• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving meal in London

2 years ago, my family and I spent 5 days in London around Thanksgiving. We had tea at Brown's Hotel, which we enjoyed. We're going back to London this year, but my daughter would really prefer a more traditional Thanksgiving meal. I suspect several hotel restaurants may serve American-style turkey dinners, but i am leery of trying to reproduce this In London. Has anyone had any experience with turkey in English restaurants? Any ideas for a special holiday meal?

Thanks!

Roz

Sorry you haven't had any replies. I think you'll find (on this board) most American expats have a hard enough time finding a decent turkey to cook for themselves, let alone finding someone else to cook it for them.

Best of luck, though.

Maybe you could contact the American Embassy? I'm sure they have several thousand employees with a similar problem (which leads me to think that maybe one of the Park Lane hotels might do just that).

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Thanks for your tips! With respect to the comment about lack of availability of good turkeys in general in the UK, I wonder, does turkey have a bad reputation in the UK? Is it a political thing, or lack of good organic producers? In northern California we have several excellent brands(such as Diestel)-maybe they should cross the pond and set up an outpost in the UK? Or is it an acquired taste?

Best regards, Roz

Turkey has a low reputation across most of the known world for being dry and tasteless. For a time it wavered as a substitute for a roast joint or a goose but that's mostly subsided.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Turkey is for Christmas, not Thanksgiving -- which isn't a holiday over here. Most Christmas lunches and many dinners in the (gastronomically) grim run-up to Christmas will feature roast turkey.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Christopher's on Wellington Street and Blues Bistro and Bar on Dean Street have always done Thanksgiving menus so I assume turkey is on them!

I do recall my (American) husband and I had a Thanksgiving meal (special menu for Thanksgiving) at Joe Allen's in Covent Garden one year.

The food wasn't memorable (I think it was was Thanksgiving dishes with a twist kind of thing) and it wasn't traditional. It might be worth checking with the restaurant to see what's on the menu this year. It may be better.

Foodie_Penguin