• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 1

erica

Or the desire to unload both kids from their carseats and into the stroller, then back again once lunch is purchased, then steer said stroller while balancing a bag or two and drinks.  When I'm out running errands it's nice to be able to get a sandwich without leaving the car, especially when it's raining.

yeah, not to mention kids just love a baguette, some figs, and a bit of salami for lunch. :rolleyes:

It's interesting to see, again, RB is pointing out the "healthy" aspects of this sodium bomb of a sandwich.

I'm not a scientist but my understanding (from osmosis via reading) is that there is no proven correlation between sodium intake and the onset of high blood pressure. For someone who already has high blood pressure, sodium intake is a more serious issue...and those folks shouldn't be eating at BK in the first place.

Salt does not necessarily equal unhealthy. If you're going to knock the sandwich, its salt content is not the most productive place to start.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

yeah, not to mention kids just love a baguette, some figs, and a bit of salami for lunch.  :rolleyes:

They would if they'd never been subjected to fast food and if they were used to good figs, salami and real crusty bread. We were not allowed fast food when we were growing up and I still don't like it, but I will drive through to get some decent ice tea when I haven't grabbed any from home. And not every place has good ice tea, btw. Nestee doen't count... :angry:

how much is 1220 mg of sodium anyway, relative to other foods?  i know that my spice-rubbed ribs have a good amount of salt in them.

That would be approximately 1.22 grams, not at all a substantial amount in the grand scheme of things.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

how much is 1220 mg of sodium anyway, relative to other foods?  i know that my spice-rubbed ribs have a good amount of salt in them.

Well, one teaspoon of salt is approx. 2,000 mg of sodium. I suppose we can roughly figure it out from there.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

yeah, not to mention kids just love a baguette, some figs, and a bit of salami for lunch.  :rolleyes:

They would if they'd never been subjected to fast food and if they were used to good figs, salami and real crusty bread. We were not allowed fast food when we were growing up and I still don't like it, but I will drive through to get some decent ice tea when I haven't grabbed any from home. And not every place has good ice tea, btw. Nestee doen't count... :angry:

but if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass hoppin'. :wink:

BK single Cheeseburger = 790 mg sodium

Orig. Whopper = 980 mg

BK Orig. Original Chicken Sandwich = 1270 mg

BK Fish Fillet = 840 mg

BK Chicken Caesar Salad (w/o Dressing or Croutons) = 1040 mg

KRAFT® Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing = 340 mg

Croutons = 300 mg

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

tanabutler,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. 

It's interesting to see, again, RB is pointing out the "healthy" aspects of this sodium bomb of a sandwich.

He has high hope for the future.  Unfortunately, it's not realistic.  The marriage of High Volume Fast Food and "organic options" isn't likely due to the prohibitive cost of organic anything.

Thirty years ago most people weren't sure how to spell organic. Now it's a fast growing (in some places, the fastest growing) segment of the food market right across North America. If BK customers started demanding organic food, you can bet BK would find a way to deliver. And if they couldn't, their customers would go to a fast food joint that could.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

tanabutler,

He has high hope for the future.  Unfortunately, it's not realistic.  The marriage of High Volume Fast Food and "organic options" isn't likely due to the prohibitive cost of organic anything.

Thirty years ago most people weren't sure how to spell organic. Now it's a fast growing (in some places, the fastest growing) segment of the food market right across North America. If BK customers started demanding organic food, you can bet BK would find a way to deliver. And if they couldn't, their customers would go to a fast food joint that could.

You mean "organic" is an emerging rationalized economic market? :shock:

tanabutler,

I mean that if and when BK customers start demanding organic food, many of the folks who sneer at BK will be sneering at organic food. :biggrin:

I mean that if and when BK customers start demanding organic food, many of the folks who sneer at BK will be sneering at organic food. :biggrin:

Or new sneering targets will emerge. :wink:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Or new sneering targets will emerge. :wink:

Yes, there's always a market for that.

Knowing my [former] dedication to honest, authentic flavors and healthy food, [extremely wealthy] acquaintances [who I met yesterday] at Burger King asked me to [accept a large amount of money to] taste a new trio of sandwiches they’re about to offer in their 8,000 restaurants [and in whose design I did not participate at all, in any way]. Sandwiches that feature [highly processed] grilled chicken breast [that until I took this money I would have surely condemned in as sanctimonious a manner as possible], a [highly processed] crusty baguette-like roll that’s finish-baked [not to be confused with fresh-baked even though I'm hoping people will read the term "finish-baked" quickly so as not to notice I didn't say fresh-baked] several times daily on premises, and (in the case of the Santa Fe Grilled Chicken Baguette sandwich they wanted [to write] my comments on [a TV commercial]) a smooth “salsa” made with roasted tomatoes and roasted poblano chiles plus a chunky topping of roasted peppers and onions [which happens to taste quite awful].

I am [as] genuinely impressed [as money can buy] with the honesty of flavor and texture in the salsa [which I no longer feel obligated to put in quotes, having already indicated once that it's not anything I'd ever call salsa unless highly paid to do so], the diversity of [several dozen] ingredients [that I can't pronounce] (when’s the last time you saw poblano chiles [mixed with liquid smoke] on a fast-food menu?), the freshness of the roasted peppers and onions (they are delivered fresh to each restaurant—not frozen [yes, the thing is so awful that I actually have to praise the fact that the peppers and onions aren't frozen, as though that's impressive]), and the crispy integrity of the bread’s crust [which is actually not the slightest bit crispy and, by integrity, I mean it has as much integrity as I do]. I found the flame-grilled flavor [from the addition of chemicals] satisfying and the portion-size on target—especially for every-day eating [and especially when combined with a gigantic Coca-Cola and a huge tub of fries]. On target, too, are the 350 calories and 5 grams of fat in each sandwich [assuming anybody other than a food critic orders one of these things a la carte].

Honestly [just to be sure you know I'm not lying], up until now, I’ve found very few options for a decent quick meal when I’m away from my home or restaurant—and I find myself in need of one from time to time like everyone. [Of course, I'm not everyone; I'm a famous chef who has built my reputation by lobbying for organic and sustainable foods.] I’d stopped even considering fast food restaurants ages ago as a source for anything that approaches hot, healthy, honest and satisfying [until this unique opportunity to sell out to Burger King presented itself].

But now I want to I applaud the folks at Burger King for taking steps toward changing that. [i'd also like to thank the team of publicists who advised me on the writing of this totally fucking disingenuous letter.] Sure, I’d like to see them use organically grown vegetables in the sauce and roasted pepper topping [but I'll happily do the ad anyway]. Sure, I’d like to see the grilled chicken breast seem [note my masters at Burger King who had to approve this letter wouldn't let me use any word other than "seem" even though it makes the sentence meaningless] less processed (though I’ll admit there’s a noticeably less-processed overall taste to the sandwich [and as you know I have long believed that if a food doesn't taste processed it should for all intents and purposes be deemed not processed]. None of that negates, however, the fact that the folks at Burger King are taking positive steps [to increase my income]. Who knows, maybe this is just the beginning [of my new income stream]. Maybe my dream of organic options in fast food isn’t that far off [or maybe it is; I don't really care given the size of the check, and I'd like to make clear that I didn't predict this would happen -- I just said "maybe" because I absolutely know it won't but I still want the money].

I’ve decided to sign on to do a commercial for the new Burger King sandwiches. That doesn’t mean I’ve changed any part of our strong Frontera Mission—only chosen to highlight our dedication to inclusivity [even of missions totally antithetical to our own], to applaud positive steps toward a healthier food supply wherever we see them [and even where we don't]. Our restaurants [as opposed to the ones we endorse for money] will still be the bastion of local, seasonal, sustainably raised food hand-crafted by some of our nation’s best artisan chefs [until such time as we find ourselves able to make more money by selling processed crap that doesn't taste processed]. I’ll still continue to be a strong voice for authentic flavors [even if they're generated in labs], for understanding cultural diversity through food [even as the multinational chains devote billions of dollars a year to crushing any hint of diversity and putting all the single-unit establishments in the world out of business], and for the importance of preparing and sharing food around the family table [just like at Burger King].

Sincerely,

Rick Bayless

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In other words, FG disagrees with Rick Bayless.

In other words, Rick Bayless disagrees with Rick Bayless, and FG is pointing out what a hypocrite sellout Rick Bayless is. In addition, FG disagrees with Rick Bayless and thinks the "salsa" of which Rick Bayless speaks so highly is so awful that there are really only two possibilities: that Rick Bayless is lying, or has no taste.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

On target, too, are the 350 calories and 5 grams of fat in each sandwich [assuming anybody other than a food critic orders one of these things a la carte].

yeah, it occurred to me, when i bought one, that there wasn't really anything else to go with it, except for, perhaps, another one.

and i didn't think the "salsa" was all that bad, for what it was.

tastelessly yours,

tommy

Edited by tommy (log)

In other words, FG disagrees with Rick Bayless.

In other words, Rick Bayless disagrees with Rick Bayless, and FG is pointing out what a hypocrite sellout Rick Bayless is. In addition, FG disagrees with Rick Bayless and thinks the "salsa" of which Rick Bayless speaks so highly is so awful that there are really only two possibilities: that Rick Bayless is lying, or has no taste.

Rick Bayless doesn't disagree with Rick Bayless.

But go on.

1220mg is a little less than half a teaspoon.  Which is a lot for one sandwich.

how much sodium is in a sandwich, say, like this one.

_yankee2.JPG

Probably about 1000 mgs, and that's just the bread.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Rick Bayless doesn't disagree with Rick Bayless.

Matthew, you've already been offered the opportunity to refute the claim of hypocrisy and you've refused. Now you're back denying it even though you can't or won't answer the arguments. Make a choice: either explain why Bayless's ideological history is compatible with his current sellout views, or stop embarrassing yourself by repeating a point you refuse to support.