• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary Dinner

8Track

Ok, I realize that I am late getting started, but where should I go with my wife for dinner on our 6th wedding anniversary, which is Saturday night? She said she'd like something romantic, and she tends to be on the chic side, although traditional is ok too.

I tried Maestro, but they are booked.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

To carry on my own conversation here, what do people think of Fahrenheit? David Greggory?

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

To carry on my own conversation here, what do people think of Fahrenheit?  David Greggory?

The latter over the former by a wide margin.

But these are not Maestro-league places. What about Citronelle or Cafe 15?

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Degrees (the bar that goes with Fahrenheit) would be lovely for a pre- or post-dinner cocktail, but Fahrenheit has been almost universally panned.

Degrees has a swank atmosphere, creative (and expensive) cocktails and knowledgeable bartenders. I like it a lot for special occasions or on someone else's dime!

You can see if Firefly has room - yum.

Thanks for the plug, but I always think we're too loud for anniversaries.

1789 (beautiful room, moreso during the holidays)

Taberna de Alabardeo

Marcel's

Of course Palena or Nectar

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Been to Nectar and Marcel's numerous times. 1789 and Citronelle are booked alas. Been to Cafe 15 and Palena and liked them, although wanted to try something new.

Another thought -- is there anything in Northern VA that would fit the bill? 2941 only has a table at 5:45.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Another thought -- is there anything in Northern VA that would fit the bill?  2941 only has a table at 5:45.

Depending on how far out you want to go in NoVA, Tuscarora Mill in Leesburg might work. It's good space for a quiet dinner, and I've never had anything bad there, although it's not as snazzy as 2941.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

You know, I actually did calendar this date last year and dutifully remembered it -- unfortunately, today, which is too late to get into some of the places I'd really like to go!

How about Colvin Run Tavern? Appropriate for this sort of thing?

Edited by 8Track (log)

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

I haven't been, but someone I work with just told me that La Perla was where they went for an anniversary last week...and that were realllly pleased with everything.

Seems like anniversary ambiance (at least from the outside). Has anyone been there?

Why not go to Ceiba before it's too late?

Review is out this weekend, I trust it'll be positive. It is a nice space, kind of hip, food is good.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

I would do Ceiba, but we were just there last week!

By the way, I did like it very much.

(Sorry to be difficult :wink: )

Edited by 8Track (log)

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Review is out this weekend, I trust it'll be positive. It is a nice space, kind of hip, food is good.

But wouldn't they be booked anyway? Is it loud in there, John?

But wouldn't they be booked anyway? Is it loud in there, John?

Probably won't be crazy until next week. It takes a few days for the beatings to commence.

I don't think it's that loud. High ceilings, tables are far enough apart.

On second thought, nothing sez romance like the BDC.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

I would do Ceiba, but we were just there last week!

By the way, I did like it very much.

(Sorry to be difficult :wink: )

Since you've been to a lot of these - What about going someplace nice that you have already been to - maybe on a previous anniversary?

I know this is difficult for us - my wife is always disappointed when we find a restaurant we like because she knows I won't go back for a long time, regardless of how good it was, so we can try new places.

Bill Russell

I know this is difficult for us - my wife is always disappointed when we find a restaurant we like because she knows I won't go back for a long time, regardless of how good it was, so we can try new places.

You're right. And I bit the bullet and made a reservation at Mendocino Grille, to which we haven't been in several years. We used to be regulars there and even had our rehearsal dinner there. About three months later, we went back, the staff had entirely changed, we were were treated like strangers and the food had taken a big downturn. We never went back.

Fortunately, I have read (maybe here) that the place has made a comeback. I thought it would be a nice trip down memory lane.

Edited by 8Track (log)

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

I’m thrilled you are giving Mendocino another shot. :biggrin:

The restaurants our eGullet peers listed above are excellent suggestions (many are personal favorites) so to have you choose us for your most special occasion means a lot.

And I'm looking forward to showing off the new Mendocino.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

I wanted to pose a belated thank you to Jared and the entire crew at Mendocino. They really went out of their way to make our night really special, starting with the specially printed menus saying "Happy 6th Anniversary," down to the champagne.

We had the pleasure of meeting Chef Trautman, who presented a lovely amuse bouche of proscuitto wrapped, smoked fig, with a warm and mild cheese. Lovely.

We followed up with the broiled Blue Point oysters, sort of a modern take on the classic Rockefeller. Terrific.

My wife went meat and potatoes all the way, having the sculptural caesar sald and NY Strip on twice baked potato. First class, and the steak, which I tried, was absolutely tender and perfectly cooked.

For me, I went the more girlie route, having the pumkin soup with tea smoked duck garnish and a dab of mascarpone(?). A lovely smoky finish on a great winter soup. Perfect for that wintry evening.

I had papardelle with smoked trout, sundried tomatoes and flageolets (had a hankering for those, don't ask me why) and was not disappointed. The fish was mild and sweet, and the pasta just right. A nice mediterranean feel.

We split a chocolate brownie and house made ice cream, with a Graham's 20 year old tawny.

Everything was just great. I am so happy that the restaurant is doing well (it was full, despite the weather). My wife definitely wants to bring back ladies wine night there, a long lost tradition that needs revising.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)