• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two wines

Florida Jim

With a lunch of crackers, cheese, cold cuts, olives and apples:

2001 Donnhoff, Riesling (QbA):

Each bottle of this I open now is less and less sweet as the stone and mineral elements take-over. Elegant and light on the palate but intensely flavored; lovely pear and apple flavors accented with stone and citrus hints, that deep, pure streak of minerality coupled with solid acids brightening and holding everything in focus; lots of persistence.

One terrific bottle and I am so pleased to have more of it in the cellar.

With chicken breasts, Portobello mushrooms and zucchini all baked in a bag:

1998 Sine Qua Non, Pinot Noir “Veiled”:

The nose is dominated by forest floor and wax aromas with gentle oak and some red fruit while the palate emphasizes the fruit and spice aspects of the wine. The oak is noticeable but it does not overwhelm and there is pretty good depth and even some complexity. ‘Nicely balanced and it shows some Shea vineyard typicity.

It should be said that this is not my style of pinot and that I have little use for anything this producer does. Nonetheless, I can see why folks would enjoy this wine. It reminds me of some of Dominique Laurent’s wines; solid fruit and structure with more wood then I like. Not bad wines, just not my preference.

On the other hand, the price is absurd.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim, would it be possible if you started to list an estimated retail price for these wines? I understand that some of these were gifts or bought long ago, but I'd like to know what they cost and where you obtained them, if you could.

Thanks!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Jim, would it be possible if you started to list an estimated retail price for these wines?  I understand that some of these were gifts or bought long ago, but I'd like to know what they cost and where you obtained them, if you could.

Thanks!

Certainly.

The Donnhoff was $13, discounted.

The SQN was $63, from the mailing list.

Any price I list will include all costs (taxes, shipping, handling, packaging, etc.) and, unless otherwise noted, was paid at time of release.

I'll try to make a point of doing this with as many wines as possible in the future.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com