• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Yes, dont you worry.

2 weeks ago, I might have suggested Blue Ribbon Bakery, but alas, no more. I didnt enjoy it as much this time around (too much bread and not enough juicy burger. So juicy that you didn't even need ketchup) I will have to try it again before recommending it.

But inconsistency is really disappointing.

I too, will skip Chumleys. And I think I said on another thread that I keep hearing about this Paul's Palace. I've never been there, I just heard that it's a hole in the wall in the East Village that serves up amazing burgers. Anyone been there?

I too, will skip Chumleys. And I think I said on another thread that I keep hearing about this Paul's Palace. I've never been there, I just heard that it's a hole in the wall in the East Village that serves up amazing burgers. Anyone been there?

This is the place on the west side of Second Ave just south of St. Mark's? I had a burger there this spring after hearing the raves, and it wasn't bad. It may be worth putting on the list.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Sorry, I missed out on the first 9 pages. Has the Jackson Hole or Corner Bistro been mentioned? Not that this constitutes an endorsement or not of either one. And from my limited experiences of CB, isn't the quality effected by whether the good cook as opposed to the shitty cook is on duty?

According to the local restaurant critic, the Morton's on Connecticut Avenue here has the best burgers in Washington, DC. Only at lunch, though. Catch the Acela down here!! Have some glasses of wine with me at Citronelle and then catch the 9 o'clock train back.

Is this Morton's different than any of the other Morton's locations scattered across the country? That Acela ticket could buy a lot of burgers at Morton's in NY.

fuckacious

Tee hee! Good one. That's totally fuckadelic.

As one Doonesbury strip stated, you can talk like a military man by using the work "fuck" as if it were a comma.

That reminds me of a joke.

This homeless guy stops a businessman on the street in the east village and asks for a dollar for some food. The buisnessman says "Neither a lender nor borrower be." - Shakespeare. And the homeless guy says "Fuck you, you fucking fuck!" - Mamet.

Sorry, I missed out on the first 9 pages.  Has the Jackson Hole or Corner Bistro been mentioned?  Not that this constitutes an endorsement or not of either one.  And from my limited experiences of CB, isn't the quality effected by whether the good cook as opposed to the shitty cook is on duty?

NO.

Quality is affected by the shitty meat ordered.

And from my limited experiences of CB, isn't the quality effected by whether the good cook as opposed to the shitty cook is on duty?

the quality is affected by how many beers you've had. of this you can be assured.

NOW you're making sense.

Anyone had a burger at La Bonbonnery? (sp?)

NO.

Quality is affected by the shitty meat ordered.

by "shitty meat", do you mean shitty quality? and then, if so, by quality, do you mean fat content, cut, ground on premises, etc?

i what "quality" meat Molly's uses. i think they might actually grind it there. but i haven't seen any hard and fast correlation btwn "quality" meat, and a good burger. of course there is some, but not all of the time.

Edited by tommy (log)

I mean tasting yummy. :biggrin: I suppose that's the cut, the flavor of the mix, (CB is FINE on fat content), and I don't care where it's ground as long as it tastes fresh.

Plus, they could SERIOUSLY improve on their cooking technique. Regardless of who's doing it.

Edited by elyse (log)

i what "quality" meat Molly's uses.  i think they might actually grind it there.  but i haven't seen any hard and fast correlation btwn "quality" meat, and a good burger.  of course there is some, but not all of the time.

JosephB and I were just talking last night about what a huge difference grinding your own meat can make. Really, I think this is one element that can't be over estimated -- especially if the meat is ground a relatively short time before it is cooked. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that freshly ground meat is significantly less oxidized than ground meat that has sat around for a while.

--

i what "quality" meat Molly's uses.  i think they might actually grind it there.  but i haven't seen any hard and fast correlation btwn "quality" meat, and a good burger.  of course there is some, but not all of the time.

JosephB and I were just talking last night about what a huge difference grinding your own meat can make. Really, I think this is one element that can't be over estimated -- especially if the meat is ground a relatively short time before it is cooked. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that freshly ground meat is significantly less oxidized than ground meat that has sat around for a while.

sam,

clearly grinding you own meat makes a huge difference. everything from safety to texture to flavor is controlled. and i'll never make another burger at home without grinding my own (thank you egullet :biggrin: )

however, i'm just not convinced that all of the places that we love grind their own.

I would add that one must eat a hamburger rare, or no more cooked than medium rare, to appreciate the added value of freshly ground meat.

Talk about getting in late in a conversation - I too would love to pursue the ultimate new york burger. If it is too late [for molly's] i understand but if not then I am in.

Paul's palace is right near my apt - good burger place but not the most amazing burgers. They do have damn good vege burgers (i still think it is meat and anyway it is cooked basically right next to the real burger) and their pickle tub and cheap beer make it a great place. But a great burger, as is all great food, is something real special.

Now molly's - that should be fun.

Are we allowed to drink guiness with it - or is it only water? :-)

Joe

Okay, Saturday the 11th at Molly's Pub - 287 3rd ave. @ 24th, 212-889-3361.  Shall we say 1:00?  Who's in?

Just to remind everyone.

I called and spoke to Jim. He will be there on Saturday, and he has promised us plentiful burgers. I told him we'd be about 15, but will call back with a final count.

So start counting.

I would add that one must eat a hamburger rare, or no more cooked than medium rare, to appreciate the added value of freshly ground meat.

I agree, but some do not. That is open to the individual in this club.

I agree, but some do not. That is open to the individual in this club.

again, added value comes in the forms of safety and texture, among other things not fully related to temp. imo.

Talk about getting in late in a conversation - I too would love to pursue the ultimate new york burger.  If it is too late [for molly's] i understand but if not then I am in.

Paul's palace is right near my apt - good burger place but not the most amazing burgers.  They do have damn good vege burgers (i still think it is meat and anyway it is cooked basically right next to the real burger) and their pickle tub and cheap beer make it a great place. But a great burger, as is all great food, is something real special.

Now molly's - that should be fun. 

Are we allowed to drink guiness with it - or is it only water?  :-)

Joe

Where's Paul's?

Count up to 16. You may drink what you like. Vege burgers are NOT allowed in Burger Club. Red meat. Beef. Bovine. Buffalo may come next, but for now, it's the cow we love.

And may I extend an extra special, heartfelt welcome and thank you for making Burger Club your first post. *snif*