• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the cheapest decent vodka?

thrasymachus

If I was going to buy some vodka just for mixing with juice and stuff...ie to get drunk, not to taste good...what is the cheapest brand that won't give me a terrible hangover (most pure I guess?). I know when I get drunk on cheap liquor I feel horrible the next day, but with the good stuff I don't feel so bad. So, decent mid to low range vodka? (something I can let my friends mix with kool aid without having a heart attack about how much it cost).

Smirnoff. Don't touch Popov, its nasty.

Wolfschmidt isnt bad either, its like 13 bucks a fifth.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Welcome to eG thrasymachus!

Hangovers are inevitable when any liquor is consumed to excess.... :biggrin:

For near the same price as Smirnoff, consider Finlandia or Skyy. For a few bucks more (about $20 for 750ml) try Brilliant.

Cheers!

any other opinions on burnetts? $8 a fifth sounds like the price i want to pay for a mixing liquor.

Personally, I can't recommend Burnetts at all. But each of us might have different opinions about that.

What I would recommend is this:

Buy a bottle of Burnetts. Make your drinks, when you are getting low (but not out!) pick up a bottle of something else, perhaps more expensive, perhaps less. Do a taste comparison between the two (blind, if possible). This will tell you which of the two you liked better.

Keep doing this each time you are running low, and eventually you will have arrived at what you think is the best value.

-Robert

www.DrinkBoy.com

Whatever you do, please do not take Tylenol as a preventative measure before bed when you've been drinking. That's much to cruel to your liver to do on a regular basis, and you want to treat it kindly, so it will continue to treat you kindly. Amen to the lots of water part.

regards,

trillium

Sure it will cure the hangover situation, but what that does to your digestive organs and liver is frightening and serious. I've got an article on that somewhere I'd be happy to provide a link to should I locate it....

It's just plain bad, bad, bad! Do yourself the favour and drink plenty of water (hydration) and munch on a few complex carbos and that will help mitigate or "slow" downsome of the effects of a consumption of an excess of spirits. And don't even *think* of greasy foods. (it will slow down the absorption of alcohol, however providing a false sense of security leading to a possible additional consumption of more liquor only for it to "dump" all at once into your bloodstream hitting you harder with a hefty drunk and a slower perceived effect of impairment of the senses from the alcohol -- say like when driving home.... boo all the way around). :angry:

My friend gave me a bottle of triple-distilled (maybe quadruple? can't remember) called Mad Monk.

It had a really cool scary picture of Rasputin inside the bottle.

She said it cost less than Absolut.

Noise is music. All else is food.

If I was going to buy some vodka just for mixing with juice and stuff...ie to get drunk, not to taste good...what is the cheapest brand that won't give me a terrible hangover (most pure I guess?).  I know when I get drunk on cheap liquor I feel horrible the next day, but with the good stuff I don't feel so bad.  So, decent mid to low range vodka? (something I can let my friends mix with kool aid without having a heart attack about how much it cost).

Are we talking about Homecoming or the Xmas Formal?

LMAO!!! Xmas formal.....hehehe. I never did understand why anyone would want to get sloppy, sideways, p*ss, blind drunk anyway. Getting sick, not remembering what you did, saying REALLY STUPID THINGS that your friends NEVER>>>EVER forget and waking up wishing you were dead is in no way fun or cool. I totaly understand the money situation though. A safe rule to follow is "If it's under $10 for a fifth...it's PROBABLY not something you want to ingest in quantity.".....OR......"If it's about the price of gasoline ($1.85 a gallon), you probably don't want to ingest it in quantity."

Scott

Edited by Cowboy From Hell (log)