• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need rec's for road trip TN, AR,TX

nizza

Hi I'm from the New Jersey Chowhound board and we'll be driving from Jersey to Austin, Tx and need recommendations for places to eat.

We'll be taking Rt 81 thru Tenn, Rt 40 thru Arkansas to Rt 30 in Texas to Rt 35 to Austin.

We would really appreciate some suggestions for places to eat along the way.

Thanks in advance!!! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Beto - thanks for the recommendation. We will be eating dinner at The Main Street Grill in Staunton. Could you give me the address of Cool Spot Coffee. I did a search and did not come up with anything. Thanks!

the only place to eat in all of Arkansas is James at the Mill. It is near Fayetteville in the NW corner of the state. Plenty of great restaurants in Austin, Nashville--The Acorn restaurant, Franklin TN--Saffire Restaurant, Memphis-- Wally Joes(dinner) , Seasons at the White Church (breakfast, lunch or dinner)

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

• 3 weeks later...

Craig's Barbecue, right on Rt. 40 in Brinkley (I think) Arkansas -- it's actually out in the country a ways, not that close to a town. It's been a while since i was there, but I found it (literally) by following my nose to the source of the hickory smoke. Tiny place, you'll probably share a table, but excellent 'cue and interesting sauce that contains apples..Look across the road for a small wooden sign - there used to be a woman who sold fried pies out of a converted chicken coop. Outstanding!

Actually, Craig's is in DeValls Bluff, west of Brinkley. The last I heard, the pie shop had burned, but I think Craig's may still sell their pies. They made a sweet potato pie that was more like pecan pie filling than pumpkin pie-good. Anyway, Craigs is on US 70 which parallels I40 on the south. It's on the west side of DeValls Bluff, on the south side of the road.

A suggestion for when your in Oklahoma City. The best sushi in the whole state is Sushi Necko at the Will Rogers Center. And they are listed on Opentable.com for your reservation.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!