• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranberry sauce

KateW

I heard somewhere that you can mix a bit of horseradish with cranberry sauce.  (I'm not making this up.)  I'd say, add a smidge for that mysterious hint of flavor.

Soba

There is a recipe for a cranberry sauce with horseradish in the Joy of Cooking.

I only know because I was looking through almost all of my cookbooks yesterday for something to do with my box of fresh cranberries.

The recipes are all over the place with anywhere from 1 tablespoon of sugar to 2 cups for 1 lb of cranberries. Ginger, oranges, nuts and maple syrup seem to be the most common additions. They are baked on a stove, in the oven and sometimes not baked at all just whizzed in a food processor (usually with a whole orange chopped up).

Since Thanksgiving isn't celebrated in Japan (duh!) I am doing sort of a Thanksgiving inspired meal tonight , the main being sauteed chicken breasts with a cranberry salsa. The salsa includes red onion, orange, jalapeno and cilantro.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I make the Cranberry-Dried Cherry compote published in Bon Appetit several years ago. Dried cherries, whole fresh cranberries, ground cloves, cherry cider, and my addition of a squeeze of lemon juice and some grated lemon peel. It sets up well and tastes delicious.

My mom always made some variant of Cranberry Orange Relish.

I like the canned stuff, but only sliced onto turkey sandwiches.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've used this recipe for the last couple of years. I vary it a bit. Last year I used port instead of sherry and this year I put some whiskey in. It's delicious!

http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe5148.htm

I certainly leave the berries whole. I like the texture. I've made the fresh (uncooked) cranberry salad before which is basically finely chopped cranberries, whole oranges, apples with some big walnut pieces thrown in. Of course sugar and/ or honey too. Hmmmm that souns nice. Maybe I'll have to go make that now! (But I can only get frozen cranberries in Oz.)

Lori

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I make the Cranberry-Dried Cherry compote published in Bon Appetit several years ago. Dried cherries, whole fresh cranberries, ground cloves, cherry cider, and my addition of a squeeze of lemon juice and some grated lemon peel. It sets up well and tastes delicious.

After you mentioned this compote on the Thanksgiving menu thread, I went searching for recipes calling for dried cherries (I had a lot in my pantry). Anyway, this is the recipe I ended up making. I couldn't find cherry cider, so I used a mixture of apple cider and pomagranate-mango juice. It was out of this world. Thanks for the inspiration.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I make the Cranberry-Dried Cherry compote published in Bon Appetit several years ago.  Dried cherries, whole fresh cranberries, ground cloves, cherry cider, and my addition of a squeeze of lemon juice and some grated lemon peel.  It sets up well and tastes delicious.

After you mentioned this compote on the Thanksgiving menu thread, I went searching for recipes calling for dried cherries (I had a lot in my pantry). Anyway, this is the recipe I ended up making. I couldn't find cherry cider, so I used a mixture of apple cider and pomagranate-mango juice. It was out of this world. Thanks for the inspiration.

You're welcome!

This year Scott bought the cherries and came home with sweet instead of tart (despite my explicit instructions :hmmm: ), so instead of cherry cider I used a tart cherry juice. It turned out ok. It's the addition of cloves that makes it so good.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme