• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 1

erica

Jeez, guess I've been living in an opaque baggie! Richard had to hit me over the head with the news that Bayless is shilling for BK - Sta Fe chicken/schmicken sandwich. What on earth has that boy been smoking? BTW, at Whole Foods the other night I noticed they were selling Frontera tortilla chips - some even flavored (and colored to match) w/salsa verde. I was coming out of a massage when I saw the display, and had to go right back to the chair, put my face in the ring, and beg for 20 more minutes on my spazzing neck. Tortilla chips? Mother of God's Hairdresser in a Lime Green Polyester Jumpsuit! Is daughter Lainie requiring a chinchilla liner for her snowboots, or is someone about to clean his clock in Family Court?

Somewhere to the far south and west of me, up on the hill over Coatepec de Morelos, Michoacan, I can hear Dianna Kennedy howling. Oh, my! I think I'm going to be very ill ...

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Let's try to approach this from another angle--and this is purely speculative, but all this respect being shown to Bayless on this thread might just mean he's a pretty good judge of what's capable at a given price point and scale. Maybe this endorsement means nothing more than BK is doing it just about the best that it can be done given its customer base, price and volume--and surely real reductions in fat in popular BK sandwiches will have more actual influence in more people's lives than any Alice Waters piece in Saveur. What if part of his agreement is that he'll continue to consult, continue to effect positive change? What if the BK support includes charitable contributions for some of these other Bayless interests like Chef's Collaborative?

Can't smart talented people multi-task and succeed on several levels simultaneously? So he's going to appear in a few print ads in magazines such as Cooking Light and Shape and Parenting endorsing the Santa Fe Chicken sandwich--it might actually be a good sandwich. Why not publicly support a fast food chain trying to improve the status quo? Why would this in any way compromise any dish his staff serves in his restaurants? Does it undue his books or his writing? They will still either be every bit as good, every bit as consistent, every bit as "authentic" or they won't. It might be that what he says in the ad is nothing more than he supports BK trying to change, trying to improve, but that change has to happen slowly. Funny, but that might be the very same message he sends at the Chefs Collaborative meetings.

Actually, BK is playing catchup--McDonalds has already rolled rolled out good salads with frisee and mache and baby lettuces.

The difference reading that Saveur piece made in my life was to see the Patroness of Seasonal and Local recast as the Harridan of the Haricots Verts. Bayless has walked his talk very consistently, has been a worker bee for the Chef's Collaborative, and has not been a notable limelight hog. I think that's why it shocks us to see him shilling for BurgerKing.

It just seems that he has taken a weird, though constitutionally protected, U-turn. We just don't expect him to do something like that any more than we would expect to see you do the same for Wilton's summer coating.

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

An article in Nation's Restaurant News by Amy Garber featured a few quotes from Bayless on the issue.

(can't find an online link)

"This is not something I would normally do...but I've been talking and writing so much about good, simple everyday eating, and this is something that fits with the message that I have been putting out for a long time."

Bayless describes the sandwiches as "...much less processed than a lot of things we get at fast-food places."

Dismissing criticism that his sponsorship could hurt the brand image of his restaurants: "You can't eat fine dining every day, because it would become less special...I would be stupid to think that because I'm in fine dining I don't have any place in my life for a quick meal. Fast food isn't going away, and I want to do anything I can to encourage fast food producers to make healthier foods."

An (neutral) ad agency exec was cited as saying it would have been better for BK to use Bayless to help improve product quality before pitching him as a spokesperson for a menu item he had no hand in creating.

Raymond Coen, a business consultant in California: "It sounds like a bunch of people in an ivory tower who don't have any merchant sense...They [bK officials] seem to be looking for an advertising strategy to make something out of nothing."

BK's chief exec Brad Blum states the goals of the promotion are "incremental traffic" and "looking to attract people who have not been coming to Burger King."

In October BK will debut the Savory Mustard Chicken (mustard sauce, lettuce and tomatoes) followed weeks later by the Smoky Chicken Baguette (grilled peppers, onions and BBQ sauce). This promotion is slated to run for 8 weeks compared to the more typical 4 or 6 week promotions, featuring radio and TV spots as well as print ads in nearly ten new magazines.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Love the quotes.

Bayless sounds like a once-fine actor explaining their imminent appearance in a Rob Schneider film.

" A wonderful opportunity to stretch.... the director is great...Rob's a HUGE talent...."

Oooooohoohoo.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Love the quotes.

Bayless sounds like a once-fine actor explaining their imminent appearance in a Rob Schneider film.

" A wonderful opportunity to stretch.... the director is great...Rob's a HUGE talent...."

Snerk!

I swear to God, I read "Rob Scheider" as "Ron Jeremy." Either one makes perfect sense. Especially the HUGE talent part.

I still think it's a bunch of b.s., and I can't believe that the people at Chef's Collaborative haven't addressed it.

I worked this weekend at one of the farm dinners with two chefs. Three, actually. All are familiar with Chef's Collaborative—all serve only organic produce at their restaurants. They hadn't heard about Bayless's sell-out, and were flabbergasted. One said, "He went to the Dark Side." He said he didn't have a problem with anyone eating at Burger King, that he does himself from time to time. But the endorsement from a member of Chefs Collaborative? Sheer crap. But yeah, we're all jealous of the money.

Bayless says:

I've been talking and writing so much about good, simple everyday eating, and this is something that fits with the message that I have been putting out for a long time.

Good? Simple? How 'bout that list of ingredients! Where can I get a 55-gallon drum of liquid smoke?

Yes, the commercial is finally out now.

I have not seen it, but my 11 year old daughter came to me and said, "Who was that guy, Rick something that you used to always watch that made all the Mexican food...you know, Rick...something?"

I replied, "Rick Bayless?"

She said, "Yeah! Rick Bayless! You know what? I saw him today on TV and he was advertising for Burger King...why would he do that? Ewwwww!"

I found it amusing...and had no answer.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

The sandwich has finally hit the area where I live. I was curious to hear in the local BK radio ads how loudly they were trumpeting the fact that the sandwich was so low in fat grams and low in calories, yet at the end of the spot, the announcer sped through a disclaimer stating that the sandwich was not a low-sodium food. The TV ads for the sandwich have the same disclaimer "not a low-sodium food" in small discrete lettering at the bottom of the screen.

"Try our new low fat, low calorie chicken sandwich...except you might explode later on from the salt it contains."

Note, however, that NOWHERE in their advertising do they say that their sandwich is healthy for you. They have been very careful in not saying that (probably under advice from their lawyers). It's implied visually in their ads, but they never say it. Plus, they've got RB making that claim for them:

"...It's healthier, fresher-tasting and much less processed''.

"Healthier" than what? Chugging kosher salt straight from the box? Okay, you win that one, Rick. "Much less processed" than what? Perhaps BK's other sandwiches contain more than 55 ingredients so we'll give you that one, too, Rick.

It's like the "Emperor's New Clothes" fable and RB is part of the window dressing.

Jinmyo, methinks you were correct from the start.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Damn!!!

I knew this couldn't have gone unnoticed here.

Thanks for merging me.

Steve Klc brought up a good point about fashion and Target , Issac (and Todd) but...

Fashion always get's copped by store's,etc.

I don't hold anything against Bayless, anymore then I do against Bowie or the Who or Led Zep for selling out to their various entities, corps. car ads.

Money Talks, Bullshit Walks, 'thas all.

2317/5000

Yes, the commercial is finally out now.

I have not seen it, but my 11 year old daughter came to me and said, "Who was that guy, Rick something that you used to always watch that made all the Mexican food...you know, Rick...something?"

I replied, "Rick Bayless?"

She said, "Yeah! Rick Bayless! You know what? I saw him today on TV and he was advertising for Burger King...why would he do that? Ewwwww!"

I found it amusing...and had no answer.

Think of the children, Rick!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I've seen the ad.

:sad:

This is not a transcript:

Rick is walking through a market picking up vegetables to make a chicken sandwich.

"POH-BLA-NO," sez Rick.

Then he basically sez, "Eh. Why bother?"

And bites into a Burger King chicken sandwich. /exeunt

I wonder how much they paid him to swallow?

I'm a little surprised everyone here seems to be trashing Rick for his endorsement decision. Why have all of you taken it upon yourselves to judge the man based on how he makes his money??? I keep on forgetting how everyone here as an unreproachable altruistic career. After all, fine dining is a very inexpensive pursuit, right?

The point is Rick is still the same chef today that he was yesterday. If you think his endorsement deal has diminished his ability to run a restaurant, then fine, don't go. It'll make the waiting time much less.

Why are people having a go at Rick???

Because hes taking it up the ass from a corporation which is diametrically opposed to the "values" that this guy has promoted.We all have to make a living, but to say he is the same chef is wrong.He sold out.

I'm a little surprised everyone here seems to be trashing Rick for his endorsement decision.  Why have all of you taken it upon yourselves to judge the man based on how he makes his money???  I keep on forgetting how everyone here as an unreproachable altruistic career.

i was just about to say that.

Because hes taking it up the ass from a corporation

oddly enough, every year when i take a look at my income, i can't help but think that i'm the one giving it in the ass to someone, rather than taking it. i suspect bayless, and a lot of others here, feel the same way.

Edited by tommy (log)

oddly enough, every year when i take a look at my income, i can't help but think that i'm the one giving it in the ass to someone, rather than taking it.  i suspect bayless, and a lot of others here, feel the same way.

Well, that will certainly enhance his credibility as a spokesperson espousing the benefits of fresh, natural foods. :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Well, that will certainly enhance his credibility as a spokesperson espousing the benefits of fresh, natural foods.  :hmmm:

maybe to some. and probably not to some others. people like me who like fine dining, natural foods, and mcdonalds, are no doubt not bothered very much. i really don't see the dichotomy or the hypocrisy that others are suggesting. now either i'm really really special and unique, as i've always suspected in general, or i'm not alone.

Edited by tommy (log)

curiosity got the best of me.

i, like bobrazil, was surprised at the small size, but only because the 3 foot picture at the drive-through made it look huge, and we naturally associate it with the other "long" sandwiches at BK, which are considerably bigger (and far nastier). it's just a bit bigger than a burger, but more filling.

it's basically sauce, peppers, onions, and "grilled" chicken. the sauce was surprisingly zippy, a little smoky, and not too sweet. that's surprising for a place whose target is probably people who like sweet, salty food. the chicken wasn't dry, and the texture was quite pleasing. the only drawback was the "baguette", which was not crispy at all, but rather more doughy. a little too much bread for my taste, but the ratio was by no means all out of whack. the sandwich also doesn't "smell" like the rest of BK. BK's food, as many know, has a certain smell about it. this sandwich could have come out of any local sandwich shop.

i think if i were a well-respected chef who loves and promotes artisinal food, i might be happy that a company that is feeding millions of people a day is offering this product. being just a regular guy who loves and promotes artisinal food in his own way, i'm *very* pleased they're offering it, and i'll probably have it again. i just hope it's semi-healthy, because it's hard to pass up a double whopper with cheese. :biggrin:

I'm a little surprised everyone here seems to be trashing Rick for his endorsement decision.  Why have all of you taken it upon yourselves to judge the man based on how he makes his money???  I keep on forgetting how everyone here as an unreproachable altruistic career.  After all, fine dining is a very inexpensive pursuit, right?

The point is Rick is still the same chef today that he was yesterday.  If you think his endorsement deal has diminished his ability to run a restaurant, then fine, don't go.  It'll make the waiting time much less.

Have you read this thread?

He's a spokesperson for "local, fresh, organic and seasonal," as the Chefs Collaborative espouses. The responsibility incumbent on Bayless to maintain his integrity is huge.

He sold out.

It's bullshit, and I think he should resign from the CC Board of Overseers.

They haven't answered e-mails, still.

What he does in his restaurant has perhaps not changed, but his credibility and integrity as a member of the Board of Overseers is gone.

Edited by tanabutler (log)