• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carl's Steaks

Mister_Cutlets

It may surprise you to learn that Mr. Cutlets, despite his native pretensions, is actually from Atlantic City, NJ, a city with little to brag about gastronomically. The one subject in which all our citizens are conversant, though, is cheesesteaks. As a cultural colony of Philadelphia, these sandwiches are hard-wired into Atlantic City foodways. Many believe that AC's are superior to their originals in Philadelphia. But I now say that Carl's beats them all at their own game.

I have a lot more to say on this subject, but cheesesteaks are long and life is short. I may have to come back tomorrow and post the full review. But suffice it to say here that Carl's at a busy hour is an efficient machine of classical cheesesteak production, and offers both the traditional provolone and its sanctioned alternative, disgusting philly-style cheese whiz. I went for American cheese, a heterodoxy adopted late in life, but firmly adhered to, and my sandwich was intensely packed with chopped, ultra-flavorful meat, onions, and mushrooms, all half sauteed and half simmered in a bath of grill grease and frothing onion

juice. Bits were browned here and there, the bread stood up to the grease without disintergrating, and the proportions were all dead-on. Carl's is crowded and hot, and there's no place to sit other than one or two tables in the back, but if you have any interest in this sandwich at all you had better stop by when you have the chance. They don't hew to the "half" and "whole" terminology of the Delaware Valley, since they don't use the full sub rolls but rather short rolls of comparable character and moistness. One is enough even for a hungry full-grown man.

signed,

Mr. Cutlets

Carl's Steaks

507 Third Avenue (34th)

New York, NY 10016

Phone: (212) 696-5336

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Yeah, but where can you find a competent roast pork sandwich in NYC?

I'll have to get to Carl's. But first I want to hear more about these "short rolls of comparable character and moistness". I like a really crusty roll with my cheesey -- are these rolls doughy?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Carl's is the real deal - Passyunk (the street in Philly that's home to the cheesesteak) in Manhattan - Pats and Genos and Jims aren't any better. Good job.

And as I said in my POP burger post - these burgers are a terrific product too. Can't believe that none of the eGulletteers/burger club folk haven't been or commented yet - amazing!

I'll have to get to Carl's. But first I want to hear more about these "short rolls of comparable character and moistness". I like a really crusty roll with my cheesey -- are these rolls doughy?

I've been to Carl's and, while I wouldn't call the rolls "doughy," they are definitely not crusty.

It was the first time I have ever had a cheesteak sandwich, :shock: so I'll take Mr. Cutlets' word that Carl's' version "beats them all at their own game." All I can say is that I thought it was one of the most delicious sandwiches I have ever eaten. :wub: (We were lucky and were able to snag one of the two tables in the back. :smile: )

All I can say is that I thought it was one of the most delicious sandwiches I have ever eaten.

Even from a cheesesteak neophyte this is great praise. :smile: But the roll scares me.

I wonder if it holds a candle to the non-Passayunk cheesesteak, like John's, the deserved title-holder of Best Cheesesteak in Philly and reason for my pork comment above.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

All I can say is that I thought it was one of the most delicious sandwiches I have ever eaten.

Even from a cheesesteak neophyte this is great praise. :smile: But the roll scares me.

Maybe this will help. When Carl's was written about in NY Magazine, which is where I first learned about it, he explained that he had spent 10 years studying cheesesteaks -- different meats and rolls. This is what he said about the latter: "It's all about the roll. It's got to be soft enough to soak up the grease, but with a little crunch." I think he knows how to describe his own product better than I can. :biggrin:

Aha! As long as neglect isn't to blame. I still think I'd like a very crusty roll, but I have not been studying cheese steaks for ten years...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Maybe this will help. When Carl's was written about in NY Magazine, which is where I first learned about it, he explained that he had spent 10 years studying cheesesteaks -- different meats and rolls. This is what he said about the latter: "It's all about the roll. It's got to be soft enough to soak up the grease, but with a little crunch." I think he knows how to describe his own product better than I can. :biggrin:

'tis true. it is about the roll.

and his description is accurate. nice if they keep the bread warm too.

not hot, just warm. like on top of the pilot light warm. just soft enough that

if the bread is baked well, the crustiness will come out.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've tried to restrain from commenting on this thread, but NY Cheesesteaks as good as Philly??? :shock: Them's fightin' words!249.gif

Cheesesteaks simply do not travel well. Neither does NY pizza or bagels. Yes - it's about the rolls, but it's about the water that makes the dough at a more fundamental level. I'm certain this is an excellent version, but I'll have to try one myself before I'll actually believe it. And I'd definitely NOT say this out loud on line at either of the places on Passyunk Avenue. That'd definitely get one into a whole mess of trouble!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It may surprise you to learn that Mr. Cutlets, despite his native pretensions, is actually from Atlantic City, NJ, a city with little to brag about gastronomically.  The one subject in which all our citizens are conversant, though, is cheesesteaks.  As a cultural colony of Philadelphia, these sandwiches are hard-wired into Atlantic City foodways.  Many believe that AC's are superior to their originals in Philadelphia.  But I now say that Carl's beats them all at their own game.

I have a lot more to say on this subject, but cheesesteaks are long and life is short.  I may have to come back tomorrow and post the full review.  But suffice it to say here that Carl's at a busy hour is an efficient machine of classical cheesesteak production, and offers both the traditional provolone and its sanctioned alternative, disgusting philly-style cheese whiz.  I went for American cheese, a heterodoxy adopted late in life, but firmly adhered to, and my sandwich was intensely packed with chopped, ultra-flavorful meat, onions, and mushrooms, all half sauteed and half simmered in a bath of grill grease and frothing onion

juice.  Bits were browned here and there, the bread stood up to the grease without disintergrating, and the proportions were all dead-on.  Carl's is crowded and hot, and there's no place to sit other than one or two tables in the back, but if you have any interest in this sandwich at all you had better stop by when you have the chance.  They don't hew to the "half" and "whole" terminology of the Delaware Valley, since they don't use the full sub rolls but rather short rolls of comparable character and moistness.  One is enough even for a hungry full-grown man. 

signed,

Mr. Cutlets

Carl's Steaks  

507 Third Avenue (34th)

New York, NY 10016

Typical New Yorker - believing, wishing, blustering that his adopted city has the best of everything. :raz:

"Whole" and "Half" are not a Philly thing but an Atlantic City, White House Subs thing.

White House's steaks are indeed better than Geno's or Pat's, or even Jim's. But these are the tourist cheesesteak spots. Sure, lots of locals too. But it's where the tourists and the cameras from Monday Night football always end up.

Pat's, Geno's and Jim's cheesesteaks are fine and representative of what most cheesesteaks are. But they are not Philadelphia's finest. They are the Ford Pick-up of cheesesteaks. Solid, dependable and they'll get you where you want to go - a full stomach. You can head back to Podunk or New York and brag, "I had me one of them Philly cheesesteaks."

Next time you deign to visit Philadelphia let me know. I'll treat you to Philadelphia's best cheesesteak, way off the tourist path. Way off. A place called Steve's, Prince of Steaks in Philadelphia's vast and mysterious Northeast. Then we'll talk about the best cheesesteak.

I searched out Carl's Menu. My suspicions confirmed. The heading at the top of the menu. "Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches." The places that serve cheesesteaks, real cheesesteaks, don't say "Philly Cheesesteak," not even "Cheesesteak," just "Steak." And any place hoping to have their cheesesteaks taken seriously would never, ever, end the heading with "Sandwich." A "Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich." Geez!

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Yeah Holly! You tell 'em! We forum hosts are duty bound to defend our fair city and our native cuisine! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It may surprise you to learn that Mr. Cutlets, despite his native pretensions, is actually from Atlantic City, NJ, a city with little to brag about gastronomically. The one subject in which all our citizens are conversant, though, is cheesesteaks. As a cultural colony of Philadelphia, these sandwiches are hard-wired into Atlantic City foodways. Many believe that AC's are superior to their originals in Philadelphia. But I now say that Carl's beats them all at their own game.

I have a lot more to say on this subject, but cheesesteaks are long and life is short. I may have to come back tomorrow and post the full review. But suffice it to say here that Carl's at a busy hour is an efficient machine of classical cheesesteak production, and offers both the traditional provolone and its sanctioned alternative, disgusting philly-style cheese whiz. I went for American cheese, a heterodoxy adopted late in life, but firmly adhered to, and my sandwich was intensely packed with chopped, ultra-flavorful meat, onions, and mushrooms, all half sauteed and half simmered in a bath of grill grease and frothing onion

juice. Bits were browned here and there, the bread stood up to the grease without disintergrating, and the proportions were all dead-on. Carl's is crowded and hot, and there's no place to sit other than one or two tables in the back, but if you have any interest in this sandwich at all you had better stop by when you have the chance. They don't hew to the "half" and "whole" terminology of the Delaware Valley, since they don't use the full sub rolls but rather short rolls of comparable character and moistness. One is enough even for a hungry full-grown man.

signed,

Mr. Cutlets

Carl's Steaks

507 Third Avenue (34th)

New York, NY 10016

I have had a Carl's "cheesesteak", after reading about it in New York magazine, and although the fellow has Philly connections, he misses with the roll, and some of the meat I sampled was a bit grisly. Yech.

Mr. C, until you have carefully and dutifully enjoyed steaks from John's Roast Pork, in deep South Philly, the aforementioned Steve's Prince of Steaks, Frusco's (another GEM of both hoagie and steak excellence, Holly, you've really got to to visit them, 7000 block of Frankford Ave.), Chink's in NE Philly, Tony Luke's in deep South Philly, and Dallesandro's in the Roxborough section of town, you cannot compare Carl's to the finest of Philadelphia. Carl's doesn't even touch Jim's Steaks, which I no longer care for, and is far from even as good as a White House version, let alone the above mentioned icons of steakdom.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Mr. Cutlets,

until you have carefully and dutifully enjoyed steaks from John's Roast Pork, in deep South Philly, the aforementioned Steve's Prince of Steaks, Frusco's (another GEM of both hoagie and steak excellence, Holly, you've really got to to visit them, 7000 block of Frankford Ave.), Chink's in NE Philly, Tony Luke's in deep South Philly, and Dallesandro's in the Roxborough section of town, you cannot compare Carl's to the finest of Philadelphia.

Look what you've started! :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I can appreciate the vehemence of our Philly friends. I myself know the fury and loathing that arise when some shoobie presumes to lecture me about pastrami sandwiches or other local specialties. And it is true that I haven't eaten at Fruscos and Dellasandro's, but I've eaten at the other places, and they aren't any better than Carl's. But they aren't worse, either -- I just think that, until someone comes along and figures out a way to improve it, there is a ceiling for how good a cheesesteak can be. I am very open-minded on the subject. I don't insist on the meat being rolled, rather than sliced, nor do I fetishize the wonderful rolls we have in Atlantic City, so much superior to the Philly "hewgie" rolls. I even converted to American cheese from provalone late in life. But I don't see what makes Steve's (or George's, or any of the other philly steak temples) that great. Forget the menus! I want to see pictures of the cheesesteaks!

signed,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Forget the menus! I want to see pictures of the cheesesteaks!

signed,

Mr. Cutlets

Holly - I believe you're at bat... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I will assemble some pics this evening, though I took Mr. Cutlets to be more than an arm chair voyeur when it comes to things, meat. Ya can't taste the picture and taste, not looks, is what a steak sandwich is all about.

Yo, Cutlets, I can't tell from your post - have you had Steve's Prince of Steaks' cheesesteak or not?

And it is true that I haven't eaten at Fruscos and Dellasandro's, but I've eaten at the other places, and they aren't any better than Carl's. But they aren't worse, either

Ya blinked !!! Not what you said in the topic heading. :laugh:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

And it is true that I haven't eaten at Fruscos and Dellasandro's, but I've eaten at the other places, and they aren't any better than Carl's.  But they aren't worse, either -- I just think that, until someone comes along and figures out a way to improve it, there is a ceiling for how good a cheesesteak can be.  I am very open-minded on the subject.  I don't insist on the meat being rolled, rather than sliced, nor do I fetishize the wonderful rolls we have in Atlantic City, so much superior to the Philly "hewgie" rolls.  I even converted to American cheese from provalone late in life.  But I don't see what makes Steve's (or George's, or any of the other philly steak temples) that great.  Forget the menus!  I want to see pictures of the cheesesteaks!

signed,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr. C, ther are a LOT of places you haven't tried, Frusco's and Dalessandro's only two glaring omissions. If you have tried Steve's, John's, Chink's and Tony Luke's, then you have sampled four of the very best versions of the cheesesteak, but if you havent, then your comparison with Carl's is somewhat without merit. I think there is a WIDE disaprity between Philly steaks, and several styles I haven't even mentioned (Mama's in Bala Cynwyd comes to mind, molten madness on an actual loaf of bread!), but to give Carl's its due without fully considering the variety of cheesesteaks available in Philly, then there is something missing.

I had a Carl's about 2 weeks ago now, and I have eaten the aforementioned steaks, including the White House's, which I greatly admire (it IS the bread), for the better part of 28 years in Philly, and I dont think Carl's would crack the top ten steaks in town.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Unfortunately, I've never had an authentic Philly cheesesteak, or even one from the White House. I do recall having one some years back at Wildwood that the locals raved about. It was very good, but then again I have nothing to compare it to except for the pizzeria and subshop versions here in North Jersey, which I'm sure don't measure up to what you get in Philly.

I was wondering if anyone has had a cheesesteak from a place called Philadelphia Grille in Elizabeth on Galloping Hill Rd. and Westfield ave. The owner supposedly worked at Pat's or has ties to them somehow. Someone on another forum mentioned that they make a steak comparable to Pat's. Anyone have an opinion on this place?

Also, for Holly or Rich, a few questions. What do you think of Gaetano's? From what I've heard, they have a few locations in South Jersey and many devotees who consider them the standard. Also another place (I think the name is Chick's) in Jersey that was picked as the best by a Philly newspaper. Finally, as a neophyte, do you think I would be better off having my first Philly Steak at Pat's or Geno's and working my way up, or should I jump right in to one of the better places like Steve's or Dalessandro's?

Holly, I know you don't like it when restaurants use "Philly style cheesesteak" or something similar in their name, but don't you think it might be useful in describing their product in a non cheesesteak area like North Jersey?

John the hot dog guy

Holly, I know you don't like it when restaurants use "Philly style cheesesteak" or something similar in their name, but don't you think it might be useful in describing their product in a non cheesesteak area like North Jersey?

in all honesty, why would it be necessary to include that when describing it?

is New York Jewish pastrami sandwich or something similar necessary in that situation?

off the top of my head, the only instance I can think of the specific area being included like that is Buffalo wings, and even there, I don't know how necessary/useful that is, with "hot wings" being increasingly used.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Unfortunately, I've never had an authentic Philly cheesesteak, or even one from the White House. I do recall having one some years back at Wildwood that the locals raved about. It was very good, but then again I have nothing to compare it to except for the pizzeria and subshop versions here in North Jersey, which I'm sure don't measure up to what you get in Philly.

I was wondering if anyone has had a cheesesteak from a place called Philadelphia Grille in Elizabeth on Galloping Hill Rd. and Westfield ave. The owner supposedly worked at Pat's or has ties to them somehow. Someone on another forum mentioned that they make a steak comparable to Pat's. Anyone have an opinion on this place?

Also, for Holly or Rich, a few questions. What do you think of Gaetano's? From what I've heard, they have a few locations in South Jersey and many devotees who consider them the standard. Also another place (I think the name is Chick's)  in Jersey that was picked as the best by a Philly newspaper. Finally, as a neophyte, do you think I would be better off having my first Philly Steak at Pat's or Geno's and working my way up, or should I jump right in to one of the better places like Steve's or Dalessandro's?

It would be unfair for you to test cheesesteaks and not visit Pat's and Geno's first (they are across the street from one another), and then sample others after that; not because they are superior, but because they are part of the history (well, at least Pat's) and cache of the cheesesteak. Just my opinion.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

Just went today, figured with the cold weather, a cheesesteak would hit the spot. While it was not bad, I would never go back for a reason other than the food.

Apparently their delivery orders are more important than the customers in the store. I got their at 11 on the dot and had to wait close to half an hour for 1 cheesesteak, while they made dozens in front of me and the 2 other guys that were waiting. Each of us who as far as I could see where only ordering 1 steak each. You would think we would move to the head of the line.

All I can say is it left a bad feeling. Normally I don't complain about this kind of thing, but it was annoying to watch, one after the other being made, wondering when they would get one of us. If I'd known that ahead of time, I probably would have walked out.