• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Gin, Generally

njduchess

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I've been using Ford's (45%), which seems to be gaining favor among bartenders.  I have a little more "trouble" with Tanq 10 in a Martini.

I like Ford's.  And the labels peel off nicely so I can re-use them to bottle up limoncello or eggnog or whatever. 

Since Beefeater lowered the proof and (maybe just locally) increased their price, I've been using regular Tanqueray London Dry (47.3%) which has the advantage of being a couple bucks cheaper than Beefeater and still has that standard juniper-forward profile. 

• Like 1

not being a cocktail or martini person :

where does Bombay Blue sapphire ( or the upscale version of the same )

stand in the pecking order ?

I like Q.Victoria , and the blueish bottle.

just saying.

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like Ford's.  And the labels peel off nicely so I can re-use them to bottle up limoncello or eggnog or whatever. 

Since Beefeater lowered the proof and (maybe just locally) increased their price, I've been using regular Tanqueray London Dry (47.3%) which has the advantage of being a couple bucks cheaper than Beefeater and still has that standard juniper-forward profile. 

I still have any number of the OG proof Beefeater bottles stashed away, as I made it a priority to grab them whenever I saw them, usually in out-of-the-way liquor stores.  I don't mind the standard/classic Tanqueray, and I never knew which was going to be cheaper until walking into the liquor store.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

not being a cocktail or martini person :

where does Bombay Blue sapphire ( or the upscale version of the same )

stand in the pecking order ?

I like Q.Victoria , and the blueish bottle.

just saying.

For a house gin we often use plain old Bombay. Sapphire is pricier and I don't actually like it as much. Bombay clocks in at 43%.   

• Like 2