• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Times Test Kitchen

Russ:

I believe you were involved in the redesign of the testing areas at the LAT during your tenure as editor. I have even more appreciation for what a huge task it must have been, since thanks to Varmint's Pig Pickin', I had the opportunity to cook in three very different kitchens this past weekend.

Could you tell us a little bit about how you balanced the need for expedience with the desire to approximate how your readers have to negotiate their home kitchens?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Sure Dave,

I was food editor when we were moved from the third floor of our building to the second floor. Well, I says, we can't go tramping up stairs to the test kitchen can we? We need a new one. A perplexed look. Well sure, tell us what you need (first time--and probably last--that's ever happened).

Most of the work in redesigning the kitchen was done by the architect and by Test Kitchen Director Donna Deane. I sent her up to Menlo Park to spend the day at Sunset magazine, looking at theirs and she came down with a wish list. I think we got pretty much everything we wanted. It's a really spectacular facility. The one thing I was adamant about was that all of the cooking equipment had to be from the appliance store ... no professional stuff. So in essence what we've got is a really nice home kitchen. Well, two really nice home kitchens. We did one side in a contemporary style and one more traditional so we'd have two different looks for photography!