• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ snow

tommy

can i assume most of you are staying home tonite and tomorrow? i had plans tomorrow night, but i'm thinking they're a washout at this point.

tonite we're grilling (indoors) steaks. tomorrow morning will be mushrooms and egg, inside of a cup made of ham, and mimosas.

any plans in the making or breaking?

I just came back from Wegman's, bought a 1/2 leg of lamb, a bunch of produce that caught my eye, and some short ribs. So I'll be set for the weekend...I have all the ingredients to start baking, whcih was my plan anyway... Plus, hubby's wine order for the Holidays just arrived, 9 cases of wine in the laundry room! So we're all set for the weekend..Let it snow!

tomorrow morning will be mushrooms and egg, inside of a cup made of ham

Tommy,

How does one make a cup made of ham? Nancy and I are sitting here guessing all kinds of ways - we want to know YOUR way!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Have fun, you guys. When we lived up north, when most people rushed to the store for bread and milk at the first slight hint of a snow storm, we rushed to the store for steaks and red wine at the first slight hint of a snow storm.

It's a nice memory, but I must say, I like this better. It hit 78 degrees here today. :cool:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Have fun, you guys.  When we lived up north, when most people rushed to the store for bread and milk at the first slight hint of a snow storm, we rushed to the store for steaks and red wine at the first slight hint of a snow storm.

It's a nice memory, but I must say, I like this better.  It hit 78 degrees here today.  :cool:

There is a special place in hell for you nouveau Floridians who taunt those of us shoveling snow in NJ. And there isnt any good beer in hell either. Oh waitaminute, you're already there.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

tomorrow morning will be mushrooms and egg, inside of a cup made of ham

Tommy,

How does one make a cup made of ham? Nancy and I are sitting here guessing all kinds of ways - we want to know YOUR way!

Randi

i saw it on Sara Multon's (sp?) show. i have to admit, it's fun and tasty.

saute sliced mushrooms. add tarragon and a bit of sour cream or creme fraiche.

place a slice of virginia ham in a non-stock muffin pan (well, in the muffin part), forming a "cup". fill with mushrooms.

crack egg on top.

in the oven at i suppose 350 for 8 or 10 minutes, or until the egg sets.

viola.

i serve these (2 a person generally) with a thick slice of toasted country style bread, rubbed with garlic.

it has been a big hit, and is super simple.

susan, i like your style. steaks and red wine tonite. :biggrin:

We were suppose to go to Epernay in Montclair tonight and had to cancel. I am so sad as short ribs were the plat du jour. Tomorrow we have reservations at Fat Kat, a new restaurant, and I don't think we are going to make it either. I was at the supermarket at 8 Am and the place was a zoo. Then went to the library to get some tapes. Watched 6 hours of Six Feet Under this PM.

To make a ham cup I imagine you put a slice of ham into a muffin tin and cook it until it is stiff! :rolleyes:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Badly timed storm.

My refrigerator died on Thanksgiving, and PC Richard was supposed to deliver tomorrow. I'm at the top of a long, steep hill in W Milford that I shovel myself, so we're going to wait a week. (I'm only there weekends so I'm not going to starve or become a permanent restaurant habitue)

Had a school event for my son in Metuchen tonite that was cancelled. So, made baked shrimp w/ pasta tossed with evoo and garlic after we snow blowed our driveway out. Was at local Shop-Rite at about 9 am today, it was nuts.

Tomorrow is my daughter's 13th Birthday. We were going to have about 8 girls over for a manicure party and lunch at Ruby Tuesday. The girls that don't live close by have already cancelled. It will be a pasta night here for the girls that can come. The wine will come out for hubby and me :raz:. My son will gladly shovel out so he can leave while the 13 year old girls are here.

Was the snow so much worse in Central/Northern NJ than it was in Philadelphia? We had some cancellations too, but not so many as to create a furor.

I have some delicious leftovers form Dmitri's waiting for me at home tonight - Tilapia in a Lemon-White Wine sauce, and some grilled octopus. I also have a hot date with my computer and a new/updated resume :sad: Time to start trawling with the WIDE nets... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Of course on video. What other choices are there? Anyway--I made a boring turkey breast for dinner.

dvd

soooo nice to know that you are using your local library.

since i work thursday nights you would not believe the volume of dvd and video rental we do - my only question is : if it is a heavy snow and you lose power how do you watch them? borrow some books!!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Because my DH accommodated me twice this week -- by eating microwave stuff in his office, ---tonight I treated him with Lobster Stew. (made from lobster tails)

Wasn't bad. A good night for soup.

Forget the stores today!! I went out, but to get birdseed at Plocks. More important today, than bread and milk!

The snow's supposed to start here sometime tomorrow and continue through Sunday with an accumulation of 8"-16" here on the coast of Maine with winds of 15-25 gusting to 45. It's been cold (6F this morning) so the snow drifts should be interesting.

To prepare, this evening I went out and bought sufficient beer to get me through the weekend. Got plenty of food of all kinds in the freezer, as well as lots of late veggies from the garden in the fridge and root crops in cold storage. Root crops include onions, shallots, potatoes, and carrots. I get all this from a good friend and was down in his cellar last week picking out some stuff. Five different kinds of potatoes he grew, two of carrots, and two of onions. The striking thing in his cellar, as we were looking around by flashlight, (he doesn't have electricity) were the amount of shallots. A large box of them - a small fortune in shallots - and better than anything that you can find in the store.

So, let it blow, let it snow. I'll be digging it from the comfort of a well stocked house. (On the other hand, since I made sure I have more than enough beer, the storm will probably blow out to sea before it gets here.) :biggrin:

Really wanted to go out and catch The Last Samurai tonight but blizzard intervened. Bad snow! Bad snow! Really wonder what Tom Cruise was able to learn in order to do his scenes credibly. He apparently does some double sword work in the movie that I'd like to see.

So staying in... Cooked some nice gambas al ajillo and sesame ginger scallops with toasted almond pilaf.

Hope to get out and cavort tomorrow sometime...

Playing with my sword and nunchuckus tonight

Edited by dumpling (log)

whew--it's cold out there. and windy. and there's a lotta snow. but it sure looks pretty. i wasn't ready for this storm, but then, i guess i never am. and it gives me an excuse to bail out of the office nice and early and catch up on egullet, so who am i to complain? :smile:

It snowed here-once.

They called school for about an inch and a half of snow that didn't even stick. We call it the "Great Blizzard of 91". :laugh:

Hope everyone has a warm and dry weekend

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Hey Susan.. I am from Boca Raton, FL - but working here in NJ. My friends were teasing me all day today.

Left work @ 11:00 AM in Piscataway and headed back home to Verona. As you came north the snow was less and less. Route 280 was a nightmere.

I actually BBQ'd some hamburgers and hot dogs tonight on the grill out back. My father took a picture of me out there.

Sunday we have reservations for a birthday dinner at the Mt. Fuji on top of the hill in NY (former Motel on the moutain). It's near Tuxedo, but not sure if that's what they call it over there off the Thruway. We shall see what Sunday looks like.

It snowed here-once.

We lived in Louisiana when I was a kid, from like '61 – '64. It snowed once back then. Me and the sibs all had pneumonia at the time, but my parents – diehard Yankees – let us go out and play in it anyway.

I wish that some of you could experience a good storm like this here in Vermont (or anywhere that snow is a regular thing). I'm not trying to be smug when I say that we're much better equipped to deal with snow, and it takes a monster of a storm to really slow things down. We just plan around it: make sure the cars are gassed up for maximum ballast, allow an extra full or half hour (depending on quantity) for snow removal in the morning so as to still get where you're going on time. I suppose, though, that it takes a certain kind of individual to want to live here.

No matter.

The storm's just starting to get cranked up here, but predictions are for as much as a foot and a half by tomorrow morning. And how will I spend my snowy Saturday? I'm going to make a quick trip to a local dairy farm and draw off 3 gallons of raw milk with which to make a holiday batch of dulce de leche. Once that reaches its simmering phase, I'm going to busy myself braising some short ribs for dinner. Then I can leave everything humming on the stove, strap on my snowshoes, and go galavanting in the woods with my big white dog.

Sometimes on clear moonlit nights, we'll go snowshoeing after dinner. Magic.

Edited to add: The lower population density accounts for a lot, too. Much easier to navigate when you're the only car on the road. All that changes, though, when the out-of-towners crowd in for ski weekends and holidays. Many SUV drivers seem to think that the size of their vehicles and 4WD make them invincible, and so keep up their 60-mph velocity. But guess who you always see being dragged out of a snowbank by a wrecker? [hint]It's not the 80-yr. old Vermonter in his Crown Vic with baloney skins for tires.[/hint]

Edited by GG Mora (log)

Hey New Jersey to Florida, what a contrast! How often do you get back home to thaw out?

Nick, that's a way to prep for a snow storm, and the shallots sound wonderful. I've never had homegrown. Good luck and enjoy, beer and all.

Well in honor of all you poor souls, we did the bread and milk thing last night (had steak and red wine for dinner). Actually, the first storm of the season was always my favorite. I loved being snowed in, so long as we didn't lose electricity. And often our steaks were grilled outdoors. I worked in a school for a while and probably loved snow days more than the kids.

But I still like this better. :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.