• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheap lunch eats? center city phila

arice

i'm finally working in center city (15th and market), cool! the lunch options in the area are vast and i'm hoping for some advice on places in the area that are on the inexpensive side... my definition would be $6.50 or less.

i spent $10 on day 1 at the samson kabob house, very tasty, but too pricey for an everyday lunch. i found the king of falafel truck today and had a nice falafel for $3.50. of course, i'll be attempting to bring lunch a few days a week too. so, where can i go in the area for tasty options... sandwiches, salads, sushi, burritos, etc.

thanks,

arice

i'm finally working in center city (15th and market), cool! the lunch options in the area are vast and i'm hoping for some advice on places in the area that are on the inexpensive side... my definition would be $6.50 or less.

i spent $10 on day 1 at the samson kabob house, very tasty, but too pricey for an everyday lunch. i found the king of falafel truck today and had a nice falafel for $3.50. of course, i'll be attempting to bring lunch a few days a week too. so, where can i go in the area for tasty options... sandwiches, salads, sushi, burritos, etc.

thanks,

arice

My office is at 1500 Walnut so I'm in the same 'hood hunting for lunch as you are. My usual "pinch" places for lunch are China Pagoda at 15th & Sansom (Curry vegetables with Coconut is YUMMY), Qdoba "Mexican" at 15th & Walnut, Joe's Pizza on 16th below Sansom, the Food Court at the Bellevue Hotel at Broad & Walnut and Misora Japanese at 15th & Chestnut. Misora is a particularly good deal because about $6.50 with tax gets you a bento box with Salmon Teryaki, rice (I ask for brown), a small Miso soup, a salad and a few small sides like California rolls, cold cellophane noodles, a few steamed edamame pods, etc. It's a bargain for the amount of food you get.

Thanks for reminding me about the Felafel truck! If it weren't as cold as a witch's left tit outside today I'd probably stroll over there myself now that the jones has been awakened. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If it weren't as cold as a witch's left tit outside today I'd probably stroll over there myself now that the jones has been awakened.  :biggrin:

Er, how cold IS a witch's tit? Just asking.

Lunch is also plentiful and cheap at both McGillin's Old Ale House on tiny Drury Lane, between Juniper and 13th, above Sansom St. , and at Ludwig's Garten, where they still do a $6.95 lunch buffet that is just killer good. Ditto to the Bellevue Food Court, if only for the tortas at 12th St Cantina and the hoagies at Rocco's.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Er, how cold IS a witch's tit? Just asking.

Just step outside and it'll be painfully clear... :laugh:

Minar Palace is one I forgot. Excellent choice and their curries can't be beat.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

those are all excelent suggestions! i love minar palace and mcgillian's. i also like the japanese fast food in liberty place (16th and chestnut) called teriyaki boy. they have a small shrimp tempura (like 3 shrimp and 5 veggies) that comes with miso soup and a drink for $5. i add a green salad with ginger dressing for $1 (i dump the dressing in the plastic salad container and shake vigorously to coat). it's pretty similar to other places' prices but the newly renovated dining room area is a huge plus. all the beautiful glass windows overlooking the street, awesome. during peak hours itis crowded but a little early or late and you'll definetly get a window seat. :biggrin:

Definitely try the Japanese place catty corner to H&M--the name escapes me at the moment--can anyone help? It's not any of the places mentioned, but I think the sushi there, and the soba, is way better than most of the more upscale places I've been in Philly.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Definitely try the Japanese place catty corner to H&M--the name escapes me at the moment--can anyone help? It's not any of the places mentioned, but I think the sushi there, and the soba, is way better than most of the more upscale places I've been in Philly.

catty corner to HM is liberty place.

i think you are referring to Misora,

which is like one or 2 stores down from the Wendy's at 15th and Chesnut,

b/c I can't think of another Japanese place right there.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

He might be referring to the place at 17th & Chestnut, across from Daffy's. Tokyo Lunchbox? Something like that. I've never eaten there, but have heard good things about it.

i was thinking about that, but i was thinking closer.

yea, tokyo lunchbox is pretty good too.

and it is across from daffy's,

which is where he mighta been thinking of.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yes, I was thinking of Tokyo Lunchbox. It really is very good, and worth the extra 2 block walk or whatever.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes