. Grind whitefish and mix with shallot, chiles, garlic, cilantro, galangal, fish sauce, and perhaps a few long beans or other sort of greenery. Fry. Fall in love all over again.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Jackal,

First, I would direct you here. Its the support newsgroup for low carb, search it and you will find numerous recipes and substitution possibilities. When I was (and still am to a certain extent) doing atkins it was an amazing resource.

Batter is a tough one (Just eggs?), but people often suggested ground pork rinds as a substitute for bread crumbs. There are numerous other low carb suggestions there as well, but I'm in a rush at the moment.

Good luck

Msk

Edited by Msk (log)

Make them the regular carb-y way, and take a carb blocker half an hour before eating.

I've never tried a carb blocker though, so I'm not sure if they work. I've read that they work on starch carbs, but not sugar carbs.

Edited by Ling (log)

• 1 month later...

Jack's initial comment about the texture not being quite right in his first attempt at Atkins fishcakes reminded me of experiments with different ways of making brandade de morue. Some French authors insist that potato appears in classic recipes only as an economy measure. If I recall Raymond Oliver's method, he used no potato but insisted that the skin of the salt cod be incorporated, and that the resulting mixture be very, very thoroughly pureed. I did this with a food processor rather than a mortar and tamis, but let the machine run for a long, long time, until the mixture was very smooth and forced it through a sieve afterward. The result was creamy and unctuous. So for the fishcakes or quenelles, very thorough processing could be important.

If the fishcakes are very lightly breaded, how many crumbs (and hence forbidden carbs) does that contribute? On the "sensible Atkins" regime I am using, which avoids most starchy carbohydrates but does allow the occasional apple or bite of wholemeal bread or potato, I would think that a few grams of breadcrumbs would be OK.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

• 1 month later...