• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2002–2005

It's five to two and we haven't even packed to leave for NJ yet.

To all my eg buddies -- have a zissen pesach. Thanks for keeping me sane during the prep process.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

To all my eg buddies -- have a zissen pesach. Thanks for keeping me sane during the prep process.

We are nothing if not the human form of Prozac .. Pesachdik of course!!

Enjoy New Jersey and the holidays with your in-laws, bloviatrix, and bring us tales from the holiday with detailed reports on the food ... and your highly energetic mil!! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Enjoy New Jersey and the holidays with your in-laws, bloviatrix, and bring us tales from the holiday with detailed reports on the food ... and your highly energetic mil!! :laugh:

You might regret that request. Pesach has been known turn into Festivus. :shock:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You might regret that request. Pesach has been known turn into Festivus. :shock:

Yes, Festivus, I remember it with great anguish ... when people would stand up and complain ... yeah, many a seder has the merry ring of Festivus! Thanks for the memory, bloviatrix! Festivus with the Whiners .. just imagine that!! :shock:

And another question.  My aunt uses the same shank bone for her Seder plate every year.  She has some story about how she had to twist some butcher's arm in order to get it.  She's kept it in the freezer for decades.  It emerges every year, looking... not bad, actually.  Is this a common practice in any of your families?

This kills me. Are you forgiven, Clothier?

Selachti ... oops, wrong holiday!! Slicha!!! :blink:

Actually Clothier, you are still in the will, no? :rolleyes:

Your aunt recycles a shankbone?? :laugh: I can see paper and plastic recycling, but this is another story altogether!! Never knew anyone who did this .... talk about ecologically correct!

I think everything is ok.

My father found the situation endlessly amusing, and when we were making the gefilte fish yesterday, my mom at least cracked a smile about it. So I think I'm safe.

I love you Mommy!!

I know this is a little late, although in Israel we will have our second seder next week.

I read Katie's recipe for Sepharadi haroset. My boyfriend is the "King" of haroset,

He makes an adaptation of a Venetian recipe with dates, apricots, figs, raisins, apples, walnuts, almonds, chestnut creme, date syrup, fresh ginger, sweet red wine, brandy and orange zest. It is seasoned with cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.

He makes it a two days before the seder.

I make Matzo Balls (made from whole matzo) that have been handed down from generation to generation:

MAMA K'S WORLD FAMOUS MATZO BALLS

Yield: Approx. 45 - 50 Matzo Balls

* 14 Matzos

* 2 Med. White Onions, chopped coarsely

* 3/4 C. Melted Chicken Fat (do not substitute)

* 1/4 tsp. Pepper

* 1/2 C fresh Parsley, chopped

* 1 tsp. Salt

* 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg

* 7 Eggs, lightly beaten w/ fork

* 1/8 Cup Matzo Meal

* Additional Matzo Meal for rolling

Break Matzos into chunks and put into a colander placed in sink. Run water over the colander until the matzo is moist, but not water logged. Let the water drain and let stand for one to two minutes. (Can be put into plastic bag and kept overnight in the refrigerator.)

Brown onions in melted fat in large heavy roasting pan over medium heat until "real brown" Add Matzos and stir gently frequently. Most of the moisture has to evaporate. If mixture sticks to bottom, put lid on a few minutes to soften. Add Salt, Pepper, Parsley & Nutmeg. Cool until no more steam comes off, check if cool enough so eggs won't cook, and add eggs. Gently stir in Matzo Meal.

Test the first matzo ball by placing in boiling water. Test that it maintains it shape and taste to check if more salt, pepper and nutmeg should be added.

Place thick layer of meal on foil-lined cookie sheet. Use spoons or scoop to make balls, rolling very carefully into golf ball size, using as little pressure as possible. Place on cookie sheet and roll in meal. If you prefer, wet your hands and roll in palm, but this requires scraping off hands and re-wetting frequently. Discard excess matzo meal. Leave on sheet in refrigerator, covered with wax paper, or freeze on sheet before packing in bags for freezer. They can be kept in the freezer for 3 months.

Bring chicken soup to a boil and add Matzo Balls a few at a time. When they rise to the top, they are done. Serve and say AAHHHH loudly with each bite.

This recipe has been handed down from generation to generation. It is Westphalian and Alsatian. If you are afraid of using chicken fat, try half chicken fat and half olive oil.

Chag Sameach everyone.

I love you Mommy!!

and I am quite certain, clothier, that she loves you as well ....

even a lurking mad mommy is not such a bad thing here at eG! :laugh:

So how was everyone's first Seder? The menu where I played frequent guest was:

- Gefilte Fish with homemade horseradish

- Matzah Ball soup

- Salad

- Brisket marinated in orange juice with prunes, Turkey Meatballs, Spinach kugel, steamed Asparagus, and Carrot, fingerling potato and apricot tzimmes.

- Chocolate covered matzah, coconut and chocolate covered coconut macaroons, mini dried fruit "muffins", fresh fruit salad

I had picked up a bottle of Tierra Salvaje Monastrell Dulce red dessert wine and it was quite deleicious with the chocolate covered matzah and chocolate covered macaroons. :wub:

I rolled home and slept like a hero. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love you Mommy!!

and I am quite certain, clothier, that she loves you as well ....

even a lurking mad mommy is not such a bad thing here at eG! :laugh:

I think the only thing I'm getting in the will is the china and the silverware, so I always try and play nice.

So how was everyone's first Seder? The menu where I played frequent guest was:

- Matzah Ball soup

- Salad

- Brisket marinated in orange juice with prunes, Turkey Meatballs, Spinach kugel, steamed Asparagus, and Carrot, fingerling potato and apricot tzimmes.

- Chocolate covered matzah, coconut and chocolate covered coconut macaroons, mini dried fruit "muffins", fresh fruit salad

I had picked up a bottle of Tierra Salvaje Monsastrell Dulce red dessert wine and it was quite deleicious with the chocolate covered matzah and chocolate covered macaroons. :wub:

we had:

gefilte fish

matzo ball soup

boned leg of lamb stuffed with matzo stuffing

more matzo stuffing

mina (think spinach, pine nuts, articoke hearts with matzo)

asparagas (with a garlic lemon butter)

tiriamisu

chocoloate toffee matzo

tishpishti

all of it was splendid.

So how was everyone's first Seder?  The menu where I played frequent guest was:

- Matzah Ball soup

- Salad

I had picked up a bottle of Tierra Salvaje Monsastrell Dulce red dessert wine and it was quite deleicious with the chocolate covered matzah and chocolate covered macaroons. :wub:

we had:

gefilte fish

matzo ball soup

boned leg of lamb stuffed with matzo stuffing

more matzo stuffing

mina (think spinach, pine nuts, articoke hearts with matzo)

asparagas (with a garlic lemon butter)

tiriamisu

chocoloate toffee matzo

tishpishti

all of it was splendid.

Shumshed egg in salt water

Gefilte fish (store bought)

Matzoh ball and nasty pasadicha noodles (soup made by me)

Broiled salmon

Roasted green beans with white balsamic vinegar

Roasted new potatos with rosemary

Stewed pears

Raspberry passover cake

It was fine, nothing special. Tonight should be better :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

We had the following:

Venetian haroset

Matzo ball soup

Salmon with herbs (instead of gefilte fish)

Stuffed chicken with spinach and mushrooms

Vegetable kugel

Carrot salad with pineapple and apples

Aubergine in a tomato sauce

Fruit Compote

Chocolate Sorbet

Would it be entirely too off-topic to describe what a typical seder is like from start to finish? I've never been to one and would love to go to one, one of these days. Oh well, maybe next year.

Are there differences in proceedings, for instance, between Askhenazim and Sephardim?

Thanks in advance,

Soba

Would it be entirely too off-topic to describe what a typical seder is like from start to finish?  I've never been to one and would love to go to one, one of these days.  Oh well, maybe next year.

Are there differences in proceedings, for instance, between Askhenazim and Sephardim?

Thanks in advance,

Soba

Aw shucks, Soba. If I were a hostess instead of a Frequent Guest/Freeloader I'd certainly invite you for the cross cultural social experiment :smile: I think you'd find it quite interesting.

Imagine it thusly. A dinner party like any other, but with a script you must read from and songs to sing. A retelling of the tale of the Jews enslavement and persecution under the Pharoah in Egypt and the Exodus, symbolized in the items on the ceremonial platter in the center of the table. You say a lot of blessings - first over the holiday candles, over the matzah (enleavened bread), over four mandatory (> 4 glasses optional) glasses of wine throughout the Seder, over salted water (tears) with a sprig of parsley (hope of springtime and rebirth) you've dunked in it, and over the bitter herbs (usually a slice of horseradish root and symbolizing the bitterness of slavery) and Charoset. The Charoset is a fruit, nut and sweet wine mixture which varies wildly from Jewish culture to culture, but is meant to represent the mortar between the bricks that the Jews were forced to use to build the Egyptian temples and pyramids. The youngest person there must ask "The Four Questions", which are basically about why Passover is different from all other nights and lead into the retelling of the Exodus. You eat, and eat. Common menu themes are Gefilte Fish with Horseradish, Matzah Ball Soup, Brisket, other manner of protein that are sweetened with dried fruits (Apricot Chicken, Brisket with Prunes, etc) and fresh green vegetables that symbolize the springtime like Haricot Vert or Asparagus. Since there is no leavening allowed to be consumed, desserts tend to be flourless cakes, sponge cakes, fresh or cooked fruits and macaroons.

Seders are a lot of fun. Even if you aren't Jewish it really makes that Charleton Heston flick The Ten Commandments make a whole lot more sense. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Indeed!! Katie Loeb has done a masterful job of explaining the Seder of Passover in the finest detail ... and it is like the movie with Charleton Heston, only a lot shorter (and no Edward G. Robinson menacingly intoning "Ah, my sweet lily of the Nile"...), and we do re-run the seder and the meal every year without paying royalties! :laugh:

I concur with everything Katie said but would like to add the following.

1. Most seder meals also include rather sweet side dishes such as a kugel (without noodles) and/or a tzimmes.

2. Toward the end, following all of the major eating, the afikomen or last piece of matzoh is eaten. It has been separated and hidden earlier in the evening, then found by the kids who bargain for some type of remuneration with the seder leader so that the ceremony can conclude properly.

3. A ceremonial cup of wine is placed on the table and, near the end, the door is opened to welcome the prophet Elijah to the home. Story goes that Elijah will precede the Messiah and that he visits every seder on Passover -- sort of like Santa Claus on Xmas, except for the Messiah part.

4. The seder concludes with words wishing that next year, we all be in Jerusalem though often the host/hostess is wishing that next year the seder be at someone else's house.

5. Finally, no seder would be complete if there weren't at least one argument, um discussion, about "the way we always did it in our house" or "the right way to do this" or . . . well you get the idea.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks, Katie. I've never seen any of Mr. Heston's movies btw.

The Ten Commandments will undoubtedly be shown on this coming Easter weekend as it is every single year. Tape it if you have other plans. It's pretty long but it's a classic!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I could google for this but it's so much more convenient asking y'all (not to mention you'll get a million different responses. :biggrin: )

I thought kugel was a noodle/potato pudding?

Tzimmes is that grated carrot dish?

man, I've always seen these bandied about on eG but I've never had the courage to ask till now. (*ducks from incoming*)

heheh

Soba

BTW the actual "Seder" scene in the Ten Commandments makes no sense to me. I mean, the kid starts asking the Four Questions (like, he becomes the first kid ever to ask the Four Questions -- uh, no) and Moses explains why we eat bitter herbs and Matzah. Say what? The whole point of the Matzah question is to explain the whole rushing out of Egypt thing, which happens LONG AFTER that scene!

So let it be written... so let it be Done!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I thought kugel was a noodle/potato pudding?

Basically any starch casserole is a Kugel. Could be noodles, could be potato, could be Matzah, could be Matzah combined with a meat or a veg, like Spinach Kugel. The matzah ones come out texturally looking like a thanksgiving turkey stuffing, essentially and are served the same way with your basic meat. Most of them end up tasting a lot like them and require gravy on top too.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

BTW the actual "Seder" scene in the Ten Commandments makes no sense to me. I mean, the kid starts asking the Four Questions (like, he becomes the first kid ever to ask the Four Questions -- uh, no) and Moses explains why we eat bitter herbs and Matzah. Say what? The whole point of the Matzah question is to explain the whole rushing out of Egypt thing, which happens LONG AFTER that scene!

So let it be written... so let it be Done!

Well said! But it is Cecil's "vision" which sold many tickets and remains our classic "take" on the Passover ... I still lipsync the lines as I watch it ...

Kugel -- Most of the year it is traditionally a noodle pudding or some other variation. At Passover, no noodles but potato is OK. I usually make a fruit one with apples, prunes, matzah meal, eggs & cinnamon. There are any number of variations just as long as you leave out the hametz -- the various forbidden grain products.

Tzimmes -- Yes, again, most well known with carrot but the variations are only limited by the cooks imagination. The word literally means a great deal of fuss or excitement as in "Calm down, don't make such a tzimmes." Though cooking a tzimmes does not have to be a tzimmes.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I still lipsync the lines as I watch it ...

Oh yeah.. and Yul looks awesome as he gets into that Pharoah combat military getup, in that scene right before he jumps into the chariot to chase down the Hebrews.

Its not Pharoah's fault, really, though. I think Nefretiri was the ultimate nagging bitch wife that sent him over the edge. But man was Anne Baxter hot back then.